General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Default KJ study bible

Does anyone have a suggestion on a KJ study bible, what to look for and where to purchase one, Barnes and Noble etc.. thank you. Jeremy
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM

Oh my Bro.Jeremy, How long is a piece of string?
Choosing a study Bible is a personal thing, it depends upon your particular Doctrinal stance. i.e. if your Dispensational then it is Scofield, or Pilgrim, oh and Ryrie... Then there is Thompson Chain reference, and the KJV Study Bible by Nelson I believe. There is the Common Mans Reference Bible & also Rock Of Ages Prison Ministry do a Study Bible...
So you can see bro. the world is your oyster as they say, personally I cut my teeth on Pilgrim, Scofield and had a Thompson. Forgive me but the best Study Bible is the one that is used...
My advice for what it is worth is get a good wide margin Bible and make your own, the problem with 'Study Bibles' per se is you will not agree with all the notes. There is also the question of should those notes be in therte but that is a different tack!
IMHO go with a Wide Margin and get some good refernce books and study for all your worth, and hey you want 10 zillion opinions on verses etc... post your questions here...
Joking aside, you would in short order really get to grips with issues etc.... nothing like running verses and comparing scripture with scripture.
Hope I have not confused you bro....
Every Blessing....
Old 05-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Default Re; Study Bibles

Ditto! Agreed! With every single word that "Chaplainles" suggested.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM
LeeM1023

Default Study Bible?

I love the comment that the best study Bible is the one that is used! A whole shelf of unread Bible is just so much paper.

Over the years I have gradually abandoned commentaries, because in my experience they explain the easy, obvious verses and ignore the difficult ones.

The advantage of Thompson's Chain Reference is that there are not overt doctrinal notes (although the organization of the topics and some of the comments are not 100% neutral). I have the King James Study Bible (Baptist) and the Full Life Study Bible (pentecostal) and they both irritate me more than help me.

So currently my vote is with Thompson. Find a 4th edition if you can, and a copy printed in the U.S. For a while they were having them printed in Korea and the quality wasn't as good.

Lee
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion on a KJ study bible, what to look for and where to purchase one, Barnes and Noble etc.. thank you. Jeremy
Good question Jeremy. You have been given some good answers. You will not go wrong with the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. Unless you are 20/15 , then opt for the Large Print edition- . They have Hardback, Bonded Leather and Genuine Leather. If you can afford the genuine or calfskin leather...buy it, because it lasts longer.

I also own The Open Bible in K.J. published by Thomas Nelson pubs.. Very, Very good study Bible. Up front is the Cyclopedic Index with thousands of entries for subjects, and each book from Genesis to Revelation has an introduction that tells who/what/why/where/how the Book was written. There are many helpful and instructive things such as a history of the English Bible, a short history of the apostles, and an excellent list of Old testament prophecies-subjects-New Testament fulfillments. Weights,measures, monies. Maps. A very useful thing is located between the Testaments---The Christian Life Study outlines. Subjects cover many areas, and are very good basic instruction for Christianity. The studies all key into the New Testament and give you the page number to find the verse on.

There is another one called "The Defenders Study Bible" with input from Dr. Henry Morris (a creationist) of the I.C.R.. They give helps to defend creationism and inerrancy! {I think it is published by World}.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
LeeM1023

Default Thompson Chain-Reference

Yes, reading the Thompson Chain-Reference can be a challenge, partly because it's so packed full of information. Even the large print edition doesn't have really large print . . .

One negative is that there are a few notations in the margins with alternate readings from the revised version. They're clearly marked, and they're never inserted in the text. They don't bother me--I treat them like "dictionary" type definitions, using them only if they're helpful (they rarely are).

The Open Bible is also a decent reference book. It has minimal cross-references, but lots of supplemental material.

Alex
Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM

I read "The Book No One Can Read" by Dr. Dave Reese, and here are his EIGHT REASONS WHY WE WILL CLOSE THE OPEN BIBLE (excerpts only).

1. It claims to be The King James Version. But the words are ch anged. If words are
changed, it is not The King James Version. It is another Bible.
2. If there is justification for changing some words, where do we stop? Why not go
ahead with the other changes, i.e., “itself” to “Himself” in Romans 8:16; “Easter” to
“Passover” in Acts 12:3, etc.
3. This is a subtle approach whereby the Christian school student is taught to change the
“outdated”, “archaic”, “poorly translated” King James Version.
4. It sets the high school graduate up so that when he goes to college and hears that the
NASV, RSV, or NWT is a better translation than the King James Bible, the student,
having been brainwashed by the Student Edition of The Open Bible, has no defense.
5. The Open Bible gives another translation after almost every verse in it. These
translations are ver y questionable. In some case, they are priv ate interpretations.
Here are some samples:
In I Corinthians 11:1, Ephesians 5:1 and I Thessalonians 1:6, we are to be imitation
Christians according to The Open Bible and the RSV. That is real development of Christian
character!
I John 5:7 states that (with reference to the Godhead) “…These three are one-united ”.
There is much more in the Biblical statement than the idea of “united.”

6. The Open Bible is inconsistent in the suggested translation of various terms. In fact,
the perversion changes words with no apparent design other than to attack the King
James Bible. These are found immediately after the verse.
Here are some examples:
In Matthew 1:19, the King James Version privily is chan ged to “secr etly. ” When the
KJV reads secretly in John 11:28, The Open Bible changes it to “privately.” What is this but a
deliberate attack upon the Kin g James Bible?

