Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM

Default CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine?

Over the past year there have been several Posts on this Forum concerning Calvinism (pro & con), and there are several members of this Forum, who I believe are genuine Bible believers, that also have embraced John Calvin's Doctrines. The following comments are in regards to statements and comments made about Calvinism (pro & con) on the Forum and are my personal beliefs regarding the issue.

For the last few months I have been doing a study on Calvinism (not yet completed) which is far too lengthy to post in a single Post, and so over the next few days (weeks? ) I shall Post my personal study on this issue in six parts - #1. An Introduction; #2. "Total Depravity"; #3. "Unconditional Election"; #4. "Limited Atonement"; #5. "Irresistible Grace"; and #6. "Perseverance of the Saints". {T.U.L.I.P. - the famous acronym associated with Calvinistic beliefs}

Doctrinal matters and differences cannot be settled by a couple of verses and a few comments. Although much of the Bible is "plain to him that understandeth", there "are some things hard to be understood". There is the "milk of the word" and then there is the "strong meat":

1 Corinthians 3:2
I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
Hebrews 5:12
For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Hebrews 5:13
For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
1 Peter 2:2
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
1 Corinthians 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Hebrews 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

When dealing with John Calvin's Doctrines (Calvinism) it is necessary to get into some "strong meat" and those who delve into this issue must - "have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil".
Quote:
The Five Points of Calvinism
{THE CALVINIST CORNER <> www.calvinistcorner.com}
There are two mains camps of theology within Christianity in America today: Arminianism and Calvinism. Calvinism is a system of biblical interpretation taught by John Calvin. Calvin lived in France in the 1500's at the time of Martin Luther who sparked the Reformation.

The system of Calvinism adheres to a very high view of scripture and seeks to derive its theological formulations based solely on God’s word. It focuses on God’s sovereignty, stating that God is able and willing by virtue of his omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, to do whatever He desires with His creation. It also maintains that within the Bible are the following teachings: That God, by His sovereign grace predestines people into salvation; that Jesus died only for those predestined; that God regenerates the individual, where he is then able and wants to choose God; and that it is impossible for those who are redeemed to lose their salvation.

Arminianism, on the other hand, maintains that God predestined, but not in an absolute sense. Rather, He looked into the future to see who would pick him and then He chose them. Jesus died for all peoples' sins who have ever lived and ever will live, not just the Christians. Each person is the one who decides if he wants to be saved or not. And finally, it is possible to lose your salvation (some Armenians believe you cannot lose your salvation).

Basically, Calvinism is known by an acronym: T.U.L.I.P.
Total Depravity (also known as Total Inability and Original Sin)
Unconditional Election
Limited Atonement (
also known as Particular Atonement)
Irresistible Grace
Perseverance of the Saints (
also known as Once Saved Always Saved)
These five categories do not comprise Calvinism in totality. They simply represent some of its main points.

Total Depravity:
Sin has affected all parts of man. The heart, emotions, will, mind, and body are all affected by sin. We are completely sinful. We are not as sinful as we could be, but we are completely affected by sin.
The doctrine of Total Depravity is derived from scriptures that reveal human character: Man’s heart is evil (Mark 7:21-23) and sick (Jer. 17:9). Man is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:20). He does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12). He cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14). He is at enmity with God (Eph. 2:15). And, is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3). The Calvinist asks the question, "In light of the scriptures that declare man’s true nature as being utterly lost and incapable, how is it possible for anyone to choose or desire God?" The answer is, "He cannot. Therefore God must predestine."
Calvinism also maintains that because of our fallen nature we are born again not by our own will but God’s will (John 1:12-13); God grants that we believe (Phil. 1:29); faith is the work of God (John 6:28-29); God appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48); and God predestines (Eph. 1:1-11; Rom. 8:29; 9:9-23).

Unconditional Election:
God does not base His election on anything He sees in the individual. He chooses the elect according to the kind intention of His will (Eph. 1:4-8; Rom. 9:11) without any consideration of merit within the individual. Nor does God look into the future to see who would pick Him. Also, as some are elected into salvation, others are not (Rom. 9:15, 21).

Limited Atonement:
Jesus died only for the elect. Though Jesus’ sacrifice was sufficient for all, it was not efficacious for all. Jesus only bore the sins of the elect. Support for this position is drawn from such scriptures as Matt. 26:28 where Jesus died for ‘many'; John 10:11, 15 which say that Jesus died for the sheep (not the goats, per Matt. 25:32-33); John 17:9 where Jesus in prayer interceded for the ones given Him, not those of the entire world; Acts 20:28 and Eph. 5:25-27 which state that the Church was purchased by Christ, not all people; and Isaiah 53:12 which is a prophecy of Jesus’ crucifixion where he would bore the sins of many (not all).

Irresistible Grace:
When God calls his elect into salvation, they cannot resist. God offers to all people the gospel message. This is called the external call. But to the elect, God extends an internal call and it cannot be resisted. This call is by the Holy Spirit who works in the hearts and minds of the elect to bring them to repentance and regeneration whereby they willingly and freely come to God. Some of the verses used in support of this teaching are Romans 9:16 where it says that "it is not of him who wills nor of him who runs, but of God who has mercy"; Philippians 2:12-13 where God is said to be the one working salvation in the individual; John 6:28-29 where faith is declared to be the work of God; Acts 13:48 where God appoints people to believe; and John 1:12-13 where being born again is not by man’s will, but by God’s.

Perseverance of the Saints:
You cannot lose your salvation. Because the Father has elected, the Son has redeemed, and the Holy Spirit has applied salvation, those thus saved are eternally secure. They are eternally secure in Christ. Some of the verses for this position are John 10:27-28 where Jesus said His sheep will never perish; John 6:47 where salvation is described as everlasting life; Romans 8:1 where it is said we have passed out of judgment; 1 Corinthians 10:13 where God promises to never let us be tempted beyond what we can handle; and Phil. 1:6 where God is the one being faithful to perfect us until the day of Jesus’ return.
Before we can deal with a particular issue concerning the Holy Scriptures, it is best if we define the issue (or the parameters concerning the issue). I believe that the foregoing description of Calvinism is a fair representation of what Calvinists believe (Please Notice: The above description of Calvinism is NOT what I “think” it is – the definition is by Calvinists themselves.)

Let me state from the start: I am NOT a “Calvinist”; or an “Armenian”; or a “Ruckmanite”; or any other kind of “ist’, “ian”, or “ite”! I am simply a Bible believing Christian. I do NOT believe in, NOR follow “Calvinism”, “Arminianism”, “Ruckmanism”, or any other man made “ism”! I believe in the Holy Scriptures (the King James Bible), and endeavor to follow them – NOT men!

Before we begin a Scriptural examination of John Calvin’s doctrine (Calvinism), in addition to defining Calvinism, it is necessary to define (according to the Scriptures) the “Attributes” of both God and man, in order to establish a Biblical Foundation upon which to build good, sound, pure, and uncorrupt doctrine. Later on in this study, it shall become clear as to why it was necessary to first, establish what man’s “attributes” are, and to discern the distinct purpose each one of them serves.

