Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:29 AM

Default Prayer for direction

Today I found out that my sister and her boyfriend broke up. The problem with this is that her now ex boyfriend is my boss. I've known for a while that the only reason he lets me continue to work for him is because of his relationship with my sister. Lately we haven't been getting along very well because he's a very experienced carpenter, and I'm not (along with all the frictions of him being totally worldly and not a Christian at all). To make things worse is that he is unable (or more accurately unwilling) to teach me what I need to know in order to do my job, and constantly doesn't understand why I don't figure things out (maybe because I've never done this stuff before? I'm an ex computer programmer turned carpenter, lol). The job we've been working on is a small shop/house that is halfway into the framing, and I've found out that after this project I'm going to be let go. I'm really confused about what I should do, and what direction I should take. I really like building/construction, but I really don't like a lot of the people that are in this trade. Foul language, drinking, wicked music, you name it, is all so common among the workers that do this sort of thing. I had hoped to someday learn enough from my boss to take on small projects on my own, but I've been taught so little. The only thing I can do confidently is operate an excavator, but that is such a difficult trade to get a foot into. I also have a background that makes my finding work very difficult. I've also considered going back to school, but what I'd study is a complete mystery. I really would love to do something that glorifies God, but what He'd have me do isn't clear at the moment. I could use prayer that He would open a door for me, and make it clear that it is the one He wants me to go through, lol.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 AM

Brother, I will be praying that the Lord will make clear what He would have you to do, and provide you with a position...

...but, of course, it will be in His time. You can't rush the Lord.

You might have to flip burgers for a while.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Stephanos,

I'll pray for you buddy.

Atlas
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM

May God give you seeing eyes to see the door that He is opening and hearing ears to hear His Spirit saying, "This is the way I have prepared for you."
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 PM

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Praying, brother.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM

Step,

My Dad did construction for many, many years. He has lots of stories about young "fellers" he taught and seeds planted. His job sites were a lot different from most other ones. Brandon worked for him off and on when we first got married and I remember one job when I brought lunch and they spent the lunch hour witnessing and "talking Bible" to someone else working there with them.

My BIL works for a Christian (owned/run) landscaping company and it has been good for him and his walk. We've had landscaping, carpet cleaning, and various other businesses we've come into contact with where the work crew was just different. Come to find out they were Christian. Usually it is family based, but they do outside hiring when they need.

So, if carpentry is for you there are good places out there. Just have to find them. Sorry to hear about the last minute situation, but sometimes things like that are a blessing in disguise as it leads you to a better place. Hopefully a better atmosphere and someone who will teach you.

Prayed for direction for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:18 PM

Hi Steph

Will be praying for you to hear clearly, and that as this door is closing...God is faithful to open another...

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

Psalms 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.

Blessings,

Billie
Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Stephanos,

Love you Brother

You really do take the Bible literally. Jesus says "follow me" and you go become a carpenter! You still have to master the art of tentmaking if you want to be a pauline dispensationalist though

God bless,
Will pray for you friend
Luke
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Stephanos,

Love you Brother

You really do take the Bible literally. Jesus says "follow me" and you go become a carpenter! You still have to master the art of tentmaking if you want to be a pauline dispensationalist though

God bless,
Will pray for you friend
Luke
Hey, I'm game. I could make tents all day if someone were to offer me a job, lol.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 AM

Default Re: "Prayer for Direction"

Aloha Stephanos,

I believe that people are "wired" differently and have differing talents. I have worked at a lot of different jobs - Radar; postman; librarian; film editing; Printing; Linotype operator; Taro Farmer; Hydroponic Farming (Greenhouse - Sprouts {12 kinds}, watercress, basil, lettuce, etc.).

I worked as a carpenter for nearly 25 years, where I eventually learned and was able to perform all of the trades involved in building houses (I became a Building Contractor and Master Builder). The funny thing is - I am not a "Natural". Carpentry, Mechanics, etc. do not come "easy" for me, but I learned.

I quit the building business around 1988 (burned out) and went into wastewater design and installation for nearly 10 years. I read and taught myself wastewater design and designed over 350 wastewater systems (and installed most of them).

Over the course of our marriage, my wife and I have had a Furniture Repair & Upholstery Business and a Tabi Business (we manufactured "Reef Walkers"). We have run a Hamburger Stand; a Mexican Food Stand; and a Farmer's Market, in addition to the various Farming enterprises listed above. I retired 3 years ago after working from 1957 through to 2003 {46 years is long enough ).

I am a "bookish" person, but all of my adult life I worked with my hands to earn a living - go figure!

I would encourage you to do something that you enjoy and for which you have a natural aptitude. Whatever you do - don't be fearful of learning "something new"; and if you don't like what your doing try something else. There's lots of work out there (you don't have to stuck at one job all your life) - even if you have to create your own business in order to have a "job".

If someone, like myself, can do work for which they do not have a natural aptitude for, and still succeed, then if you lose your job in carpentry and cannot find any more work in that field - don't be afraid to do something different.