Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Swart View Post
What is happening, and what specifically may we pray for?
Are you asking me, brother, or illusionznc (who started the thread)? In my case, it's a number of things. But Christ is carrying me, as He has always done.

This may not sit well with all of the members of the forum, but that's for them to worry about: I happen to suffer from major Clinical Depression, and have done so for about 15 years. I am under a doctor's care, and my condition is greatly helped by medication, which corrects the chemical imbalance in my brain. (True Depression is simply the premature re-uptake of seratonin neurotransmitters.) By the ineffable grace of God, my emotional state, my "mood," is not a problem at all; I am cheerfully resting in God's grace. (And He has given me a sense of humor that helps, too!) But Depression has very definite physical symptoms: for example, I currently have no appetite, and have to force myself to eat. (I've lost 15 pounds recently, and my normal weight is only 165 to begin with!) Other symptoms include sleep disorders, what are delicately referred to as "libidinal fluctuations," and other things. The doctors have it under control, and God has the doctors under control! But it's difficult right now, and alienation from several of my grown children makes this season rather hard.

Some Christians distrust any talk of mental illness in the life of a Christian, but that's because God has spared them. Experienced pastors know the reality of such things. I used to think it was all bunk myself, until it hit me. But God doeth all things well: and He chose to give me this, instead of cancer or heart disease. He could have given me kidney stones! Yikes!

That's part of it. Suffice it to say that my signature quote has become my life's verse, and my heart's determination. I appreciate your prayers! Thanks for asking!

Last edited by Vendetta Ride; 12-24-2008 at 02:24 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
Are you asking me, brother, or illusionznc (who started the thread)? In my case, it's a number of things. But Christ is carrying me, as He has always done.

This may not sit well with all of the members of the forum, but that's for them to worry about: I happen to suffer from major Clinical Depression, and have done so for about 15 years. I am under a doctor's care, and my condition is greatly helped by medication, which corrects the chemical imbalance in my brain. (True Depression is simply the premature re-uptake of seratonin neurotransmitters.) By the ineffable grace of God, my emotional state, my "mood," is not a problem at all; I am cheerfully resting in God's grace. (And He has given me a sense of humor that helps, too!) But Depression has very definite physical symptoms: for example, I currently have no appetite, and have to force myself to eat. (I've lost 15 pounds recently, and my normal weight is only 165 to begin with!) Other symptoms include sleep disorders, what are delicately referred to as "libidinal fluctuations," and other things. The doctors have it under control, and God has the doctors under control! But it's difficult right now, and alienation from several of my grown children makes this season rather hard.

Some Christians distrust any talk of mental illness in the life of a Christian, but that's because God has spared them. Experienced pastors know the reality of such things. I used to think it was all bunk myself, until it hit me. But God doeth all things well: and He chose to give me this, instead of cancer or heart disease. He could have given me kidney stones! Yikes!

That's part of it. Suffice it to say that my signature quote has become my life's verse, and my heart's determination. I appreciate your prayers! Thanks for asking!
Your participation on this forum has benefited me. You are important to us. I especially appreciate your kind and tenderhearted spirit, brother. Thank you for being transparent.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Your participation on this forum has benefited me. You are important to us. I especially appreciate your kind and tenderhearted spirit, brother. Thank you for being transparent.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
Thank you, brother. That helps.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:58 PM

Default Re: " Pray for me"

Quote:
Thank you, brother. That helps.
I just want to add to Brother Forrest's comments - that I too have not only enjoyed your Posts (and sense of humor); but have benefited from your approach to the Scriptures and life in general.

The Lord willing, I would like to meet both you and brother Forrest (before the Lord returns), since both of you have been a real blessing to me.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:

You know what Brother?