THE BIBLE’S DESCRIPTION OF GOD

God Is a Tri-Part Being – {Body – Soul – Spirit = God's "Substance"}

1 John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: {NOTICE: “NAME” - NOT “NAMES”!}

The Substantive Attributes of God are: God Is Eternal = I AM

Self Existing {Without Beginning or End of Existence / Immortal-Perpetual-Unchangeable}

Omniscient {All-Knowing - All-Seeing}

Omnipotent {All Powerful – Unlimited Power}

Omnipresent {Everywhere - Present in all places at the same time}

God Possesses a Heart and a Mind = {God’s “Faculties”}

1 Samuel 2:35 And I will raise me up a faithful priest, that shall do according to that which is in mine heart and in my mind: and I will build him a sure house; and he shall walk before mine anointed for ever.

Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

Job 23:13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.

Romans 11:34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?

The Moral Attributes of God are: God Is HOLY

HOLY{Perfectly Pure – Sacred) {HOLINESS is God’s Primary Moral Attribute}

Just {Righteous, Principled, Upright, Equitable, Impartial}

Truth
{True, Genuine, Faithful, Honest, Veracity, Fidelity}

Love
{Benevolence, Good Will, Charitable}

Mercy
{Grace, Pardon, Compassionate, Pitiful}

THE BIBLE’S DESCRIPTION OF MAN

Man is a Tri-Part Being – {Body - Soul - Spirit = Man’s Substance}
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Substantive Attributes of Man are: Man is Mortal
(With Beginning and End – Subject to Death, Judgment & Eternal Punishment)

Man Has:
{Limited Knowledge & Limited Understanding}

{Limited Power & Limited Abilities}

{A Limited Presence – Confined to His Body}

Man possesses a Heart, a Mind, & a Conscience* = {Man’s “Faculties”}

1 Chronicles 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Mark
12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Titus 1:15Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

1 Timothy 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

* Adam was originally created in the “Image of God” (Body, Soul, Spirit, Heart, and Mind).

It is my belief that Adam acquired a conscience along with his sinful nature (and passed these on to mankind) when Adam and Eve sinned and disobeyed God by partaking of the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

The Main Purpose of Man’s Three (3) Faculties

The HEART - MOTIVATES

The MIND - FACILITATES

The CONSCIENCE - REGULATES

The Moral Attributes of Man are: Man is Sinful
{All men & women are born with a sinful naturewhich adversely affects all of their “Attributes”}

ALL OF MAN’S ATTRIBUTES: Man’s “Substance” {Body-Soul-Spirit} and Man’s “Faculties” {Heart-Mind-Conscience} are adversely affected by his/her sinful nature – and as such:

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” [Romans 3:23]

A Scriptural examination into the nature of the attributes of man reveals that, unlike all of God’s other creatures upon earth, man is a “spiritual” being {soul, spirit, heart, mind, conscience} living within a physical body {ourflesh”}.

The following are the Scriptural Definitions of the words body, soul & spirit {our substance} and conscience, mind, & heart {our faculties} Webster’s & Strong’s aren't much help when it comes to "spiritual" definitions of certain Bible words of spiritual importance.

THE BODY (FLESH) = Our Tabernacle [2 Peter 13-14]:
The Scriptures describe the body (flesh) as being that substance within which our soul, spirit, conscience, mind, and heart reside.

THE SOUL {Approximately 498 Verses} = Our Essence:
According to the Scriptures the soul is that substance within a man or a woman, which is the very essence of their being. The soul within a man or woman is that substance that distinguishes mankind from all of the other living creatures in God’s creation. The soul is that substance which separates an individual from every other individual and makes them unique.

THE SPIRIT {Approximately 134 Verses} = Our Life:
The spirit (pertaining only to mankind) is that substance {which is given by God} within a man or woman wherein our very life resides i.e. the spirit is life itself. In the Bible the spirit is separate and distinct from the heart and the soul in purpose, though it may have some similar characteristics.

THE CONSCIENCE {Approximately 30 Verses} = Our Regulator:
The conscience is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides the awareness of right and wrong (good and evil), and which influences the heart and mind as to the lawfulness or unlawfulness of our own affections & actions. According to the Scriptures the human heart and conscience are separate and distinct from each other in purpose and in operation. {Approximately 30 verses}

THE MIND {Approximately 108 Verses} = Our Facilitator:
The mind is that faculty within a man or woman wherein resides our intellect or intelligence. In the Bible the mind is separate and distinct from the heart in purpose, though sometimes similar in function and operation.

THE HEART {{Approximately 876 Verses} = Our Motivator

The heart is that faculty within a man or woman which is the center or seat of our: 1. thoughts, 2. meditations, 3. considerations, 4. perceptions, 5. concepts, 6. reasoning, 7.understanding, 8. beliefs, 9.imaginations, 10. fears, 11. doubts, 12. counsels, 13. intents, 14. desires (affections - emotions), and 15. pride. The heart is where the 16. will resides and operates.

1. Job 17:11; 2. Psalms 19:14; 3. Deuteronomy 8:5; 4. Deuteronomy 29:4; 5. Acts 5:4; 6. Mark 2:8; 7. Proverbs 8:5; 8. Romans 10:9-10; 9. Genesis 6:5; 10. Isaiah 35:4, Luke 21:26; 11. Mark 11:23; 12. Jeremiah 7:24; 13. Hebrews 4:12; 14. Psalms 37:4, Colossians 3:2; 15. 2 Chronicles 32:26; 16. Psalms 101:2, Psalms 119:69, Psalms 119:145, Isaiah 32:6, 1 Corinthians 7:37, Ephesians 6:6.

It is absolutely necessary to define words and establish parameters when it comes to Scriptural issues in order to demonstrate that ALL of the attributes of man (Substance & Faculties) are clearly different from each other and serve a separate and distinct purpose, although at times, some may be similar in function and operation (for instance: the soul & spirit, or the mind & heart).

The problem is, that for all of these years (since the time of Calvin and before), most of the “scribes” and “scholars” have failed to DEFINE the “ATTRIBUTES” of man {according to the Scriptures}, and in failing to do so, they often confused (i.e. mixed up) the “soul” & the “spirit” (of man). Most of the Reformers believed that man was a “dichotomy” (that man’s “Substance” consisted of just a body and a soul/spirit – believing that the soul & the spirit were one and the same thing!)

And not only that, they either failed to recognize the importance of our “Faculties” (Heart, Mind, & Conscience); or to distinguish between the “heart”, the “mind” and the “conscience”; or they thought that they all were the "same" - which they are NOT! (Psychiatrists and Psychologists make the same mistake today – thinking that our physical brain = our heart, our mind, and our conscience – which it does NOT! [1Corinthians 2:16 & Philippians 2:5]

We are now ready to examine the doctrine of John Calvin (Calvinism) in the light of the God’s Holy Scriptures {The King James Bible}:

Firstly - I do not accept the premise that: There are two mains camps of theology within Christianity in America today: Arminianism and Calvinism.

