General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

Aha Exactly Brother

I understand MJS is not KJBO, and often uses some strange translation of the Bible (WEY), in which case I just open up the KJB to see if he is correct in his exegesis.

The phrase "die to self" is not a biblical phrase I admit. Honestly, I only used it because it is what someone called this truth many years ago, when I should have actually listened, and accepted the fact I was dead to sin, and it would have saved me several years of heartache.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #42  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM
CKG CKG is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Aha Exactly Brother

I understand MJS is not KJBO, and often uses some strange translation of the Bible (WEY), in which case I just open up the KJB to see if he is correct in his exegesis.

The phrase "die to self" is not a biblical phrase I admit. Honestly, I only used it because it is what someone called this truth many years ago, when I should have actually listened, and accepted the fact I was dead to sin, and it would have saved me several years of heartache.
I read the "Green Letters" series back in the 80's and Stanford (now the late Miles Stanford) lays out some good principles for spiritual growth. If you visit his site you will see he is also a dispensationalist and there are some good articles there. What you have to watch out for are statements like this:
Our authoritative Bible is the only means in the universe by which we can ever know anything rightly and personally of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. - The Complete Green Letters, pg 187
Sounds good.
Sad to say, the problem of faulty reckoning in this instance, due to a wrong interpretation, is mainly caused by an inferior translation in our beloved King James Version. - The Complete Green Letters, pg 203

The King James Version's use of "destroyed" in verse 6 is far too strong for that particular Greek word.

Our King James Version has a tendency to lead one astray in the area of reckoning because of its failure to set forth our death with Christ in the past tense.

The new American Standard Bible, which is more accurate for study purposes, gives us the contrasting correction.
- The Complete Green Letters, pg 204

This is another instance where the King James Version might lead us into bondage, unless we study with care. (referencing Romans 8:1)
- The Complete Green Letters, pg 211

In Romans 8:6 we must again take a close look at our King James Version: "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace." This particular translation runs counter to the actual teaching of the Word.

Once more the New American Standard Bible states the truth accurately....
- The Complete Green Letters, pg 213
So you have to exercise caution.
  #43  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

I know.. it is a shame that he takes that path. However, the amount of meat in that book far outweighs the bad
  #44  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
CKG CKG is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Warner Robins, Georgia
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I know.. it is a shame that he takes that path. However, the amount of meat in that book far outweighs the bad
Yes, I still enjoy reading his material. Like you said he presents some often overlooked principles for spiritual growth, plus he was dispensational and hard on the reformed theology.
  #45  
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

He is also a "sovereign gracer", but saw the fallacies in the Reformed position, and never let his doctrines of "grace" get in the way of the gospel, which is only believe.
  #46  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM
biblereader's Avatar
biblereader biblereader is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Of course I do. Because I still struggle with the old nature. Jesus said take up the cross DAILY. But I never said temptations. I said struggling to keep the law.



You are not understanding me completely. Romans 6 tells us how to deal with sin in our lives. We are not to fight sin with carnal weapons, like the flesh, or even attempt to keep the law to subdue our flesh. We simply identify with our Saviour on the cross. Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ. Romans 8 goes on to tell us the consequences of living after the flesh, and the blessings of being in the spirit.

A Christian does not have to sin. Sinning in a Christians life is a failure to identify himself as DEAD to sin.

This has nothing to do with dispensationalism. It's the Bible way, but most reformed and arminians ignore it, because they run to verses like Jeremiah 33:31 and Ezekial 36:27 to support their claims that God enables the christian to keep the law, when there isn't a christian 100 chapters either side of those verses. A Christian does not need to keep the law. He doesn't need to try. He just needs to daily reckon himself dead to sin, and see that his life was bore away on the cross of calvary in Christ, and that his life is not his own anymore, but Christ's life (Col 3:4 - when Christ, who IS OUR LIFE...)

I have never said and will never say that a Christian can attain sinless perfection. But a Christian does not need to sin. But he will, because he is in the flesh, and there will be times when instead of relying on Christ, he will rely on self.

There are two books I recommend on this subject.

Watchman Nee's "Sit, Walk, Stand"
&
Miles J. Stanford's "The Green Letters"

The latter you can read here http://withchrist.org/MJS/glchapters.htm
Thanks. I like books.
  #47  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
biblereader's Avatar
biblereader biblereader is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKG View Post
Being dead to sin is an accomplished fact, but there is still a growing process we must go through.
2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Thank you for your excellent explanation. THIS is what I was trying to say.
I'm dead to sin, but it is a growing process we must go through.
That's why Jesus says some saved people are still taking milk, when they should be taking meat, because they've stopped choosing to grow in grace and knowledge of Jesus.

Do you know that the vast majority of people in churches have NO IDEA what the bible says? It SEEMS like all they do, is listen to some namby pamby pastor say God is love, love, love, and no matter what you do, it's ok, because God is love.
People get very angry when I talk about what the bible says about who wont get into heaven.
  #48  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM
biblereader's Avatar
biblereader biblereader is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
He is also a "sovereign gracer", but saw the fallacies in the Reformed position, and never let his doctrines of "grace" get in the way of the gospel, which is only believe.

Would you please break this down, into simple layman's terms?
What are u talking about?
  #49  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
biblereader's Avatar
biblereader biblereader is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Default

OK, Luke, and just about anyone else, since you say this was written ONLY to the Hebrews, and not to me, or any Gentile Christian, this is saying that ONLY the Hebrews can fall away from salvation?

12: Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13: But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14: For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

20: For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21: For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22: But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.[/QUOTE]
  #50  
Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

Maybe I didn't make it clear...

It's a Jewish book written to Jewish people about a Jewish King that is better than Jewish sacrifices, and this is the part I may have forgot, it applies doctrinally during the Jewish dispensation of Jacob's (Israel) Trouble (The Tribulation).

So anyone living in the tribulation can lose their salvation (taking the mark of the beast, worshipping the beast etc).

The second verse is from II Peter I think, and once again, it says Dog, not Sheep. Dogs are unsaved people. And since it doctrinally applies to the tribulation, it is an unsaved gentile.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com