Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Default This is the first resurrection

Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

What is "the first resurrection" in these verses? Is it only referring to those at the end of the millennium, or does it incorporate the firsfruits (risen with Christ), harvest (rapture of the church), and gleanings (mid-end trib saints)?

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

The way it's worded in the Rev 20:5 is a challenge to explain to others, so I would appreciate any help to explain it more plainly.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM

it is the first resurrection of the dead found in the book of Revelation. you will notice that only those resurrected in this first resurrection are allowed to LIVE AND REIGN WITH HIM 1,000 YEARS. so they get to live with Christ and reign 1000 years after which they no longer will live and reign with him.

vs 6 tells us those in the first are not affected by the second death, and the second resurrection and death take place later in the chapter after first resurrected saint have lived and reigned with Christ 1000 years.

Christians will live forever with him, and reign with him forever as well because we are his body.

First fruit and the rapture of which Paul speaks are different. Matt 27 tells us saints graves were opened and they arose but they are not the martyred saints of Revelation, they are the first fruits of which Paul speaks. Neither are the saints who are raised and transformed into his image at the gathering in the clouds part of the first resurrection of Revelation. Ephesians tells us this is a mystery gathering and is not that of Revelation.

The confusion comes from substituting the church for Israel in the book of Revelation and most of that doctrine come from a long line from the pre-reformation period and has no true biblical basis. Rightly dividing will eventually reveal that some of our teaching of the church from the book of Revelation are indeed incorrect.

I hoped that helped a little

Last edited by chette777; 02-03-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Brother Kiwi and Brother Chette, I was looking for my more recent sermon concerning the "first resurrection" but haven't found it. I, however, found a lecture outline which I guess I wrote two years ago. Hope this helps.

THIS IS THE FIRST RESURRECTION
By Sammy G. Tabuena (2007)
  • BOOK OF DANIEL
Da 12:1
¶ And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book.

Da 12:2
And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

There are two resurrections according to Daniel
    • Resurrection to everlasting life
    • Resurrection to shame and everlasting contempt
  • BOOK OF LUKE:
Lu 14:12
Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.

Lu 14:13
But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:

Luke 14:14
And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Lu 14:15
¶ And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.

In the book of Luke, Christ said that the resurrection of the just will occur about the same time the kingdom of God is set up on earth.
  • BOOK OF JOHN
Joh 5:18
Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Joh 5:19
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Joh 5:21
For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

Joh 5:22
For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

Joh 5:23
That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Joh 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Joh 5:25
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Joh 5:28
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
Joh 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Joh 5:46
For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

Joh 5:47
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

According to Christ in the book of John, there are two resurrections
    • The resurrection of life
1)This is for those who have “done good”
2)Those who have “done good” are those who “believe”.
3)They are to “believe” that Christ is equal with God, and He is the Son of God
4)They will have “eternal life” if they believe that Christ is equal with God and He is the Son of God.
5)They also have to search the “scriptures” in order to know eternal life, and these scriptures are “Moses’s writings.
    • The resurrection of damnation
1)This is for those who have “done evil”
Martha said to Christ that the resurrection is at the last day.
a.This last day has to do with the coming of the Christ, the Son of God
b.“Christ, the Son of God” is the rock of the kingdom gospel

John 11:24
Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

John 11:26
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

John 11:27
She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

• BOOK OF REVELATION
Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
According to the Apostle John (who wrote the books of Revelation and John), the FIRST of the two resurrections in John 5:29 will occur before the Millennium, during the Second Coming after the Tribulation Period.

CONCLUSION:
The first of two resurrections of Daniel and John is defined by Christ and by John to be the resurrection at the Second coming of Christ. Daniel, Luke, and John could not have written about the resurrection at the Rapture. The resurrection at the rapture is the EXCLUSIVE revelation written by Paul
1Co 15:51
¶ Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

1Co 15:52
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
  • BOOK OF REVELATION
Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

According to the Apostle John (who wrote the books of Revelation and John), the FIRST of the two resurrections in John 5:29 will occur before the Millennium, during the Second Coming after the Tribulation Period.
Yes, this is what I believe about the "first resurrection" also. It's just the way it's worded in Rev 20:5 looks like it refers to the dead who lived not again until the thousand years were finished, but verse 6 does explain further that it is speaking of those who will reign with Christ a thousand years, so it can't be the dead who are raised after the millennium. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Biblestudent,

I don't think Daniel is saying say there are two resurrections but one resurrection with two outcomes. I think he only sees the GWT judgment resurrection

Revelation 20 the first resurrection is the dead who died during the tribulation for their testimony to live and reign 1000 years with Christ. And a second resurrection of the dead from all times before. some who will rise to everlasting life and some to everlasting contempt.

The living at the end of the Millennium will either be found in the Lambs book of life or they will have their Part in the lake that burneth with fire when they die.

For no one living can be resurrected. ie. church age saints living will be gathered not resurrected at the end of the church age. The living at the end of the trib will be part of the millenial Kingdom rule. the living at the end of the Millennial rule will will not be allowed to enter the City of the New Jerusalem. but are condemend to have their part inthe Lake of Fire.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Brother Chette,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
I don't think Daniel is saying say there are two resurrections but one resurrection with two outcomes. I think he only sees the GWT judgment resurrection
Daniel said "at that time". I think he saw two resurrections (or mabye, better said two kinds of resurrections)"at that time".