There is a “THIRD CAMP” (that most Calvinists refuse to recognize), of which I am a member. I will not let anyone “classify” me (or what I believe) in ONLY ONE of two possible camps, simply because they do not believe that a “Third Camp” exists – or because they refuse to recognize it. And herein lays my first “problem” with Calvinism (or more properly – with some Calvinists): When there is a disagreement amongst Christians (over doctrine or issues of importance), the ability to “DEFINE” the issues cannot be controlled by only one of those parties!

Let us calmly (& respectfully) examine what has been said about Calvinism (and Arminianism) in the light of the Holy Scriptures and try to see what God has to say about the matter. {Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.} See also:John 5:39

According to the Calvinists:
Calvinism is a system of biblical interpretation taught by John Calvin.”
and:
“The system of Calvinism adheres to a very high view of scripture and seeks to derive its theological formulations based solely on God’s word.”

Whether the claim that Calvinism honestly -adheres to a very high view of scripture and seeks to derive its theological formulations based solely on God’s word.” {All Denominations, Sects, and Cults basically make the same claims} is true or not, is not as important as the fact thata system of biblical interpretation and theological formulations are NOT Scripture – they are interpretations and formulations about Scripture, postulated and put forth by a man, and therefore subject to error (regardless of a supposed high view of Scripture . . . . based solely on God’s word).

I do not subscribe to a system of biblical interpretation or theological formulations derived by a mere man (or men), simply because he may have been “brilliant” or “sincere”, and was able to “codify” or “formulate” the Holy Scriptures into a system of biblical interpretation that may, or may not be true, but “makes sense” or “rings true” to some Christians.

I am very wary of all biblical systems of interpretation – since there are so many systems of theological formulations out in the world today that are false and contrary to “the Scripture of truth” - Hence my “concern” with all so-called Systematic Theologies. {Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.}

Calvinism: focuses on God’s sovereignty, stating that God is able and willing by virtue of his omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, to do whatever He desires with His creation. {To which I believe that all genuine Bible believers would agree with and subscribe to.}

Calvinism:also maintains that within the Bible are the following teachings: That God, by His sovereign grace predestines people into salvation; that Jesus died only for those predestined; that God regenerates the individual, where he is then able and wants to choose God; and that it is impossible for those who are redeemed to lose their salvation. {I will deal with each of these points individually, as I proceed with my comments – except to say that, of the supposed “teachings” within the Bible, I can only agree with the last statement - only as stated.}

Calvinists Claim:Arminianism, on the other hand, maintains that God predestined, but not in an absolute sense. Rather, He looked into the future to see who would pick him and then He chose them. Jesus died for all peoples' sins who have ever lived and ever will live, not just the Christians. Each person is the one who decides if he wants to be saved or not. And finally, it is possible to lose your salvation (some Armenians believe you cannot lose your salvation)”.

If the above representation of Arminianism is true, then there is a clear difference between what I believe and the doctrines of both “Calvinism” and “Arminianism”:

1. Unlike Arminianism (or as Calvinists purportedly report) - I did notPICK” the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour! I HEARD “the Gospel of Christ” (the same one preached by the Apostle Paul – [Romans 1:16, 15:19, 15:29]; and BELIEVED (in my heart) the word[Romans 10:17] ofGod concerning Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection [1 Corinthians 15:1-4]; and RECEIVED the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour [John 1:12] and became a son of God.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

I did not “PICK” Christ as my Saviour – I BELIEVED on Him and He saved me!

2. Unlike Calvinism - I believe that The Lord Jesus Christ’s sacrificial death and shed blood are totally sufficient for the sins of the whole world, but are only efficacious for those people who BELIEVE on Him!

1 Timothy 4:10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that BELIEVE.

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

3.Unlike the way Calvinist’s explain how I supposedly believe (I just “decide”) or the way Arminianism may actually be - I just don’t DECIDE if I “want to be saved or not” – I must first BELIEVE the Gospel, before God saves me [Ephesians 1:13].

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that BELIEVE on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. {“nor of the will of the flesh” - I don’t DECIDE anything! God determined before the world began that those who will BELIEVE on His son shall be saved!}

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever BELIEVETH in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever BELIEVETH in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through himmight be saved.
18 He that BELIEVETH on him is not condemned: but he that BELIEVETH NOT is condemned already, because he hath NOT BELIEVED in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Notice - the “operative word” in all of the above testimony is “BELIEVE” (i.e. BELIEF). I believe that before anyone can receive salvation, they must first “BELIEVE” THE Gospel of Christ and then (and only then) will God save them.

4. Unlike most Armenians - I DO NOT believe that once a person is saved (born again) that they can “lose” their salvation. And Unlike most Calvinists -I believe GOD PRESERVES His saints – NOT in “the perseverance of the saints”.

Psalms 31:23 O love the LORD, all ye his saints: for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.
Psalms 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
Psalms 97:10 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

Can any honest person say that I am a Calvinist? Does anyone sincerely believe that I am an Armenian? I trow not! I am a Bible believing Christian and refuse to join either “camp”. I guess you could say that I am “outside the camp” (and in good company!)

In my next Post I shall comment on the Calvinist doctrine of "TOTAL DEPRAVITY" {What I personally believe to be the "Linch Pin" of John Calvin's entire "doctrine" and upon which most of his other "doctrines" rest.}
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Bro. Parrish

Coming from an independent Baptist background, I never had any use for the "tulip theology,"---to me it's just always been leaven. But I was surprised to read that nearly 30 percent of recent SBC seminary graduates now serving as church pastors indicate they are Calvinists. Amazing.
http://www.christianpost.com/church/...-29/index.html
Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Re: " CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine?"

Aloha all,

And now on toT.U.L.I.P. {the famous acronym associated with Calvinistic beliefs} This is my second Post (#2) in regards to the Doctrine of Calvinism. What follows is my comments in regards to the "First Tenant" of Calvinism - "TOTAL DEPRAVITY":

*T = “Total Depravity” (also known as Total Inability and Original Sin)

The very first thing to note is: The wordsDEPRAVE”, “DEPRAVED”, orDEPRAVITYcannot be found in the Holy Bible. This is always a “Red Flag” for me, since so much of False Doctrine (Psychiatry/Psychology for example) is associated with “wordsnot found in the Bible.

Calvinists state:
“Sin has affected all parts of man. The heart, emotions, will, mind, and body are all affected by sin. We are completely sinful. We are not as sinful as we could be, but we are completely affected by sin.”

{Please notice the failure to “rightly divide” man’s attributes:“Sin has affected all parts of man. The heart, emotions, will, mind, and body are all affected by sin.” What happened to the conscience; the soul; and the spirit? According to the Holy Bible the “emotions” and the “will” both fall under the purpose and function of the heart – they are NOT separate “parts of man”!}

Calvinists state:
“The doctrine of Total Depravity is derived from scriptures that reveal human character: Man’s heart is evil (Mark 7:21-23) and sick (Jer. 17:9). Man is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:20). He does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12). He cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14). He is at enmity with God (Eph. 2:15). And, is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3).”

