Prayer Requests Post your prayer requests here.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 AM

Default My weight

Well I started a diet for the fourth or fifith time. Please pray that I will stay motivated and keep off the weitht. Please also pray for my body. I have had several injuries over the years that whenever I think they are healed and trie to lift wieghts they seem to get reinjured even if I start out with light wieghts. Right now my left shoulder is hurting and all I used was a 10 pound weight. Pray also for my wife as we are i this together. God bless.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBibleSender View Post
Well I started a diet for the fourth or fifith time. Please pray that I will stay motivated and keep off the weitht. Please also pray for my body. I have had several injuries over the years that whenever I think they are healed and trie to lift wieghts they seem to get reinjured even if I start out with light wieghts. Right now my left shoulder is hurting and all I used was a 10 pound weight. Pray also for my wife as we are i this together. God bless.
I certainly will pray for you and yours, brother. I am in a similar situation: I need to lose weight before surgery, but due to my condition, cannot 'exercise' it off. I'm using diet and occasional freeweight lifting to help me.

I've also been claiming 1 Corinthians 10:13 a lot, lately:
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." I can't do it on my own, but need the Lord's help to resist overeating.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM

Prayers for you and your wife.

Weight has always been a struggle for us. We lost a lot of weight over 2 years of doing Atkins. We maintained for 2 years. We gained some back after moving and various things. We went reduced calorie last year and Diligent lost what he gained and then some. He weighs less than he did in when we married and he was 19 back then. His overall weight loss is 97 lbs from high weight to current. I have 15 lbs to go to get back to my low weight once more. For an overall 40 lbs weight loss.

Having dealt with injuries, working out, and re-injuring myself I have found that while weights give the biggest muscle gains and fastest weight loss, they also tend to bring the quickest re-injury as well. I have bad shoulders, knees, ankles, a few other trick spots. Make sure you stay well hydrated. Dry muscles seem to get injured easier.

What works best for me are things that use my own body weight and balance. Walking (running/jogging kills my ankles and knees), push ups, sit ups, squats, planks, side planks, etc. Good for overall cardio, toning, not a lot of bulking up - but you still build lean muscle from working them in a range of motion.

I also find the quickest way for me to burn out on diet or an exercise program is to start both at once. It is too much of a hypo-caloric jump all at once for my system. I get horrible food cravings and feel like I am starving after a work out. Or I get too weak and get injured again. I start one or the other and once my body has adjusted to the caloric needs (about a week later), THEN I add in the other.

Be sure to eat enough to meet your caloric needs. (This was always a way I sabotage myself in the past.) Too much and you won't lose weight, but TOO LITTLE and your body will go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow and you will plateau. You need to create a deficit of 3,500 calories per week to lose 1 pound of weight.

Rather than eating the same amount of calories per day it works better to mix it up a little. 1,500 one day 1,700 the next with an overall -3,500 calories per week from your caloric needs. (Men should never go lower than 1,500 and women no lower than 1,200 on any given day.) This helps to keep the metabolism from stalling out and adjusting to X amount per day.

Advanced BMI is a good starting point to find out what weight you should aim for.

Calorie Counter will tell you how many calories you need to maintain your weight and that will tell you how much you can safely reduce to lose weight.

Air Force Reserve: pre-boot camp workout is a very simple program that requires nothing, but space to walk around. I did it with just walking in place of the jogging/running (because of my ankles) and lost 8 pounds in 3 months.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=Here Am I;14004][b][color=teal] I'm using diet and occasional freeweight lifting to help me.

[QUOTE]

Diet alone can make some amazing changes. Our first 10lbs were simply from cutting out sodas and other forms of sugar. No exercise or other lifestyle changes except eliminating refined white stuff. And well, Diligent's last 30-40 lbs were diet alone and he is a compute programmer so that is a pretty sedentary day.

I know a gal on another forum who was in line for stomach band surgery to reduce her weight because it was causing so many health problems. Come to find out once they got her hormones/thyroid in check and she started working with a nutritionist the pounds started dropping. She has lost a lot of weight. No longer needs surgery. Her health issues are clearing up. She has recently started exercising.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Unhappy

[QUOTE=JaeByrd;14008][QUOTE=Here Am I;14004][b][color=teal] I'm using diet and occasional freeweight lifting to help me.

Quote:

Diet alone can make some amazing changes. Our first 10lbs were simply from cutting out sodas and other forms of sugar. No exercise or other lifestyle changes except eliminating refined white stuff. And well, Diligent's last 30-40 lbs were diet alone and he is a compute programmer so that is a pretty sedentary day.

I know a gal on another forum who was in line for stomach band surgery to reduce her weight because it was causing so many health problems. Come to find out once they got her hormones/thyroid in check and she started working with a nutritionist the pounds started dropping. She has lost a lot of weight. No longer needs surgery. Her health issues are clearing up. She has recently started exercising.

I will pray for You and wife, BibleSender..and Lor..and JaeByrd...please add me to the list...I'm taking a class starting Monday with a Nutritionist, its once a week for 40 weeks...she evaluates you,and helps with your diet program..and she
recommends the small trampoline..she says it helps cleanses the lympnodes!
When asking around..found others to say the same...its a gentle excercise
and is easy on your joints and bones. Just found out I am type 2 diabetic...
but the Dr. said with diet..excercise..and changing my mind/heart attitude
about eating habits...not eating 3 meals..skipping...is not right...so I'm excited to get into this..and I am praying I will be off the 2 pills a day!

Blessings,
Billie

Last edited by Billie; 01-03-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM

I have used www.dailyplate.com in the past and had good success. It helps you keep track of your calories and exercise. Just type in height weight and age and how much you want to lose each week and it will tell you the amount of calories to consume. God bless.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 AM

How are things going? Still eating well I hope? How is your shoulder doing?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM

Doing good. I am down almost 30 pounds. My shoulder is doing okay. I am just trying to take it easy when I lift. Please pray for me My old nature wants to see how much I can lift but I know that will only result in further injury. God bless.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM

I have prayed for you and would like to offer some edification. I am no expert on this matter, but I am reading and studying to see what I can learn and one thing I’ve learned for sure is that the only eating (I don’t like the word diet) and exercise plan that benefits you is the one you can stick with. What I have ascertained so far is the two main ingredients for weight management is eating right and proper strength training. Exercise doesn’t have near as much of an impact on weight loss as eating right. That’s why I recommend going easy on the cardio. Cardio has its place, but is way overrated. Brisk walking is the best cardio. I would never recommend jogging or any other high impact movements as they harm your joints and really don’t add that much to weight loss or heart health. In the long run strength training will have longer lasting benefit. All strength training, whether it is pushups or weights, should be performed in a slow controlled manner.

Here is an excellent site with some good tips on both exercise and eating right

http://www.mcnewsletters.com/welcome.html

Another site with some good tips on proper weight training

http://baye.com/

Here are some sites that may challenge your views on health and nutrition

http://www.westonaprice.org/

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/

http://calorielab.com/news/2007/05/2...cant-hurt-you/

http://www.thincs.org/

http://www.thincs.org/links.htm#about

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html
Old 01-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks I will try and check them out. God bless.