Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM
avbunyan

Default What a Blessing

Greetings brethren,

Was looking over your forum and posts and was refreshed by the uplifting of the greatest book ever given to man.

It was good to see some familiar "faces" and great to see that "some" are not here! I am not interested anymore in fighting with AVCs (AV Correctors).

BTW - what do I believe? I believe the AV I have in my hands is the inspired word of God down to the italicized words and punctuation marks, etc. The AV has been working miracuoulsy in the lives of saints and sinners for over 350 years just fine - wouldn't change nothin'.

The articles are great and a good source of info. There is nothing new that an ole' dog like me can add that you folks don't already know so I will just show up from time to time and "feed".

May God richly bless!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Welcome friend.

Quote:
The articles are great and a good source of info. There is nothing new that an ole' dog like me can add that you folks don't already know so I will just show up from time to time and "feed".
Everyone is here for the edification of each other (most of the time)
Old 10-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Welcome, Brother!
I trust that you will have us more courteous and charactered than FFF.

Well, there may be a few of us who still need to work on our James 1:19 skills, but we're tryin'.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:09 AM

I have an important issue to raise now:

What Bible did John Bunyan use and quote?

Someone showed that his quotes were generally conformed the KJB.

But then a smart alec modernist said, "but which edition of the AV was he using? You see, the AV in 1660 is different to now."

Of course, this is incorrect. Sure, there are differences in editions of the KJB, but the text and translation is not different between 1660 and now, nor between 1660 and 1611. In short, if someone was using the KJB in 1660 or 1960 they are using the same Bible version.

Now it may be that when people quote from memory, or grew up with the Geneva version (as people may have in the early times of the KJB), that their quotations are not always going to match the KJB 100%. But then, even preachers from the early 1900s (when the KJB was pre-eminent) will be found to not always quote 100% exact. (And it gets worse today when modern publishers change the version quotations of traditional preachers... so that their KJB usage is changed to a modern version.)

Today, I believe that we should strive to quote correctly and exactly, and not change so much as a piece of punctuation.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Scott Simons

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post

Someone showed that his quotes were generally conformed the KJB.

But then a smart alec modernist said, "but which edition of the AV was he using? You see, the AV in 1660 is different to now."

Of course, this is incorrect. Sure, there are differences in editions of the KJB, but the text and translation is not different between 1660 and now, nor between 1660 and 1611. In short, if someone was using the KJB in 1660 or 1960 they are using the same Bible version.

Now it may be that when people quote from memory, or grew up with the Geneva version (as people may have in the early times of the KJB), that their quotations are not always going to match the KJB 100%. But then, even preachers from the early 1900s (when the KJB was pre-eminent) will be found to not always quote 100% exact. (And it gets worse today when modern publishers change the version quotations of traditional preachers... so that their KJB usage is changed to a modern version.)

Today, I believe that we should strive to quote correctly and exactly, and not change so much as a piece of punctuation.

Those are good points and true also.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 AM
avbunyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post

For what's worth - found this site - http://www.kjv-asia.com/authorized_v...neva_bible.htm

Just food for thought - Whether Bunyan used the Geneva alot wouldn't panic me - the Geneva still came from the right line/family.

One thing I believe to be so but can't prove - If John Bunyan were alive today I am willing to bet he wouldn't use the modern versions. He'd use the AV today and probably call the modern versions Romish because they line up with the Catholic bibles - which they do. Why so many can't see this as they defend their ESV, NASV, NIV, etc. contiues to amaze me.

God bless

Last edited by avbunyan; 10-03-2008 at 08:44 AM.