The use of the TERM:“The doctrine of Total Depravity is NOT based on Scriptural words and is introducing a foreign concept not found in the Scriptures. The “claim” that Jeremiah 17:9 says: “man’s heart is . . . . SICK is utterly false since the Holy Bible says NOTHING OF THE KIND! [Jeremiah 17:9The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?] I have no idea where the Calvinists get the word “sick” from - I just know that the word “sick” (as applied to the heart) is NOT in the Holy Bible.

And again - Exchanging the word slave for the King James Bible wordservantin Romans 6:20 is clearly another example of men trying to “prove” something by both ADDING to, and CHANGING the words of God. [Romans 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.]

{Please notice the SUBTIL CHANGE in connotation from the words: “DESPERATELY WICKED” to“SICK”. “Desperately wicked” indicates an individual evil act of the “will”; “SICK” indicates an uncontrollable “disease” (hello Freud!). A “SERVANT” indicates someone who “willingly” serves; a “SLAVE” indicates someone who is unwillingly serving against their will. Did you notice – that both CHANGES to the Holy words of God are thinly disguised to bolster the Calvinist position and subtlety strengthened the argument in favor of Calvin’s doctrine of “TOTAL DEPRAVITY”?

I believe a more Scriptural description of man’s state would be to say: That all men are born with Adam’s sinful nature. [1Corinthians 15:44-49]; and that all men “come short of the Glory of God” [Romans 3:23] and so - “in Adam all die”. [1Corinthians 15:22]

According to the Bible - the state of all men and women born into this world is best described as being “SINFUL” – NOTTotally Depraved”. All men and women are “Sinners” – NOTTotallyDepraved”. The Scriptures describe all men and women {without God} as “the NATURAL man” – NOT the “Totally Depraved” man [1Corinthians 2:14]. By describing all men & women as being“Totally Depraved” the Calvinists have changed the parameters (words) of the issue – making a man incapable of even BELIEVING unless he is “regenerated” FIRST! God grants that we believe (Phil. 1:29); and God appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48); or as the “Center for Reformed Theology and Apologetics” puts it: “The unregenerate (unsaved) man is dead in his sins (Romans 5:12). Without the power of the Holy Spirit, the natural man is blind and deaf to the message of the gospel (Mark 4:11f). This is why Total Depravity has also been called "Total Inability”. The man without knowledge of God will never come to this knowledge without God's making him alive through Christ (Ephesians 2:1-5).” But, “what saith the Scriptures”? [Ephesians 1:13In whom ye also trusted, AFTER that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also AFTER that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,]

And herein is the first major difference between most Calvinists and myself. In their concern for men having absolutely NOTHING to do with EARNING their salvation, the Calvinist (through the doctrine of “TOTAL DEPRAVITY”) make it impossible for a man (or woman) to even BELIEVE – unless they are “regenerated” FIRST!

Now, I believe that there is NOTHING we can DO to EARN God’s Salvation; but there is SOMETHING that we MUST DO to RECEIVE God’s Salvation – WE MUST FIRST BELIEVE!
THE QUESTION IS: . . .Sirs, WHAT MUST I DO to be saved? THE BIBLICAL ANSWER: And they said, BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
[Acts 16:30-31]

There is a huge difference between sinful men (and women) being unable (in the flesh) to DO anything to EARN their Salvation, and men and women first “BELIEVING” the Gospel (with their heart) in order to RECEIVE God’s Free Gift of Eternal Salvation!

Now the Calvinists (in their concern for man having NOTHING to do with his Salvation) cannot accept that we BELIEVE before we are regenerated (for, according to Calvinism, that would be a WORK on the part of man, and since Salvation is:Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;[Titus 3:5] then (according to the Calvinists) we must be “regenerated” before we can believe – since BELIEVING (according to Calvinists) is a WORK. But BELIEF is solely an operation and function of the HEART – NOT the flesh! “WORKS of righteousness” are done in the FLESH. The heart is our “faculty” where our will resides; the flesh is our “substance” that produces WORKS!

As I said before - the problem is: that for all of these years (since the time of Calvin) – most of the “scribes” & “scholars” have failed to clearly DEFINE the “ATTRIBUTES” of man {according to the Holy Scriptures}, and in failing to do sothey have confused (i.e. mixed up) “works” that are done in the “flesh”, and BELIEF {an operation solely performed by the heart}. And not only that, in failing to discern between our SUBSTANCE (body, soul, & spirit), and our FACULTIES (heart, mind, & conscience) they have ended up attributing “works” to an attribute of man (the heart) that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual performance or execution of “works”.

Remember - The Biblical definition of the Heart: {Our Motivator}

The heart is that faculty within a man or woman which is the center or seat of our thoughts, meditations, considerations, perceptions,concepts, reasoning, understanding, beliefs, fears, imaginations,doubts,counsels,intents, desires (affections - emotions), and pride. The heart is where the will resides and operates.

Do you see anything resembling “works” in the Scriptural definition of the heart listed above (listed earlier – with scripture references)? The heart “motivates” us to do good or evil, but (I repeat) “works” are an operation of the “flesh” – NOT our heart!

WE BELIEVE GOD ONLY WITH OUR HEART

Mark 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Luke 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

[Genesis 45:26 And told him, saying, Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. And Jacob's heart fainted, for he believed them not.

Mark 16:14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:]

The Bible record is clear: We believe God with our heart. I cannot find a single verse in the Bible where we believe God with our soul, our spirit, our mind, our conscience, or our body! I cannot find a commandment or requirement in the Holy Bible for us to believe God with our soul, our spirit, our mind, our conscience, or our body! As a matter of fact, the Bible clearly indicates that man believes only with his heart!

Out of the approximately 876 verses in the Bible with the word heart or hearts in them – only one verse connects the heart with “work”:Isaiah 32:6 For the vile person will speak villany, and his heart will work iniquity, to practise hypocrisy, and to utter error against the LORD, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and he will cause the drink of the thirsty to fail. And you will notice - that the “work” described therein are all the “works of the flesh” –practise hypocrisy”, “utter error against the LORD”, “to make empty the soul of the hungry”, “to cause the drink of the thirsty to fail.”

Work (“works”) are always connected with the “flesh” – Belief (believing) is always connected with the “heart”. BELIEVING IS NOT A “WORK” (OR “WORKS”)! BELIEVING is an act of our will, which falls under the purpose and function of our heart – NOT our “flesh”!

Notice the difference:

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 5:19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The Scriptures are clear: “WORKS” are clearly connected with the “flesh”. The “WORKS of the flesh” are the result of a blind and deceived heart; a blind, corrupt, and carnal mind; and a conscience that has been defiled and seared. Just like there is a distinction between “works” and “fruit [Galatians 5:19-23; Ephesians 5:9], there is a difference between “works” (of the flesh) and “belief” (of the heart). We are clearly told in the Bible that there are “divisions” in the word of God [2 Timothy 2:15]; the man (or men) who overlooks or misses those “divisions” will end up believing a lie and teaching false doctrine.

