Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM

I have a Bible that was my father's favorite. It is a PCE*. It badly needs retreading. What's your suggestion for someone who can rebind it? It is priceless as a text.

* check out BibleProtector's site for explanation of this term.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
Thank you for your kindness Jassy (and all the rest of you). I also think this is the right place to bounce my opinions off of others. Based on what I have read here so far I have a lot of respect for most of the people here and I am very open to learning from all of you, my mind is open on this issue.
I am glad that you have joined here and I hope that you won't be feeling brushed-off by us here at the Forum. We do welcome inquiries. I'm no expert myself - I still have to be one who "searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so" (Acts. 17:11) - but the important thing is that we DO that and that we remember 2 Peter 1:10 - "Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"

Jassy
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
How can something "have God's blessing" but not be "inspired"?
Pretty easy as I see it. I can write a letter to someone telling them how to receive Christ as their Savior, God can take my letter to a friend and bless it and use it to reach the friend that I have written to, but God's blessing on my effort does not make my letter "inspired."
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
BP, thank you for your reply, it is obvious from your posts that you have a passion and depth of knowledge for this issue.

I am afraid I don't understand your position though. How can the AV be perfect if the mss that it was translated from are not perfect?

I have the feeling that I am about to learn something, but at this point you have me totally lost.
Suppose you have three copies made by school children who wrote down what they observed written in chalk in a classroom:

One says, "ABCDEFGHIJ...LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ."
Another says, "ABCDEFGH...JKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
Another one says, "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY..."

The chalk was rubbed away long ago, but you have the three paper copies. You would be able to construct correctly what was written in chalk, even though it might now be some time later.

That is a very simple illustration of how the KJB is compared to the present copies and editions we have of Hebrew and Greek.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
I have a Bible that was my father's favorite. It is a PCE*. It badly needs retreading. What's your suggestion for someone who can rebind it? It is priceless as a text.

* check out BibleProtector's site for explanation of this term.
Thanks to this forum, I know what the PCE is and even went out and bought one. I have the great good fortune of having a KJVO bookshop here in my town, I sort of collect Bibles and they have gotten used to me coming in and spending a lot of time looking at their Bibles, sniffing the leather and asking questions like "do you know what kind of goatskin this is?" The PCE that I found there was one of the older Cambridge Bibles that comes in the King's College box and slipcase, these were bound in England and are good quality, but the newer ones in the pale blue box are often bound in third-world countries, those are just not up to the standards of the older Cambridge Bibles.

I have yet to use Leonard's Book Binders, but from what I have seen they are very good at what they do and their prices are much lower than the English binder I have used for my last two rebinding jobs. They also seem a lot less grumpy than the English guy, who can be a real chore at times (so I won't name him).

http://www.leonardsbooks.com/bible_rebinding.htm

I'll have to start a thread about rebinding if you think others here might be interested.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
I am glad that you have joined here and I hope that you won't be feeling brushed-off by us here at the Forum. We do welcome inquiries. I'm no expert myself - I still have to be one who "searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so" (Acts. 17:11) - but the important thing is that we DO that and that we remember 2 Peter 1:10 - "Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:"

Jassy
Thank you, I am enjoying the fellowship and I don't feel slighted at all.

I am used to being the Authorized Version defender against the modern versions in most debates, so this current thread feels a bit odd to me, but I really am having fun talking to all of you.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
Suppose you have three copies made by school children who wrote down what they observed written in chalk in a classroom:

One says, "ABCDEFGHIJ...LMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ."
Another says, "ABCDEFGH...JKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
Another one says, "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY..."

The chalk was rubbed away long ago, but you have the three paper copies. You would be able to construct correctly what was written in chalk, even though it might now be some time later.

That is a very simple illustration of how the KJB is compared to the present copies and editions we have of Hebrew and Greek.
That is not where I thought you were going. I was afraid you were going to say that the translation of 1611 was a new revelation or some such.

Correct me if I am wrong, do you believe that God has preserved His Word in full in the original languages, but that that preservation is spread amongst various manuscripts so that no single manuscript contains the perfect Word of God in full? I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but I am trying to better understand your position.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
I think you bring up a good point BroParrish and I am not offended at all. I am being honest in stating my position and in stating what I do know and what I don't know. I know a little Greek and not a word of Hebrew, so you are correct in pointing out that my position at least in reagrd to the OT is not one that comes from my own experience, but I was in no way suggesting otherwise.

I am saying that the Hebrew corrects the English, not that I use the Hebrew to correct the English.
Hold on, stop the wagon brother.
How do you know the Hebrew corrects anything, when you already stated you don't know one word of Hebrew...? Just trying to get you to think this through...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Hold on, stop the wagon brother.
How do you know the Hebrew corrects anything, when you already stated you don't know one word of Hebrew...?
The Hebrew was God-breathed, the English was man-translated. For me not knowing Hebrew, this is a matter of faith I guess. Matthew 5:18 says:

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

There are no jots or tittles in English, so Jesus must be talking about the originals.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
The Hebrew was God-breathed, the English was man-translated. For me not knowing Hebrew, this is a matter of faith I guess.
Yes, I agree with you there, it's a matter of faith.
So, what do you have? You have faith enough to stand up and proclaim that there is a "perfect" text which can be used to correct your KJV BIBLE, (and ours) but that "perfect" text is a text you CANNOT UNDERSTAND, DO NOT HAVE, AND CANNOT EVEN READ. This by your own admission is your final authority. That strikes me as a weak position, brother. You need to think that through. I think you have to at least consider the possibility that your faith on this issue might be in the hot air of scholars.