The Lord works in the most marvelous and mysterious ways in showing us the way, and its by honest posts like this that others can be edified and comforted.
I spent a lot of my younger years involved in the "club scene" which involved a lot of drinking and narcotics, ecstacy mainly, cannabis and various other drugs. The long term effects of this shamefull time for me was depression, I have spent the last 6-7 years finding the correct balance and medication that keeps me on an even keel and until most recently when I tried to stop taking this medication because another brother told me that I shouldnt be on it as a Christian, I spent a month or so in dissorientation, praying to be released from the side effects, praying for strength to overcome the medication, but a few weeks in I just couldnt take the dizziness and the change in my mood any longer and started taking them again. Before I stopped I was feeling happy, I was joyful in the Lord, but after stopping I felt depressed again, sidetracked and not focused on the Lord and It suddenly came to me in Glorious truth, that it IS an illness, It DOES need treated and like any other disease God has used it to STRENGTHEN my faith in his will for me, I shall certainly stop listening to Pious believers who tell me the devil has me on these tablets and start listening to the Lord my Saviour who has me in his care through these tablets as has he any other Brother or Sister who is suffering from depression, or any other Illness. Vendetta Brother God Bless you for your honesty, this post from you has encouraged me in the Lord and made me feel Joyfull again rather than feeling like the medication was some form of bondage.

God Bless you and Yours

Matthew 11:28 the verse that brought me back to the Lord

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

I laboured and still do, and my Lord has certainly Given me rest
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 AM

Apologies to the original thread / prayer request starter for my post that didnt invlove the prayer request. I shall certainly pray that the Lord guides you in whatever situation has arisen in your life.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway
You know what Brother?

The Lord works in the most marvelous and mysterious ways in showing us the way, and its by honest posts like this that others can be edified and comforted.
I spent a lot of my younger years involved in the "club scene" which involved a lot of drinking and narcotics, ecstacy mainly, cannabis and various other drugs. The long term effects of this shamefull time for me was depression, I have spent the last 6-7 years finding the correct balance and medication that keeps me on an even keel and until most recently when I tried to stop taking this medication because another brother told me that I shouldnt be on it as a Christian, I spent a month or so in dissorientation, praying to be released from the side effects, praying for strength to overcome the medication, but a few weeks in I just couldnt take the dizziness and the change in my mood any longer and started taking them again. Before I stopped I was feeling happy, I was joyful in the Lord, but after stopping I felt depressed again, sidetracked and not focused on the Lord and It suddenly came to me in Glorious truth, that it IS an illness, It DOES need treated and like any other disease God has used it to STRENGTHEN my faith in his will for me, I shall certainly stop listening to Pious believers who tell me the devil has me on these tablets and start listening to the Lord my Saviour who has me in his care through these tablets as has he any other Brother or Sister who is suffering from depression, or any other Illness. Vendetta Brother God Bless you for your honesty, this post from you has encouraged me in the Lord and made me feel Joyfull again rather than feeling like the medication was some form of bondage.
Thank you, brother, and God bless you. As you know, Depression can lay dormant for an entire lifetime, waiting for some trigger or "precipitating incident:" in my case, it was my partner, the love of my life, abandoning me and taking my children. I suppose I had some sort of "nervous breakdown;" in any case, that's when the symptoms began. And some of the brethren don't understand it. The brethren have a deep-rooted distrust of psychiatry, which is understandable, because the theoreticians of psychiatry have traditionally been very hostile to Christianity. However, there are individual psychiatrists who are very positive and supportive. I am not currently under a psychiatrist's care (I get my meds from a general practitioner), but I have seen several over the years, and without exception they said that my faith in Jesus Christ was my greatest asset - - - and they encouraged me to stay faithful. And these weren't even Christians!

Anyway, it reminds me of the brethren who criticize parents who are forced, by economic necessity, to send their kids to public schools, instead of Christian schools or home schooling. It would be nice if all these worldly cares and fleshly weaknesses didn't exist, but since they do, we need to support one another.

Well, now I'm rambling. Thank you for your testimony, and your honesty!