In the following verses we have a perfect example of the difference between the operation of the heart and the "works of the flesh”. This difference can be clearly seen in David’s heart desire to build a Temple for God – but never actually doing the “WORK”:

1 Chronicles 28:2 Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building:
3 But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build an house for my name, because thou hast been a man of war, and hast shed blood.

2 Chronicles 6:7 Now it was in the heart of David my father to build an house for the name of the LORD God of Israel.
8 But the LORD said to David my father, Forasmuch as it was in thine heart to build an house for my name, thou didst well in that itwas in thine heart:

1 Kings 8:17 And it was in the heart of David my father to build an house for the name of the LORD God of Israel.
18 And the LORD said unto David my father, Whereas it was in thine heart to build an house unto my name, thou didst well that it was in thine heart.

Please Notice that: Although “it was in the heart of David to build an house for the Lord God of Israel” – He never did the “WORK”! That is – the desire; the will; and the intent were there (In His HEART!), but he never did do the “WORK” (in the flesh)! And yet God commended him because “it was in his heart”. According to the foregoing Scriptures the desire, will, and intent of the heart is NOT the same as actual “WORK”! The two things are clearly NOT the same!

The thoughts and intents of the heart are not equal tothe works of the flesh”, although “works” proceed from out of the heart. [Matthew 15:19-20; Mark 7:21-23]

When we study the Holy Scriptures we are presented with an apparent dilemma; How to “rightly divide” between the Bible’s record of the obvious “sinfulness” of all men (and women) on the one hand, and the testimony that there were some men (& women) that were declared “good”, “perfect”, “upright”, “righteous”, etc. The Calvinist doctrine of “TOTAL DEPRAVITY” overlooks this clear Bible testimony of men, who were obviously “Sinners”, and yet were also declared to be “good”, “perfect”, “upright”, “righteous”, etc. {NOT – “TOTALLY DEPRAVED”!}

The “problem” faced by all students of the Bible is: how does one “rightly divide” between all of the verses testifying to the utter sinfulness of all mankind on the one hand – such as:

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Ecclesiastes 9:3 This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
7 And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities.

Psalms 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Psalms 53:3 Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Romans 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

And the clear testimony that there have been some men & women, who, even though they were not “sinless”, were declared to be - “good”, “perfect”, “upright”, “righteous”, etc. Therein lays the apparent “dilemma” or “problem” for those who study the Bible – How do we “square” the two opposing testimonies? For example – The Bible testimonyabouta good man: [2Samuel 18:27; Psalms 37:23; 112:5; Proverbs 12:2; 13:22; 14:14; Micah 7:2; - Matthew 12:35; Luke 6:45; 23:50; John 7:12; Acts 11:24; Romans 5:7]

Calvin’s solution was to declare all men and women to be “TOTALLY DEPRAVED” – unable (on their own) to be “good”, “perfect”, “upright”, “righteous”, etc., without the supernatural intervention of God actually “changing” them first - “regenerating” Old Testament saints before “The Atonement”, and turning them into automated “robots”, so that they can do good works, etc. Calvin failed to differentiate (“rightly divide”) between the body (“flesh”) and the heart.

I believe that the testimony of the Holy Scriptures presents a very different picture of man’s state than that presented by John Calvin:

Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: Why is it that Abel willingly offered – “a more excellent sacrifice than Cain”? How is it that because of Abel’s obedience (willingly offering “the more excellent sacrifice”) he obtained witness that he was righteous - If men are “Totally Depraved”?

Abel “believed” God and “acted” (in obedience) on his belief by willingly (there’s the “heart”!) bringing the “right” sacrifice”. [1John 3:12]

Genesis 4:26And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: What are they doing - “calling upon the name of the Lord”?

Men do not “call upon the name of the Lord”, unless they first “believe” in Him.

Genesis 5:22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: What is God doing – “walking with” Enoch?

If men are “Totally Depraved”: How in the world could Enoch possibly have - “pleased God”? Enoch could not have possibly “walked with God” without first “believing” in Him.

Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it that the Scriptures testify that - “Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations? How can someone be “Totally Depraved” and “just” & “perfect” at the same time? Hmmm?

If men are “Totally Depraved”: What was God doing – “walking with” Noah?

Noah “believed” God about the impending world wide Flood and acted on that belief by building the Ark - to the saving of himself and his family.

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it that the Bible commends Job and claims that Job – was “perfect”, “upright”, “feared God” and “eschewed evil”? How does a “Totally Depraved” man act that way?

Job “believed” in God and he honored God with his lips (his testimony) and sacrificed to God in accordance to God’s requirements.

Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it that the Lord God commends Job (twice) and states that Job – was “perfect”, “upright”, “feared God” and “eschewed evil”? How does a “Totally Depraved” man act this way?

Genesis 18:23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
If men are “Totally Depraved”: Who then are “the righteous”? How can anyone be considered “righteous” and “Totally Depraved” at the same time?

The “righteous” are those men (and women) who “believed” God (like Lot).

Abraham “believed” God and left his homeland (in obedience to God’s command) based on his belief. And when Abraham was ordered to sacrifice his only son, he “believed” that God was able to resurrect him.

Romans 4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it that Abraham was called – “the friend of God”? Does a Holy and Righteous God make “friends” with “Totally Depraved” men (or women)? I trow not!

Abraham was called “the friend of God” based on his “belief” in God and God’s promises.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it that the Lord Jesus Christ called His disciples “friends”. How can the perfect, sinless, Holy Son of God call “Totally Depraved” (unregenerate) men –“friends”?

Acts 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it Possible that David – “was a man after mine (God’s) own heart”?

David “was a man after mine (God’s) own heart” because he “believed” in God and in His Holy word, and trusted in God to keep His Promises concerning the Kingdom. It was David’s “belief” (with his heart) that God recognized and honored – certainly NOT some of his “works”!

1 Kings 3:6 And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How could all of these things that are said about David be true?

David “walked before thee {God} in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart” because of his “belief” in God and in His Holy word.

1 Kings 9:4 And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments:

1 Kings 11:4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

1 Kings 14:7 Go, tell Jeroboam, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Forasmuch as I exalted thee from among the people, and made thee prince over my people Israel,
8 And rent the kingdom away from the house of David, and gave it thee: and yet thou hast not been as my servant David, who kept my commandments, and who followed me with all his heart, to do that only which was right in mine eyes;
1 Kings 15:1 Now in the eighteenth year of king Jeroboam the son of Nebat reigned Abijam over Judah.
2 Three years reigned he in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Maachah, the daughter of Abishalom.
3 And he walked in all the sins of his father, which he had done before him: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father.
4 Nevertheless for David's sake did the LORD his God give him a lamp in Jerusalem, to set up his son after him, and to establish Jerusalem:
5 Because David did that which was right in the eyes of the LORD, and turned not aside from any thing that he commanded him all the days of his life, save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.
If men are “Totally Depraved”: How is it that it was said of David that he –”walked in integrity of heart and in uprightness”; –or that “his heart was PERFECT with the Lord”; – or that “David did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord”? How could God say that about David if men are “Totally Depraved”?