I have a more recent sermon entitled "AT THE LAST DAY", and it goes like this:
1.Job believes he will be resurrected "at the latter day".
2. Daniel saw a resurrection "at that time".
3. Jesus said the resurrection will be at "the last day".
4. Martha believes there is a resurrection "at the last day".
5. John who wrote John 5 (Jesus) and John 11 (Martha) explained in Revelation that that last day is a THOUSAND YEARS and that the FIRST RESURRECTION happens before it and the last resurrection happens after it.
Job, Daniel, Jesus, and Martha -- all of them believe the resurrection will be at a "last time" or at the "last day". Then Jesus revealed to John later on (progressive revelation) that that day is a thousand years and that the "two" resurrections are separated by the thousand years.

Quote:
Revelation 20 the first resurrection is the dead who died during the tribulation for their testimony to live and reign 1000 years with Christ. And a second resurrection of the dead from all times before. some who will rise to everlasting life and some to everlasting contempt.
In the light of the above, I believe the first resurrection is the most awaited "day" by the OT saints and those NT saints under the Kingdom gospel (that includes the Twelve and the Tribulation saints). The twelve apostles are looking forward to this resurrection (see last verses of Matthew 19), and John says, "THIS IS IT that we've been waiting for."

The first resurrection has been the subject of OT and NT prophecies, but the Rapture of the Church (Body of Christ) was skipped over for it is a mystery revealed to an apostle (Paul).

I hope this doesn't sound "hyperdispy", but I believe God has different promises to different groups of people living at different times. I had been taught that at the Rapture, all saints from Adam to the Church Age will be raptured. But now I see things in a different light:
1. OT saints are looking forward to a day.
2. The Twelve apostles and others under their ministry are looking forward to a day.
3. God carried John over to that day (Rev. 1:10) and gave him the Revelation of that day.
4. One of the great events that will start that day is the resurrection, and John wrote in Revelation 19, "THIS IS the first resurrection."
I know this is contrary to what some of my teachers have taught. I believe the rapture is a mystery event for the mystery body under a mystery gospel, and the prophesied resurrection is promised by OT and NT prophets to people under a prophetic gospel; but all receive the reward promised them by the same Lord.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
For no one living can be resurrected. ie. church age saints living will be gathered not resurrected at the end of the church age.
But you agree there will be a resurrection of dead church-age saints at the rapture, right?

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 AM

Kiwi, of course. but that is not this first resurrection at the beginning of the Millennial Dispensation

Bible student I agree that the OT saints Job etc did look forward to the end time resurrection as well as some Gospel saints like Martha and possibly the 12. (GWT is the end time after that there is no more time only eternity) and I would not go as far as to say they are the ones resurrected for their testimony of Jesus. those are ones from the trib not the OT saints.

they would be the ones whose names were found written in the book of life and whosoever were not were cast into the lake of fire.

the church is a mystery and its rapture or living and dead have nothing to do with the first fruits, harvest or the first and second Resurrections in Rev.

Dan 12:1, 2 it is two people groups one resurrection.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Kiwi, of course. but that is not this first resurrection at the beginning of the Millennial Dispensation
So you believe in multiple resurrections apart from the two in Revelation. I can see how you conclude this, I still disagree.

I only believe in two, one for the saved and one for the lost. The first one is in parts, beginning with Christ who is called the "firstfruits" in 1 Cori 15:20, but the firstfruits of what? Answer: the first resurrection! I believe the first resurrection is made up of three different groups which gather in their "own order" (1 Cori 15:23), I listed these in my opening post.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 AM

Maybe you are confusing resurrections with judgements? Resurrections in Revelation are only for the Dead. Maybe, the teaching you have received must have taught you all people are judged at the great white throne judgement. Daniels spoke of resurrections it was only for the dead. both in Revelation are for the dead. Look and see if you find any judgement of people who lived through the Millennial Kingdom? Where are those who are not Israel who did not rebel with Satan? They are still alive when the Lamb's book of life is open to let people in the New Jerusalem in 21. and why would anyone in eternity who is saved need to keep His commandments that they might enter the city and eat of the tree of life?

OK how many resurrections are found in the NT? Well we have a resurrection of the dead in Christ that one is part of the gathering to Him in the clouds nevermore to be apart from him. That is one resurrection that takes place prior to or at the Tribulation.

Then we have the first Resurrection of Dead Martyred saints from the tribulation (only) at the beginning of the Millennial Kingdom. that is two resurrections that take place before the Resurrection of the Dead of all ages at the throne of God.

Then the GWT Resurrection of the Dead from all ages before the Eternity with God. So That is three resurrections clearly found in the NT scriptures. the last resurrection the last time (as Daniel calls it) is done before eternity is setup, it is made of two groups of people those found in the book of life and those not found in the book of life. The Bible is clear only where those not found in the book of life go.

So how can you say you only see two resurrections? one for the Saved and one for the Unsaved? Dead and Living? Living people are not resurrected anywhere in the Bible only dead people. 2Tim 2 STUDY

Read and study the last three chapters of Revelation very closely and you will see that they (found in the bookof life) may go to the new Earth but not necessarily to the New Jerusalem, it says those who keep his commandments in 22 (I would assume they are new commandments not revealed yet as no reference to previous commandments are made) can enter in and eat of the tree of life. that will take place in the future eternity this has noting to do with today or the past. the book if prophecy as stated three times in Revelation.

I tried to figure out where all the living people are from the GWT judgement of the dead in chapter 20 until the New Earth appears in chapeter 21. No scripture anywhere to shed light. but God can keep them in his hand if need be.

Last edited by chette777; 02-14-2009 at 04:34 AM.