Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Forum Administrator

Default King James, His Bible, and Its Translators

I just finished reading King James, His Bible, and Its Translators by Laurence Vance. I give this book a big thumbs up. It's only 150 pages long and is a quick read but seems like a history four times that size. Vance debunks quite a few myths about the KJV in this book.

The most interesting part of the book (to me) is the chapter A Standard Bible. Among other things, Vance shows that the KJV was very quickly accepted by believers as THE Bible, and while the "King James Only" term is usually used as an epithet by modern writers who claim it is a recent idea (20th century), the facts of history show that "King James Onlyism" as an attitude about the received Bible actually goes back to the seventeenth century.

This book is jam-packed with great stuff. It's very easy to read, except for perhaps the first chapter, which goes over a lot of details about King James taking the throne of England and gets a little bogged down with dates and names.

Here's just one great paragraph:
The president of the American Revision Committee, Philip Schaff (1819-1893), at the end of the chapter "The Authorized Version" in his Companion to the Greek Testament and the English Version (4th ed., Harper & Brothers, 1899), claims that "King James's Version can never recover its former authority, for revolutions never go backward. It is slowly by surely declining, and doomed to a peaceful death and honorable burial." But it is Schaff and the products of the Anglo-American revision movement that are dead; the King James 1611 Authorized Version yet lives.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 PM
ok.book.guy

Absolutely wonderful. I like VAnce very much. HIs writing and his publishing both are 1st class. I"ve read his major book on Calvinism. And I have and use his "Archaic words and the Authorized Version". I heard him interviewed a couple of times on the radio. He's really terrific.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Lively Stone

Bro. Brandon:

I will have to get that book. Sounds like an excellent read. These are some of the Books that really gave me inspiration and ammunition to fight the war agaist the New Perversions.

While Men Slept... Kevin F. Fannin, Ph.D
One Book Stands Alone- Dr. Douglas D. Stauffer
In Awe of Thy Word- Dr. Gail Riplinger
New Age Bible Versions- Dr. Gail Rilinger
King James Unjustly Accused- Stephen A. Coston Sr.

I am looking forward to: King James, His Bible, and Its Translators by Laurence Vance.

Bro. Danny
Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lively Stone View Post
While Men Slept... Kevin F. Fannin, Ph.D
This one is on the way from Amazon and next on my reading list.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

At the various Christian book stores around, they have modern versions galore books, but none of these books ever sold in stores, I have to buy them from Amazon.

Feel free to be superstitious on that one XD
Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Lively Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
This one is on the way from Amazon and next on my reading list.
Bro. Brandon

You will love it. A little different perpective in some ways. Don't let the size of it scare you. He backs up everything he says with referances that somtimes takes up some of the page. Love his section on the Jesuits and the Pope making himself infallible and the Word of God fallible in 1870. It is truly one of the deepest books I have ever read, with names, dates and what was done to undermine the Bible and set into motion through the Oxford movement and pave the way for Unitarinism and the Universal church, that led to the likes of Wescott and Hort to come up with a minority Greek text based on 44 measly corrupted Alexandrian manuscripts found in a monastery at the base of Mt. Sinai in a garbage can. This is now the Greek text used in the modern perversions instead of Erasmus's Textus Receptus Greek text and the 5,360+ Majority Byzantium manuscripts.

We must educate ourselves and pray that God through the Holy Spirit will guide us in this war for the preserved sacred word according to His will. I know we will win because God said He would preserve His Word. Come on Lord Jesus.

Bro. Danny