In all of these “examples” (and there are many, many more) we see certain principles and precepts that are in play throughout: God’s GRACE (always first and foremost), without which, no one could be saved; man’s “BELIEF” in God and in His Holy words; man’s “Trust” and “FAITH” in God and in His Holy words; and God honoring that “BELIEF” (first), then along with man’s “Trust” & “Faith”, by blessing the man whose heart truly and sincerely “BELIEVED”.

When a person BELIEVES the Gospel (in his heart), there is absolutely NO connection to “works” in any way - because the purpose, function, and operation of the heart is not the same as the purpose, function, and operation of the flesh. I repeat: “BELIEVING” is the sole operation of the heart. “Works”, on the other hand, are an operation of the flesh and have nothing to DO with “BELIEVING” the Gospel of Christ, nor can they have anything to DO with our salvation.

In this age (under the “New Covenant”) God is engaged in a “WORK”:

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

The “WORK” of God (in this age) is to convince people (through His word) to “BELIEVE” the Gospel. The purpose of the Gospel is to bring people to the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation. IF God “gives” us our “BELIEF”, WHY does He have to WORK at it? If our “BELIEF” is a “gift” from God - where then is there any “WORK” on God’s part? According to the Scriptures, God is now working at getting people to believe on him whom he hath sent.[Acts 13:41 Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.] If our “BELIEF” is a “gift” from God, there would be no “WORK” involved at all (on God’s part). Why would God try to “convince” someone of the very same thing (belief) that He is going to “give” them anyway?

2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

We obtained like precious "faith" (God's precious "gift" to us) by "believing" in our hearts, “after” we heard the Gospel of the Grace of God.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, AFTER that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also AFTER that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Please notice the “Chronological Order” that leads up to our Salvation: We TRUSTED, AFTER we HEARD the word of TRUTH (The Gospel). We were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise”, AFTER WE BELIEVEDNOTBEFORE”! [Ephesians 1:13]:

Although faith is a “gift” from God (based on the Lord Jesus Christ’s finished WORK on Calvary), our “belief” in the Gospel of Jesus Christ is NOT a “gift” from God, but is instead an operation and function of our heart – God does NOT “BELIEVE” for us, or “FORCE” us to “believe” in Him!

From the very beginning of the creation of Adam, and up to the present time, God has wanted people to "believe" Him and obey Him. There have been different Dispensations; and God has required different things of people under the different "Covenants"; but the one constant thread running throughout all of the ages (Dispensations), and under all of the "Covenants" is God's consistent requirement that we "Believe" Him (His Holy words). He does not FORCE us, or MAKE us "believe" Him, but He "REQUIRES" it!

God has required of everyone under every Covenant and in every "age" that they "BELIEVE" His words {Oral or Written} and OBEY them. We are very fortunate that under the "New Covenant” - All we have to DO to get saved is to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, . . . ." {When WE "BELIEVE" in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection and "RECEIVE" Him as our personal Saviour, we have done (obeyed) all that God has required of us (under the "New" Covenant) to get saved.} God never said that we are tooDEPRAVED” to believe Him – He has said that there is nothing we can DO (“WORKS”) to save ourselves {Romans 1:16; Romans 3:19-28; Galatians 2:16}.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God mustbelieve that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

I could go on and on with this discourse (and I probably will expand on this in my finished study), but I believe I have made my point - there is a clear difference between the Calvinist Doctrine of "TOTAL DEPRAVITY" and the testimony of the Holy Scriptures. And I have four (4) more points to go in T.U.L.I.P. {another day!}
Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Well George, though you only got to the "T", you nailed it on the head to a "T". Good job of you rightly dividing the attributes of man, and putting soteriology in its proper chronological order as defined by the Bible. Calvinists put the cart before the horse to fit their doctrine.
This is a great study. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Brother, these are great studies THank you for the time you have taken to thoroughly examine these doctrines and show the truth (I hesitate to call it middle ground :P )

God bless
Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Brother,
You answered many questions that I have been studying over, answers that just fell into place ,as you gave us this 'teaching study'. Some of the answers
did not pertain to this study, but as you laid out the scriptures, very clear , distinct, and easily understood by all...it began to fit together.
Neither, had I ever studied out ..Calvinist..Armenian doctrine, thank you for
this well needed study! Looking forward to the rest.

This would make a great 'Sticky'!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 AM

thanks George, it uphold what I shared on another thread
Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Thank you, dear brother. I Agree. The idea that a person must first be "regenerated" before they can believe is a gross miscarriage of the truth. You are exactly right. A person is made "new" after he believes. Love you in the Lord, brother.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Re: "CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine?"

Aloha all,

The following is my third Post concerning the doctrines of Calvinism.

T.U.L.I.P. {the famous acronym associated with Calvinistic beliefs}
U = Unconditional Election”

{The word “election” is Scriptural - The Phrase “Unconditional Election” cannot be found in the Bible! As a matter of fact – the words “conditional” and/or “unconditional” do not appear one time in Scripture!}

Calvinists state:
God does not base His election on anything He sees in the individual. He chooses the elect according to the kind intention of His will (Eph. 1:4-8; Rom. 9:11) without any consideration of merit within the individual.

I do not agree with the statement: God does not base His election on anything He sees in the individual.” If the statement is in reference to “works”, I will agree, but if it is in reference to “BELIEF”, then I CANNOT agree. “ANYTHING” would include “BELIEF” – can you see the confusion (again) of thinking that “BELIEF” (an operation of the heart) is a “WORK” (an operation of the flesh)?

No one can argue with:He chooses the elect according to the kind intention of His will (Eph. 1:4-8; Rom. 9:11) without any consideration of merit within the individual.All genuine Bible believers would go along with this statement {since MERIT = WORKS}, unless someone lumps in “MERIT” = “BELIEF”! You see how it goes? Can you see how vitally important WORDS are?

IF “MERIT” equals “WORKS”, then we can agree with the statement, without any reservations, for all true Bible believers know that God has not chosen the “elect” because of their “WORKS” – that would nullify BELIEF & FAITH & SALVATION by GRACE! But, if “MERIT” includes “BELIEF”, that would nullify the separate purposes of the heart and the flesh, making them both THE SAMEwhich they are NOT; which would ultimately make “BELIEF” a WORK”which it is NOT! {Can you see how TOTAL DEPRAVITY is the Lynchpin” upon which “Calvinism” relies?}

Let’s examine the verses cited [Ephesians 1:4-8] in context and “rightly divide” God’s words:

Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;

9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

NOTHING in Ephesians 1:4-8 tells us THE BASIS for God “choosing” us (the elect). It is clear, however, that God has “chosen us in Him - before the foundation of the world” to beholy and without blame before him in love:– are ALL Christians “holy and without blame before him in love”? Christians can believe in God “choosing”, and in "calling", "election", "predestination", "justification", and "eternal salvation", "preservation" (NOT "perseverance") without being a Calvinist. We also can believe in "whosoever will" without being an Armenian! It's NOT an "either/or" proposition, no matter how hard some (in either "camp") try to force us into one or the other.

