General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Default I need some advice

I've been attending a church here in town called Lincoln Park Baptist Church. I've not had any issues with things for the most part. But lately the new pastor from the Seattle area (my flags went off when I heard that alone) has been using greek a lot in his sermons when reading the KJB. Tonight in his sermon he kept on saying "well this is another one of those things that we've lost in the translation" etc. Now I take a hard line stance for the KJB being the fully preserved Word of our God, so naturally this rubbed me the wrong way. Now I might not be to concerned if it was only once he said this, but he's been using the lexicon definitions a whole lot lately, and tonight he used that "lost in translation" line at least 2 or 3 times. Now the other independant fundamentalist baptist church in town takes a stronger stance for the KJB (I've had coffee with the pastor and worshipped there a couple times), but the pastor is generally reformed in his theology. To be honest, I almost walked out of church today. I felt really uncomfortalbe with the sermon tonight and just don't know what I should do about it. I've always been very hasty in making decisions, so I wanted to ask you guys since I respect you all (even though I sometimes don't show it, and have been a pain in the rear at times). I'll pray about this tonight. Please let me know what you all think.

Much Love in Christ,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-15-2008, 03:18 AM

sucks to be you bro :P

Worst of both worlds - Bible correcting free willer vs a KJB reformist

Just move to florida :P
Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 AM

Stephen,

Often God uses the situations we are in to show us more of ourselves and our own attitudes. so learn about your own self first and formost.

secondly, pray about attending another church but get the blessing (letter) of your current church. In order to get that you will need to tell the Pastor why you want to change fellowship.

When he asks keep your cool and tell him exactly what you shared with us. do this with much prayer.

once done only two things can happen. he will change and ask you to stay or he will not and give you the blessing you want. take the blessing and move on.

Best to have the letter or blessing from them so that no one will claim you are a church hopper.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:24 PM

That pastors final authority is obviously the "Greek" not the King James Bible. He will "make" the Bible say what he wants it to with his education and lead all of you astray.

I would leave NOW and find a Biblebelieving work to attend and if one is not close enough, homechurch.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman View Post
That pastors final authority is obviously the "Greek" not the King James Bible. He will "make" the Bible say what he wants it to with his education and lead all of you astray.

I would leave NOW and find a Biblebelieving work to attend and if one is not close enough, homechurch.
Yeah that's what I wonder. I've only been at this church for about 6 weeks now. Chette's advice is very good, but does it apply to someone like myself that may be still in the 'checking the church out' phase? I have made a few friends there, and of course I'll let them know why I'm leaving. But should I get this man's blessing whom I hardly know?

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM

Stephen, have you spoken directly to the pastor? I get the sense that his pride will override his spirit, but you must take that step and do it soon. Next, do not initiate discussion with others. If someone asks if there is a problem, speak very carefully and cautiously. Like it or not, this man is the pastor. Undermining him, even though he may be wrong, will harm more than help.

Give him time to consider your position. Pray without ceasing that God will soften him. If things appear to be unchanged over a reasonable time, then for your family's sake, you must leave.

May God show His clear will to you, Brother!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Stephen, have you spoken directly to the pastor? I get the sense that his pride will override his spirit, but you must take that step and do it soon. Next, do not initiate discussion with others. If someone asks if there is a problem, speak very carefully and cautiously. Like it or not, this man is the pastor. Undermining him, even though he may be wrong, will harm more than help.

Give him time to consider your position. Pray without ceasing that God will soften him. If things appear to be unchanged over a reasonable time, then for your family's sake, you must leave.

May God show His clear will to you, Brother!
I haven't spoken with him yet. I will take your advice and avoid undermining him. I think I'll what to see what he says before I decide what I'm going to do. I'm not going to argue with him. I will tell him where I stand concerning the KJB, and then make my decision based on his response. I will also be praying (as I have been) about this.

Lots of good advice brothers. Much appreciated.

Peace and Love,
Stephen