General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Default Where do you begin?

When you have a fresh start to witness the gospel to someone, where do you begin? Eg. the existence of God, creation vs. evolution, the sinful nature of man, straight into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ?

I was watching a preaching video the other day and the preacher said instead of taking people straight to the 'Romans Road' - for all have sinned, etc, he takes them to what he calls the "Revelation Road" and shows them the judgment of Revelation 20:12-15 where death and hell are cast into the lake of fire. By doing this he demonstrates to them what they are being saved from if they trust in Christ as their Saviour!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM

I always start in different places depending on the education of the individual I'm dealing with. For instance, if they know nothing about the Bible, they have no idea why we're sinners or why Christ died, so I take them real quickly (if I have time) through the Creation, Fall, and the Coming of Christ to pay for our sins. Then I explain the punishment for sin (establish the need, the penalty, THEN the escape) and finally Christ's payment and how a person receives that. There are different ways to approach it based on the individual you're dealing with.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM

I recently preached on this topic on a Wednesday night Bible study/prayer meeting.

The idea was how the church is falling away in its music, standards, Bible, and even soul winning. Today, the big shots say (after sharing a "weak" version of the gospel), "come forward and make your committment to Christ" or "raise your hand to make your decision for Christ."

These money-suckers are getting "New Years Resolutions" from lost people and insinuating that they are receiving eternal life. They're damning them with deceit, and giving false hope to sinners bound for hell.

The points I then made in the message were how to deal with the lost today considering the confusion surrounding salvation.

1. Do not assume anything. Don't assume they are lost, don't assume they are saved, especially don't assume (just because they raised their hand or walked an aisle) that they fully understand the gospel and their condition apart from Christ. Assume nothing and deal with each individual with a completely blank slate.

Do not assume the individual is ready to receive Christ. You may be wrong, and the consequences irreversible.

2. Ask the right questions. The only way to learn "where" they are at is to ask them pointed questions that force them to divuldge. Never say, "Do you want to get saved?" You're putting the "s" word right into their mouth. (After removing the individual from the crowd into privacy...) I always begin with, "why did you raise your hand/come forward?" If they reply with the "s" word, I come back with "what makes you think that you need to be saved?"

The right questions will yield the person's true condition, and avoid "re-treads" and confusion. I ask about church backround and what they've been taught or believe in regards to Jesus Christ and salvation. The more you get out of their mouth (uncoerced), the better you can discern and determine how to deal with the individual.

3. Listen. (otherwise stated - "shut-up and listen") The only way to find out what they believe or know is to get them talking. This step is so important yet often uneffective if your mouth is running the whole time.

So what if you know that they are a sinner, do they know? So what if you know that their works cannot save them, do they know it? You can't move forward until you know where they are - listen to what they say.

4. Look for conviction. You must exercise spiritual discernment and determine if God is working on the individual. You cannot deal with someone when God is not dealing with them - you'll make a big mistake if you continue.

Patience is necessary as well as an element of schepticism over excitement. Conviction is easy to spot when God is pressing on a sinner, "hanging them over hell". No conviction? it's over. No sense of their condition as a sinner without Jesus Christ? - STOP, express your concern and promise to pray for them.

When you fully understand what they understand you may deal with them from the word of God appropriately.

These ideas are to be considered the "entrance ramp" to the Roman's Road or any form of gospel presentation. Folks are very confused and lost; it is important to move slowly if necessary, or sometimes backing off is the right thing to do.

There are also self-proclaimed "aggressive soul winners" out there who use no discernment and are only after a "notch on their belt" or a mark in their Bible. The damage they do is just as devestating as that of the "big shots" mentioned above.

Matt. 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Thank you, that's excellent soul-winning advice.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
Thank you, that's excellent soul-winning advice.
Yes, thank you!

I like the Romans road because it's an easy summary to remember......I also try to get the person into the Word and ask them to read their Bible, or use a lot of Scripture in my discussions with them.

Largely, it depends on the situation but I usually seem to find myself in more on-going, lengthy witnessing experiences with the same one or two people.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 PM

I agree with Pbiwolski's post, there is some good advice there.

This may sound worldly, but for years I was an insurance salesman, and one thing I learned is you cannot really "sell" anything to a person who is not first interested in your product.

Now that doesn't mean you should wait around for someone to express an interest in going to heaven. Sometimes you can create that interest. I remember hearing the preacher preach about how terrible hell was and how a person who goes there is lost forever without hope when I was an 11 year old boy. That absolutely got my attention, and I almost ran down the aisle at the invitation. I could not wait one second longer, I wanted to know how to be saved right then and there!

I don't think it is bad to ask someone if they would like to know from the Bible how to go to heaven. But look for genuine interest. Some folks act interested just to be polite, but when you start showing them verses you can easily tell they want out of the situation. So you have to pay careful attention to them, and if you sense resistance, that is the time to back off. Then you can hand them a good Bible tract on salvation, ask them to read it, and tell them you will be glad to help if they have questions. Now be on your way. If you make a person angry they will put up a wall and never listen to you.