The chronological order is: [Ephesians 1:13]In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, God did not look down from Heaven before the foundation of the world and go – Eenee Meenee Miny Moe; nor did He willy nilly just “choose” without “FOREKNOWLEDGE”; and here is where “the rubber meets the road” - WHAT WAS THAT FOREKNOWLEDGE BASED ON?
1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
The Scriptures clearly state that the “Elect” are according to the “foreknowledge” of God the Father – But the BASIS of “foreknowledge” is not clearly defined in the above verse.

Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
In the above verse - “Foreknowledge” is clearly defined as God “knowing”, ahead of time, about events that were going to take place in the future.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
In the above verse those: “whom he did “foreknow” are “predestined to be conformed to the image of his son”. Are all Christians “conformed” to the “image” of Christ today? Has there ever been a time in church history when they were? This verse is not talking about our “Salvation”; it’s talking about how “whom he did “foreknow” (all those who have been saved - born again) will someday be just like Jesus Christ. [1Corinthians 15:49] The BASIS of God’s “foreknowledge” is NOT explained (or defined) in the verse – only the fact that all thosewhom he did foreknow are predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.” To be “conformed to the image of His Son” is the ultimate destiny of every single person (man, woman, or child) that has ever BELIEVED in the Lord Jesus Christ!

Romans 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
In the above verse: those He “foreknew” are clearly Jews (Hebrews) – NOT Christians! How someone can build a “Major Doctrine” upon so few verses is beyond me.

SOME MORE EXAMPLES OF “FOREKNOWLEDGE”

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 13:10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. {Please read through to John 6:59}

John 6:60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that BELIEVED NOT, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, THEREFORE said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. {See: John 6:44 – 59}

Please notice that the three foregoing examples of “foreknowledge” clearly demonstrate that:

#1. The Lord Jesus Christ refused to “commit Himself unto them” – BECAUSE HE “FOREKNEWAHEAD OF TIME what the people would do. {That is - He based His actions in response to His “foreknowledge” of the people’s intent.}

#2. The Lord Jesus Christ MAKES A SPECIFIC STATEMENT – Based on the fact that HE “FOREKNEWAHEAD OF TIME “who should betray Him”. {That is – He specifically said something in response to His “foreknowledge” of future events.}

#3. The Lord Jesus Christ specifically MAKES A STATEMENT – In response to the fact that He FORE -knew from the beginning who they were that BELIEVED NOT!!! Did you get that? The Lord Jesus Christ makes a particular statement - BECAUSE He knew AHEAD OF TIME, "from the beginning", (BASED ON HIS “FOREKNOWLEDGE”) “WHO they were that BELIEVED NOT, and WHO should betray Him”. Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, based his actions and response on WHAT someone BELIEVED or did NOT BELIEVE!

And now let us examine the other verse cited [Romans 9:11] in support of Calvin’s doctrine:
Romans 9:1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.
10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.
30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

After examining the Scripture (in context) cited by the Calvinists in support of their doctrine, can any one say that Romans 9:11 has any thing to do with an individual (Jew or Gentile) being “elected” by God unto “eternal salvation”? Who is the “US” in Verse 24? In the context, Paul is certainly not talking about “individual salvation”; he is revealing a “mystery” (unknown to the Jews) - that God’s “calling” is NOT limited to “the Jews only, but also the Gentiles” {PLURAL!}.

Calvinists state:
Nor does God look into the future to see who would pick Him. Also, as some are elected into salvation, others are not (Rom. 9:15, 21).”
Romans 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
Romans 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

WHAT do the two verses cited have to do with being “elected into salvation”? We are “elected” according to the “foreknowledge” of God. That “foreknowledge” is based on SOMETHING and we know that it is NOT on our WORKS (i.e. something we have done in the flesh). Then WHAT is God’s “foreknowledge” BASED ON? That is the $64,000,000 question!

Let’s examine a few verses of Scripture and compare the Holy words of God with the doctrines of Calvinism – shall we?

2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,
2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
WHY didn’t God say: because they received not the ELECTION, that they might be saved.
WHY all the concern about people having “the love of the truth” – IF they are already unconditionally elected into salvation”? What difference would it make, whether they loved “the truth”, or NOT - IF they are already “unconditionally elected into salvation”?

2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
WHY is God sending them “strong delusion”, so that “they should BELIEVE a lie” – IF some are elected into salvation, (and) others are not; WHY bother with sending people “strong delusion, that they should believe a lie– IF some are elected into salvation, (and) others are not? What is the point? WHY the emphasis on “belief” instead of election, unless “belief” or “unbelief” (NOT “electionALONE) is the ultimate deciding factor in determining whether we are saved or lost?

2 Thessalonians 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
WHY the concern about people either believing the truth or NOT believing the truth – IF some are elected into salvation, others are not? If Calvinism is true - shouldn’t the verse read: That they all might be damned who are not elected into salvation? WHY does Almighty God keep emphasizing “BELIEF” – and Calvinism keeps emphasizing “Total Depravity” or “Unconditional Election”?

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
WHY do the Scriptures stress “belief of the truth:” when talking about God choosing us “to salvation” – rather than “ELECTION”? IF some are elected into salvation, (and) others are not is true - WHERE does belief of the truth:fit in? Over and over, again and again, God keeps emphasizing “BELIEF”, “BELIEVE”, “BELIEVED”, or “BELIEVING”; WHAT is the point – IF some are elected into salvation, others are not? Isn’t it obvious by now – that Calvinism is a “DEAD END”? IF some are elected into salvation, others are not– since it’s all predetermined any way - WHY BOTHER? Some people “are elected into salvation” and other people “are not”! That is, according to Calvinism, some (us “lucky” ones) are elected into salvation, others (you “unlucky” ones) are not {or in other words - some have been “ELECTED” to DAMNATION!}

But what about “Whosoever Will” (or “whosoever will NOT”) that God has stated in His Holy word {and promised}? Is God a man, that He should lie?
Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

Does our God make an offer to men (and women) and not mean it? Is Almighty God disingenuous when He says WHOSOEVER WILL? Does “WHOSOEVER WILL” only mean those who “are elected into salvation”? Or is it a General Call to all of mankind?

Calvinism has some “major problems” with God’s Holy word, and I for one refuse to follow a man who lived 450 years ago, who although he might have been extremely intelligent, certainly didn’t have all of the answers to God’s Holy word. No man has ever “figured out” all of God’s word. And to think that some man who lived over 400 years ago had all of the answers is absurd! Calvin didn’t even have all of the QUESTIONS – never mind all of the answers! {This is WHY I am “leery” of ALLsystems of biblical interpretation and theological formulations}
2 Thessalonians 2:14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
WHY is a person’s “calling” determined by Paul’s “Gospel” - IF some are elected into salvation, others are not? WHAT does “believing” the “gospel” have to do with “the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ” - IF some are elected into salvation, (and) others are not?

