Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM

*wishes he could rate Bro. Steve Schwenke's post a perfect 10!*

Good post brother!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Many fundamentalists who have a high profile will condemn one man for not "being the husband of one wife" (ie divorced and remarried), but they allow wanton fornication and adultery in their churches, even amongst staff members.
Is this not a very wide accusation without substantial evidence?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Is this not a very wide accusation without substantial evidence?
I am not finger pointing at you in particular. I can understand why people take the position they do on this issue, and I have no quarrel with a responsible, reasonable person who takes the anti-divorce position. My accusation is not lacking in substantial witnesses. On the contrary, I have eye-witnesses.
I also understand that this is not normal; but if it is done in one or more of these highly visible "big" fundamentalist, KJV churches, it is very likely to filter down to the churches that are spawned from it. "More is caught than taught."
Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Brother, I did not take it as a personal accusation, but I again emphasize the error in using a broad brush. There are thousands (hopefully) of fundamental churches in the world. You could not possibly be aware of enough instances of your description that could qualify as "Many fundamentalists". I would even say of the numbers of high-profile leaders, however that could be defined, that the ones who openly condemn one behavior while granting the other are a minority as well.

I don't want to get into a spitting contest here. I just think that when one uses broad-reaching accusations, there should not only be ample evidence, but also authority to make such a charge.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
Brother, I did not take it as a personal accusation, but I again emphasize the error in using a broad brush. There are thousands (hopefully) of fundamental churches in the world. You could not possibly be aware of enough instances of your description that could qualify as "Many fundamentalists". I would even say of the numbers of high-profile leaders, however that could be defined, that the ones who openly condemn one behavior while granting the other are a minority as well.

I don't want to get into a spitting contest here. I just think that when one uses broad-reaching accusations, there should not only be ample evidence, but also authority to make such a charge.
Understood...