I also agree about asking questions to determine what a person already believes. This can tell you what verses to show them. A Roman Catholic for instance does not think a little white lie is enough to send them to hell. Then you might show them a verse(s) like this:

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

This is when they usually start getting angry.

But look for conviction and sincerity. If a person is genuinely convicted, they will listen to the truth.

I remember a young fellow I worked with years ago. He was very rough around the edges, cursed a lot, and was missing all his front teeth. I used to talk to him about the Lord, and even gave him a Bible tract. He was a little intimidating though. But one day he came up and started talking to me about Jesus. I told him that he needs to realize he was a sinner and ask Jesus to forgive his sins. He said, "I already did that the last time you talked to me". I was surprised and said, "You did?" He said, "What do you think I am, stupid? I'm not going to Hell. I asked Jesus to save me!"
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Bro. Parrish

Kiwi this is a great topic and I love the responses.
I agree with Kittn1, it's hard to beat the Romans Road, that is a great method.

Over the years I have developed another method that seems to produce very good results also...

One day a shaft of light hit my brain and I learned from the Bible that Jesus liked to reach people with unusual questions.

I usually go from John 3, to Genesis, then Romans and Revelation. These passages are linked in my Bible, so I flip right to them with no stumbling or hesitation, it's all pretty quick...

I always start by asking them the same question:

"Do you know the one thing Jesus said you MUST do
in order to enter the kingdom of God?"

This question always seems to make them think, sometimes they will say join the church, or be baptized, etc... and then I take them to John 3:1-7, and show them the answer.

From there I focus on the BLOOD ATONEMENT, and continue with unusual questions:

Do you remember the names of the first man and woman?
They always answer, "Sure that was Adam and Eve."
Yes, and after they sinned what did they wear?
They always answer "fig leaves!"
Yes, and did you ever notice God replaced those fig leaves with something else? Not as many people know this, so now I have their attention...

Then I take them to Genesis 3:21 and show them the first blood shed to cover man's sins. I try to explain the trail of blood all through the Old Testament, and then how God himself shed His own blood for them (Acts 20:28). I have found there is amazing power when witnessing about the blood of Christ, it's strange and the Holy Spirit seems to really bless this, I can't explain it. A quick stop off at Ephesians 2:8-9 shows them they cannot earn this gift, but they must accept it. Then to Romans 10 for what I believe may be the most powerful verses in the New Testament:

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Now the trouble starts...
At this point, the dog will start barking, the kids will start screaming, the phone rings, etc. it never fails. I always have used a pertner to "control" these distractions, and I will look the man straight in the eye and tell him to ignore it because someone is trying to distract him at this very moment, because his eternal soul is in the balance. So we are able to even use the distractions against the adversary to strengthen the witness for Christ. I have seen grown men break down in tears under the conviction of that old King James Bible, and I can tell you this: at this point if he wants to be saved, there isn't one thing in the universe that will keep him from it!

At this point I can tell if they are ready...

and if they are, I show them Rev. 3:20:

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me."

Then I ask them straight up, can you think of any reason why you wouldn't want to open the door of your heart RIGHT NOW, and invite Christ in your life? I would say over the years we have seen a success rate higher than 90 percent with this method, where they will bow their heads at that moment and pray for salvation.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 AM

I've given this a bit of thought of late, and I really do believe that we should cut to the chase when witnessing to the lost. How often have you started talking to someone and just when you were about to tell them the gospel you get interrupted and the discussion is over! It's happened to me enough times to know that it's not a coincidence and that our enemy the Devil does NOT want us witnessing to his children.

Paul focussed on "Christ and him crucifed" with those Corinthians, and I think that's a great place to start, that way if the conversation gets halted quickly at least you planted or watered that most important seed. We're told to preach the gospel, every other subject is secondary to that during our witness.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 AM

I haven't done any door knocking myself (yet), but this is the list of verses I'm planning on memorizing for use.

Romans 3:23
Romans 6:23
Hebrews 9:27
Revelation 20:12-15
Revelation 21:8
Romans 5:8
Acts 16:31
John 3:16,18
Romans 10:9

Romans road is good, but I think these verses accomplish the same insight and then some.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-31-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
I've given this a bit of thought of late, and I really do believe that we should cut to the chase when witnessing to the lost. How often have you started talking to someone and just when you were about to tell them the gospel you get interrupted and the discussion is over! It's happened to me enough times to know that it's not a coincidence and that our enemy the Devil does NOT want us witnessing to his children.

Paul focussed on "Christ and him crucifed" with those Corinthians, and I think that's a great place to start, that way if the conversation gets halted quickly at least you planted or watered that most important seed. We're told to preach the gospel, every other subject is secondary to that during our witness.
That's also the reason the discussion seems to invariably get side-tracked to creation vs. evolution or "does God exist?" or any of the multitude of other side-issues that take the focus off of "Christ and him crucified"!

We do need to remember that every other subject IS secondary to the Cross during our witness and reroute the discussion back to the main focus, as required.