The Open Bible changes hyssop to “a branch” in John 19:29 but leaves hyssop in Exodus
12:11.
Hypocrites are chan ged to “insincere” in Matthew 6:5 but are allowed to remain
hypocrites in Matthew 23:13,5. But when the KJV translates “anupokritos” as without
dissimulation in Romans 12:9, The Open Bible corrects it with “hyp ocrisy”!
Revelation 22:19 cannot be ignored. The King James Bible says: …the book of life…
The Textus Receptus says: “…Biblou tas Zoas…” The Open Bible says this should be “…THE
TREE OF LIFE…”

7. The verse reference system is fouled up.

The Church of Christ preacher saw to it that the John 3:5 born of water got the standard
Campbellite treatment. He inserted Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, and the “washing” of Titus 3:5 to
explain the text like any so-called Church of Christ minister.

8. The spelling changes.

“with extreme care we have changed…alway to always”

Then they change alway to “always” in John 7:6:
“…your time is always..” (Open Bible)
AND LEAVE IT UNCHANGED IN MATTHEW 28:20!
…I am with you alway…

Some words are changed and the reader is not even told about it. Example:
rereward in Joshua 6:9 is changed to “rearward” in the text and then to “rear guard” at
the end of the verse.

The King James Version has been criticized for its spelling of a word, FATS, in Joel
2:24 and Joel 3:13. The critics say it should be VATS since the containers that hold the overflow
from the winepresses are in view. However, the King James Version again demonstrates its
superiority over German spelling, archaic problems, Hebrew characters, etc.
The Open Bible missed the winefat which someone walked in (Isaiah 63:3) and changed
the King James Version only in Joel 2:24 and 3:13 from fats to “vats”, thinking they were doing
a great service to mankind. The vessels that hold the “fat” of the grap es are identified with that
which they hold. Since “fats” are in the vessels and it is that for which they exist, there is
nothing wrong with calling the containers, “FATS.” The English languages (and other
languages) are replete with examples. The metal fixtures, glass, and wire stuck above your head
carry LIGHT and have become identified with that which comes from it. We say, “Turn on the
light” (flip the switch ), or “That light has a bad connection.” (The wires are loose in the fixture),
or “Who will install the lights?” (Who will lay the wire and nail the fixture to the ceiling?) What
is wrong with identifying a container with that which it holds?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Question Say Wwhhaaatt??

BibleStudent:--- Hmmmm---Well I looked at the first 2 examples that you listed and I don't see any wrong with them. 1Cor 11:1, and Eph. 5:1---Don't know who this Reese guy is , but he might be one of the types of people that hates the idea of a any Bible with study helps in it.

The Thread Starter asked for suggestions for a Study Bible. I'm assuming that he already has a Text (or Pew) Bible. The Study helps are there to STUDY with such as the Cyclpedic Index up front and the several other things that I listed above. Very helpful if you are preparing a Sunday School or Vacation Bible Bible School message, or trying to find out why Paul wrote different letters to different Churches,etc..

If there was something "wrong" or "wacky" such as the Pentecostal "Full-Life" or the "Dakes"...then I would not have recommended it.

BTW---I do NOT own any stock in Thomas Nelson company---
Old 05-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Brother, as you can see, there are various opinions whether or not someone should use a study Bible at all. I am a minister and I (for one) appreciate historical perspectives that I absolutely would not get with just my KJV. That doesn't mean I can't be saved, or witness or even preach with just the Bible, but I love being able to study as well. I will give you an example. We just finished Daniel Chapter 11 last night in our Bible study, and there is no way I would ever know the historical figures spoken about there without a study Bible with historical perspective. Example, in verse 17:
Quote:
Daniel 11:17 He shall also set his face to enter with the strength of his whole kingdom, and upright ones with him; thus shall he do: and he shall give him the daughter of women, corrupting her: but she shall not stand on his side, neither be for him.
Unless someone really knows history well, I would hazard a guess no one would know that the "daughter of women" is considered to be Cleopatra. That whole chapter is full of prophecy that was amazingly fulfilled 400 years after it was written!! But I wouldn't know that if I didn't have the study Bibles (and Swordsearcher) to study with.

I have had several study Bibles, some would make many go (such as John MacArthurs, and the Full Life study Bible), I have a Nelson KJV study Bible, I have a Thompsons, I have a Dakes and an open Bible, and when Bro. Ruckmans comes out (Lord willing and my wife doesn't care)(and she doesn't) I will have one of those. But my favorite is one from Kregel Publishing, EW Bullingers Companion Bible. All ministers should have a Thompsons Chain Reference and a Naves Topical Bible as well. But the Companion Bible was done about 100 years ago, and it is a scholarly work with more notes than you'll ever read; the only down side to any study Bible is that they will at times give alternate words for the KJV which, if we let it, can cast doubt on an unsuspecting soul, which I assume you are not. God bless
Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote by Biblestudent:
Quote:
I read "The Book No One Can Read" by Dr. Dave Reese, and here are his EIGHT REASONS WHY WE WILL CLOSE THE OPEN BIBLE (excerpts only).

1. It claims to be The King James Version. But the words are changed. If words are
changed, it is not The King James Version. It is another Bible.

Brother, I don't know how much you paid for that book, but if it wasn't free, it was too much and if it was free, I'd throw it away....I just checked my Open Bible with those quotes and, unless we are talking about a different Open Bible [don't know how many there could be], his examples are wrong. The Open Bible is what I do my READING with, because it is perfect for just reading and not studying......God bless, Scott