General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM

I never did see the point in having someone sign my Bible. It's God's Book; what I personally write in it is a record of the way the Holy Spirit has worked on me. To get a man to autograph it seems almost sacrilegious.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Default Re: "Signing Bibles"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaplainPaul View Post
It's only happened to me once. I was so stunned by such a request I didn't know what to do, so I wrote a reference to John 4:34. It was very flattering and made me feel prideful. I'm prepared now for such requests, and know how to kindly decline or redirect. Personally, I won't sign as a celebrity (which I'm certainly not!). I just don't feel good about it. I don't mind writing something if I'm giving a gift,though. I could see where having a short note from a godly man inside your Bible might be an encouragement. Only stay humble!
Aloha brother,

And a hearty to all that you have written. No harm in having your name embossed on your Bible, and no harm in writing a word of encouragement with a Scripture on the front of a believer's Bible.

Signing it, like a "celebrity", is what bothers me, and I'm extremely pleased that you see that.

Our whole emphasis should be on the Person of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ; and upon His Holy word.

John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM

Hummm,I guess that has never come up?! I have my grandmother's old family Bible, and she wrote a poem on the front ,signed,dated it. Its a precious memory for all the family..but to actually ASK or have someone sign their name in my Bible..it has never come up. I would'nt want that ..its private,personal, just sort of 'not done'.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post
Hummm,I guess that has never come up?! I have my grandmother's old family Bible, and she wrote a poem on the front ,signed,dated it. Its a precious memory for all the family..but to actually ASK or have someone sign their name in my Bible..it has never come up. I would'nt want that ..its private,personal, just sort of 'not done'.

Thats right Sister, to give a Bible to someone is one of the best heartfelt gifts we could give anyone, or receive (except the Gift of salvation of course ), nothing at all wrong with marking it. When I led my little niece to Christ I gave her a small KJB and wrote in the date of her salvation and a Psalm and a little note from myself on how delighted I was for her. I have my grandfathers old Bible, with notes from my grandmother when she bought it for him, like you said precious memories. I would never think of asking any pastor or preacher to sign my Bible like a rock star would sign their album, it just dosent sit well. Sure if they wrote a book and signed it that would be no problem. My Bible is signed with Christs Blood, it testifys of Christs blood and contains the words of everlasting life. What man could ever top that
Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Default Would I have someone sign my Bible?

NO! I'm a new Christian (I been saved for a year), and I don't see the point of having someone sign my Bible. It's not like they authored the Book. I don't remember reading about the Prophets and Apostles that the LORD God used to put His Words into writing, giving autographs everywhere they went. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to the LORD God for great men of God like Jack Hyles, Peter Ruckman, Kent Hovind, etc. I admire their courage and their willingness to let God use them, but I try not to see them as Hollywood stars (LORD knows we already have a enough of those out in the world). I find it distasteful every time I see one of my brethren going towards a famous preacher to have their Bibles signed. I would probably avoid anyone writing in my Bible to begin with, but, I agree that if you write a poem, psalm, or encouraging note on one the blank pages of my Bible, I wouldn't stop from you signing, but just signing my Bible because you‘re famous I‘m completely against! However, like some of you said earlier, I wouldn't mind having them (men of God) sign a book they did authored or taking a picture with them, but no Bible signing!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM

Hello Chaplain Paul,

I must admit, when I first read the topic, "Signing Bibles" - the picture in my mind was quite different. Being DEAF, I thought that it related to putting the Bible into Sign Language for Deaf brethren!

Sister Jassy