Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Default "times and seasons"

What is meant by "times and seasons"?

"And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." (Acts 1:7)

"But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you." (1 Thessalonians 5:1)
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM

When in Revelation it speaks of "Time and times and half a time," it's talking about the three and 1/2 years of peace during the Tribulation.

From my viewpoint, "times and seasons" refers to the general time and happenings that point toward the Rapture and the imminent (successive) return of Jesus Christ. There's probably a lot of stuff that could be gotten into as far as the implication of "times" and "seasons," but I don't have that information right now and my wife wants me to help with housework so I'm a little indisposed.

(there's this myth circulating that says when a man is out of work, he should be willing to help with housework on the "don't work, don't eat" premise)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
What is meant by "times and seasons"?

"And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power." (Acts 1:7)

"But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you." (1 Thessalonians 5:1)
I believe it means what it says, in relation to how man views and measures time on the earth.

The Acts verse concerns the restoration of Israel (1:6), and the 1 Thess verse concerns the rapture (Chap 4). The earthly TIMING (times and seasons) of both these events is only known by God, hence in Acts 1:7 it says "the Father hath put in his own power" and 1 Thess 5:2 says "the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night."

Mark 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
Here is one application of that verse. It should be clear to every believer that we are living in the "last" days. We are aware of the "times" and "seasons" we are living in.
2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Do you suppose we are living in the last days and in the midst of perilous times?