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
WHY don’t the Scriptures state: the word of God, which effectually worketh in those that are unconditionally elected, instead of those that “believe”? IF “Unconditional Election is God’s sole “modus operandi” – WHY the emphasis on “belief”?

Unconditional Election (as “Total Depravity” did before) ignores the testimony of the Scriptures about BELIEF”, “BELIEVE”, “BELIEVED”, or “BELIEVING”.

1 John 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
WHY DOES God command us to BELIEVE, IF some are elected into salvation, others are not -unless our salvation is “conditioned” on our Believing first, WHY the emphasis on “believing” when we are already “unconditionally elected”? WHY the COMMANDMENT to BELIEVE?

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
WHY IS God WORKING at getting people to BELIEVE on Him, IF some are elected into salvation, (and) others are not? WHY “WORK” at all to get them to BELIEVE?

John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
WHY PRAY for someone to BELIEVE, IF they are already Unconditionally elected into salvation, (and) others are not”? WHY the concern about someone believing on the Lord “through their word”– IF they are already unconditionally elected into salvation, (and) others are not”!

Romans 4:24But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; {& Philippians 1:29}
WHY is IMPUTATION dependent on our BELIEVING on Him that raised up Jesus our Lord” – IF we are already unconditionally elected into salvation, (and) others are not”? Wouldn’t it (imputation) be based on our “unconditional election”?

Philippians 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
WHY isn’t there any mention of “Election” in the verse – for example according to Calvinism the verse should have said: For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only tobe unconditionally elected into salvation”? Once again WHY does God continually emphasize “BELIEF”?

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
HOW is Paul “a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting”? Is Paul’s Conversion a “PATTERN” of unconditional election? Paul’s Conversion is a “PATTERN” {example} of God’s Grace to an unbeliever [“Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious” . . . who “obtained mercy, because” (he) “did it ignorantly in unbelief.” 1Timothy 1:13] The Scriptures did NOT say that Paul obtained mercy because he was “unconditionally elected into salvation! The Scriptures did NOT say: that Paul was a pattern to the elect which were unconditionally elected into salvation”! According to the Holy Bible, the Apostle Paul is a PATTERN - “to them which should hereafter BELIEVE on him to life everlasting”! The Apostle Paul’s conversion is the classic “PATTERN” of an unbeliever who BELIEVES on Him (The Lord Jesus Christ) to life everlasting.”

We could go through literally dozens of more verses from the Scriptures and demonstrate from investigation, questions, analysis, dissection, rightly dividing, and sound Biblical reasoning that the doctrine of "Unconditional Election" is contrary to sound Biblical doctrine.

Notice how Calvinism ADDS to the word of God? “TOTAL DEPRAVITY” <> neither word can be found in the HOLY BIBLE! “UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION” <> the word “Unconditional” is NOT in the Holy Bible! Does this mean anything to you? Does the fact that John Calvin (1509 – 1564) lived BEFORE The King James Bible was translated, have any bearing on his “doctrine”? WHAT was his “FINAL AUTHORITY”? WHERE did he get his “DOCTRINE” from?

WHY would a genuine King James Bible believer trust a man or his “DOCTRINE”, if he never had God’s FINAL AUTHORITY {i.e. AV1611 – King James Bible} in his hands - not even one time; but who, instead, used “eclectic” Hebrew (Old Testament) and Latin Texts (Old & New Testaments); and in addition, possibly a French “text” or some Greek or other language text for the New Testament) in which he formulated ALL of his so-calledsystems of biblical interpretation and theological formulations?

The following is a list of specific words found in the Scriptures (that are related to Calvinism) and all of the corresponding verses where they can be found. I have listed the words – “elect”, “election”, “elected”, “foreknew”, “foreknowledge”, “foreordained”, etc. and have tried to “rightly divide” WHERE and to WHOM they should be applied. If anyone is interested in searching out these Scriptures, the color code easily identifies to WHOM I believe the verses should be applied. I would encourage you to “search the Scriptures” to see whether those things that I have presented here are true or not:

ELECT
GOD
Isaiah 42:1; 1Timothy 5:21; 1 Peter 2:6
ISRAEL {Jews - Hebrews}
Isaiah 45:4; Isaiah 65:9; Isaiah 65:22; Matthew 24:22; Matthew 24; Matthew 24:31; Mark 13:20; Mark 13:22; Mark 13:27; Luke 18:7
THE CHURCH {Born Again – Saved}
Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12; 2 Timothy 2:10; Titus 1:1; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 John 1:1; 2 John 1:13

According to the Scriptures, "the elect" can be: THE LORD; or Israel (the Jews - Hebrews); or the Church (Christians) depending on the context of the verses where the word occurs. The word "elect" is NOT always in reference to born again children of God.

ELECTION
ISRAEL {Jews - Hebrews}
Romans 9; Romans 11:5; Romans 11:7; Romans 11:28
1 Thessalonians 1:4; 2 Peter 1:10

ELECTED
1 Peter 5:13

FOREKNEW
ISRAEL {Jews - Hebrews}
Romans 11:2

FOREKNOWLEDGE
GOD
Acts 2:23
1 Peter 1:2

FOREORDAINED
GOD
1 Peter 1:20

ORDAIN
ISRAEL {Jews - Hebrews}
1 Chronicles 9:22; 1 Chronicles 17:9; Isaiah 26
1 Corinthians 7:17; Titus 1:5

ORDAINED
GOD
Psalms 8:2; Psalms 8:3; Psalms 132:17; Acts 10:42; Acts 17:31; Romans 13:1; 1 Corinthians 2:7
ISRAEL {Jews - Hebrews}
Numbers 28:6; 2 Kings 23:5; 2 Chronicles 23:18; 2 Chronicles 29:27; Esther 9:27; Psalms 81:5; Isaiah 30:33; Jeremiah 1:5; Daniel 2:24; Habakkuk 1:12; Mark 3:14; John 15:16; Acts 1:22; Romans 7:10; Galatians 3:19; Hebrews 5:1; Hebrews 8:3; Hebrews 9:6
Acts 13:48; Acts 14:23; Acts 16:4; 1 Corinthians 9:14; Ephesians 2:10; 1 Timothy 2:7
EVIL
1 Kings 12:32; 1 Kings 12:332; Chronicles 11:15; Jude 1:4

I am finished (for now) with the so-called doctrine of “Unconditional Election”. This study could easily be much longer if I had the time (and the space) to present all of the verses pertaining to "whosoever will" and/or more examples from the Old Testament. What I have presented should suffice, for I still have 3 “Points” to go.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 PM

Boy, this is good stuff right here!

George, do you have this write-up in any other format? I'd love to be able to share this with folks if that's all right with you.

Peace and Love,
Stephen