Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
Listening to James White refute a TR onlyist on his internet broadcast today, I heard this remarkable statement:

James White: “Now, of course, everybody recognises a lie when you see it, and unfortunately King James Only folks are willing to lie. That’s just a fact, we’ve documented it many times, and of course, since I’ve written a book on this subject ...”
Sounds like White is still bitter about this issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53W8uiBZq0Q

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-06-2009, 09:12 PM

The only controversy about the KJ Bible,is the Fact that it is not being used in todays churches,as far as Lies,White only tells little ones right?
Gipp is a Ruckmanite,oh that explains it.
Give me a break!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 PM
solabiblia

Default Context, Context

Quote:
Listening to James White refute a TR onlyist on his internet broadcast today, I heard this remarkable statement:

James White: “Now, of course, everybody recognises a lie when you see it, and unfortunately King James Only folks are willing to lie. That’s just a fact, we’ve documented it many times, and of course, since I’ve written a book on this subject ...”
This quote becomes quite another thing when you provide the context. Did you misrepresent Dr. White on purpose, or was it accidental?
Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM

And how would providing a page of context alter "King James Only folks are willing to lie"? Anyone can go listen to his entire "Dividing Line" one hour broadcast on the TR issue from yesterday.

To allude that "context" will change the meaning or intent of this statement is just a ploy. I notice that some anti-KJBOs resort to tactics like this to "fog the issue". (In fact, I heard Dr. White use these skills wonderfully in his broadcast.)

The issue is that Dr. White said these words, "unfortunately King James Only folks are willing to lie".

If this has a different meaning to what it says, please explain it. Or is an a priori commitment against a sound KJBO position forcing you to question all KJBOs, and defend to the uttermost folks like Dr White (or Westcott and Hort)?

Perhaps you would enlighten us on what Dr White really thinks about KJBOs.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The issue is that Dr. White said these words, "unfortunately King James Only folks are willing to lie".
I think to understand this statement you would have to understand Hebrew/Greek as he does.
That statement is obvious,i don't know how a person can think otherwise. We are all sinners,and have all lied,but to come out and say KJO are willing to lie, is like the pot calling the kettle black. I guess some well educated young preachers are looking to move up the ladder by knocking out the KJ bible and those who STILL firmly believe it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM

Is there anyone commited to both the KJV and 5-point Calvinism?
Old 02-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN G View Post
I suppose there are a few deeply confused individuals that buy into the reformed nonsense (heresy? I think so). Most of us here are simply Bible believers. We believe that the Bible says:

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. (John 12:32 KJV)

Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. (1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV)

Thanks and praise be unto our God, who is no respecter of persons!

For Jesus' sake,
Stephen
Old 02-08-2009, 01:35 AM

Default Yes, there are many Calvinists who hold to the KJV

Quote:
Yes. James White routinely avoids the PuritanBoard forums, even though he is a member, because there reside there several Reformed Christians who are Masoretic Hebrew/Received Text at foundation and then King James users on top of that. They argue extremely effectively against the Critical Text and the presuppositions of the Critical Text scholars. White has had every opportunity to debate them, but has to date avoided them completely. He's lately taken to calling them "TRs" which doesn't refer to Textus Receptus but to "Truly Reformed" which is a mocking name given to conservative Reformed Christians by liberal Reformed Christians. White is a liberal theologian at heart. Holding to the Critical Text(s) and the modern versions based on it makes one a liberal by default.

Academic Reformed Christianity wants to give the impression that the Critical Text is the standard among Calvinists/Reformed Christians, but it's not the case. I've found that, again, Calvinists make some of the most devastating critiques of the Critical Text and the scholars to push it.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 AM
solabiblia

Quote:
The man who called Dr. White's program on Thursday was a Reformed 5-point Calvinist KJO.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 AM

Actually, "CalvinandHodges", the man who spoke to James White on Thursday, is TRO. Actually, not a very convinced TRO either.

He writes, "However, if what Dr. White has said is legitimate, and I do not deny that it may very well be, then I believe that the TR should be amended according to the Byzantine Greek witness."

Source: http://www.puritanboard.com/f63/calvin-hodges-dl-43526/