Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Jeremiah 3:1 ESV vs KJB

3:1 “If [1] a man divorces his wife and she goes from him and becomes another man's wife, will he return to her? Would not that land be greatly polluted? You have played the whore with many lovers; and would you return to me? declares the Lord. ESV

They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD. KJB

I accidently read the wrong verse online (I forgot to bring my Bible to work, and I only normally bring a NT anyway), and it gives a completely different meaning. But, the King James could also be read this way...

It reads as though God is disgusted as the prospect of Israel returning to Him.

Thankfully the rest of the chapter does clarify that God is telling them to come back, but here is what the NIV and a few other versions say

A saying: If a man divorces his wife and she leaves him and marries another man, her first husband shouldn't go back to her again. The land would become thoroughly polluted. "You have acted like a prostitute who has many lovers. And now you want to come back to me!" declares the LORD.

God says, "If a husband divorces his wife And she goes from him And belongs to another man, Will he still return to her? Will not that land be completely polluted? But you are a harlot with many lovers; Yet you turn to Me," declares the LORD. NASB

If a man divorces his wifeand she leaves him and marries another man,
should he return to her again? Would not the land be completely defiled? But you have lived as a prostitute with many lovers—would you now return to me?" declares the LORD. NIV
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Amen. The KJB swiftly shreds them into confetti and then dumps them into the trash. The monarch of the books shows us again why it is the only right one, and why all the other "bibles" are nothing but Roman Catholic trash.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Yep, those corrupt versions give exactly the opposite meaning of the KJB. In the corrupt versions it is the harlot who wants to come back to a questioning God, in the KJB it is a loving God offering forgiveness to the wife who has played the harlot.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
3:1 “If [1] a man divorces his wife and she goes from him and becomes another man's wife, will he return to her? Would not that land be greatly polluted? You have played the whore with many lovers; and would you return to me? declares the Lord. ESV

They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD. KJB

I accidently read the wrong verse online (I forgot to bring my Bible to work, and I only normally bring a NT anyway), and it gives a completely different meaning. But, the King James could also be read this way...

It reads as though God is disgusted as the prospect of Israel returning to Him.

Thankfully the rest of the chapter does clarify that God is telling them to come back, but here is what the NIV and a few other versions say

A saying: If a man divorces his wife and she leaves him and marries another man, her first husband shouldn't go back to her again. The land would become thoroughly polluted. "You have acted like a prostitute who has many lovers. And now you want to come back to me!" declares the LORD.

God says, "If a husband divorces his wife And she goes from him And belongs to another man, Will he still return to her? Will not that land be completely polluted? But you are a harlot with many lovers; Yet you turn to Me," declares the LORD. NASB

If a man divorces his wifeand she leaves him and marries another man,
should he return to her again? Would not the land be completely defiled? But you have lived as a prostitute with many lovers—would you now return to me?" declares the LORD. NIV
Luke, that is a great point you bring out brother, thank you. I was looking on Brandon's main webpage and found the quotation from Isaiah 34:16 about "the book of the Lord" and decided to do a little study of different "versions". I'll be posting it soon.

Keep It Simple, Stupid was not originated by Alcoholics Anonymous, but by the KJV translators.

Grace and peace brother, I hope you are well.

Tony
Old 04-09-2009, 06:04 AM

This is another reason why the Bibles of modern times can not be trusted.

They lead one to different, strange, paths.

I'll stick to the old paths!

Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
This is another reason why the Bibles of modern times can not be trusted.

They lead one to different, strange, paths.

I'll stick to the old paths!

Thanks for pointing this out.
Jerry, I hope all of you find my study on Isaiah 34:16 as revealing as it was to me.

Grace and peace

Tony
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM

Thanks for sharing your finding. The sad part is a new believer or an undescerning reader will not be able to tell the error of the ESV and the new translations without someone showing the differences to them. The early part of my new life was spent reading the NIV. I thought that was the Bible everyone uses. Until someone showed me the missing Acts 8:37 and my eyes were opened. The funny part was that then I bought a NKJV because the advertisement says it's the same as the KJV without the old english words. Then I read a booklet about NKJV some time after and finally switched to the real deal, KJB, the preserved Word of God.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
Thanks for sharing your finding. The sad part is a new believer or an undescerning reader will not be able to tell the error of the ESV and the new translations without someone showing the differences to them. The early part of my new life was spent reading the NIV. I thought that was the Bible everyone uses. Until someone showed me the missing Acts 8:37 and my eyes were opened. The funny part was that then I bought a NKJV because the advertisement says it's the same as the KJV without the old english words. Then I read a booklet about NKJV some time after and finally switched to the real deal, KJB, the preserved Word of God.
Tim, I had 130 versions of the bible in English, I spent 7 years collecting them. I only believed one version. 129 turned out to be just variations and translations of Codex Vaticanus, they were in my possession as a collection to show people the version "issue". A friend of mine bought the New Scofield(1967 edition) and was lamenting the fact when I showed him it was neither a Scofield nor a KJV. I told him to keep it, use it for comparison as a warning to others. I hope you still have your NKJV and NIV, you can show others the corruptions. As a bible, if I was on the moon and only had two choices among the "MVs", I'd take a Watchtower NWT translation over the NIV, the NIV is the most corrupt and sorry excuse for a "bible" I ever saw.

Grace and peace to you

Tony
Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM

Tony:
Can you recommend a site where I can get a simple, easy to read chart of verse comparisons? I like to print one and and keep it in my Bible so I can show people who want to know. Thanks!
Tim
Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 AM

Yeah, I went from the NIV (New International Version) to the NKJV (New King James Version), too! Thankfully, not much time was spent (wasted) reading it before switching to the pure BIBLE text of 1611.

I still have my original NIV and NKJV books and mark them up from time to time to highlight the changes.

But subtle changes like these found in the ESV (English Standard Version) are most troubling. Don’t these translators realize the mess they’re dumping in the path of the righteous?

With the merchandising of Bibles that’s going on these days (all those fancy stylistic and themed Bibles), it’s clear to me that there’s no respect for the Word of God. It’s just a game of translating old human writings…not God’s Word. The saddest part of all this are the people who shop for Bible versions like they’re shopping for a new pair of jeans (what color, what theme, what version, who’s endorsement).

But the will of God be done, he sees all and hears all.

(Note to Tony: I read your thread about those verses in Isiah...very interesting)

Last edited by Brother Jerry; 04-20-2009 at 06:07 AM.