Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 AM

Default Truly Sincere

Thank you all for your contributions. This has been a very difficult issue for me.

The scholars really believe that they know better than writers of scripture. It is that arrogance that prompted me to attempt some sort of thread. It is my contention that scholars today are no wiser than Paul was and are in need of the same faith that Paul had when he wrote. I do not really believe in human progress.

Having endured an undergraduate education at the hands of liberal scholars, I was thrust into several crisis of faith over the issue of scripture. Yet in all of the exploration I have done, even with a Pentecost preacher, a Baptist pastor and a Presbyterian minister, all sincere people, no one ever suggested that English translations could be inspired. It was always about the Hebrew and Greek.

Having attempted to "master" scripture through scholarship (studying all the criticisms and languages, etc.), my faith in God's word has been shaken. Always I am reminded of what Paul wrote in his first letter to the Corinthians: "Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this word? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" (1 Corinthians 1:20).

I am discovering that I do not know nearly as much as I thought I knew.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Let God be true and every man a liar.

God said that his words would last to every generation and that we must live off of them.

God can not lie.

Whatsoever things are pure, true, well reported off...think on these things. Hold fast that which is good.

The King James Bible fits these scriptual profiles perfectly.

Reading the Translators To The Reader of the KJB compared to those in the new versions shows first hand the attitude of the people behind the new versions.

That settles it for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeak View Post
Thank you all for your contributions. This has been a very difficult issue for me.
I can appreciate your struggle. Modern Christian theologians have made it a difficult issue, but it's really a matter of faith. I found, when I compared the King James Bible to the modern versions (this list, for example http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/themagicmarker.html), that there is a significant amount of material left out of them. Because of that, I couldn't blindly accept both the KJB and the modern versions as the Word of God. Scholarship fundamentally changed the Scriptures.

I don't have all the answers, or probably even many of them, but I've settled for myself that the King James Bible is the faithful Word of God. That's something that each of us has to settle.

Quote:
There's a lot of maturity in that statement. God gives us two pictures of infinity through the telescope and the microscope. Space is never ending and the farther we can see into it, the farther there is to see. All matter is made of matter, and however small it may be, it is made of still smaller matter. Yet God sees infinity from one end to the other. The more I learn about His Word and His creation, the more I become aware that I don't know nearly as much as I thought I knew, either. I think that's a good thing. That indicates a knowlege obtained which has not caused us to be "puffed up," but led us to magnify God in His wisdom and glory.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeak
faith in God's word has been shaken
There is an assumption out there that King James Only people believe that God inspired the Bible in 1611. Most King James Bible Only people do not believe that at all.

I have noticed that people who pretend to "expose" King James Bible Only by making a big noise are really (whether they mean to or not) destroying faith in the Word of God itself.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
There is an assumption out there that King James Only people believe that God inspired the Bible in 1611. Most King James Bible Only people do not believe that at all.

I have noticed that people who pretend to "expose" King James Bible Only by making a big noise are really (whether they mean to or not) destroying faith in the Word of God itself.
Amen Brother!
They should quit trying to prove God wrong. Not scorn how wrong of us it is to believe that the KJB is the "whole counsel of God" in one book, error free and perfectly preserved. Imagine that! We trust in our God who has enough omnipotence to do all those things.
Shame on us right?
I don't think so.

2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 05-14-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Yes, you need to realize that the scriptures are spirtual, not intellectual. You must first believe the scriptures before they effectually work in you as Tony said.

1 Thes 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

1 Cor 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

You will never understand the scriptures through intellect or scholarship without first approaching them through faith.

The scoffers and the doubters want us to prove that the King James is the Word of God, then they say they will believe. I sincerely doubt that would make any difference at all.

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

These folks had the scriptures in the original languages and still did not believe. This debate over language is just an excuse in my opinion. The real issue is faith. These doubters are no different than those who asked the Lord to perform signs. They want proof before they will believe. But God says you must believe first.

God has promised in many verses to preserve his word to all generations. We simply believe that God has kept his promise, and that preserved word is the King James Bible.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
1 Cor 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

You will never understand the scriptures through intellect or scholarship without first approaching them through faith.
Amen, brother. This is the stumbling block for a lot of people who reject the supremacy of the King James Bible.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
I also believe he is sincere Brother, I was just pointing out to Brother Luke that its ok to be on guard sometimes with the amount of deniers and critics that pass through these forums it can sometimes be frustrating.
But yes you are right we have to have an answer for every man and woman.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
I should not have jumped in twixt you and Luke buddy. I didn't mean to sound like I am an all being and omniscient guru either, brother. Finding someone sincere is very rare and the opportunity to help even rarer.

Grace and peace to you and you have a great weekend.

Tony
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
I should not have jumped in twixt you and Luke buddy. I didn't mean to sound like I am an all being and omniscient guru either, brother. Finding someone sincere is very rare and the opportunity to help even rarer.

Grace and peace to you and you have a great weekend.

Tony

You didn't, no worries Brother

God Bless
Old 05-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:

The scholars really believe that they know better than writers of scripture. It is that arrogance that prompted me to attempt some sort of thread. It is my contention that scholars today are no wiser than Paul was and are in need of the same faith that Paul had when he wrote. I do not really believe in human progress.

Having endured an undergraduate education at the hands of liberal scholars, I was thrust into several crisis of faith over the issue of scripture. Yet in all of the exploration I have done, even with a Pentecost preacher, a Baptist pastor and a Presbyterian minister, all sincere people, no one ever suggested that English translations could be inspired. It was always about the Hebrew and Greek.

Having attempted to "master" scripture through scholarship (studying all the criticisms and languages, etc.), my faith in God's word has been shaken. Always I am reminded of what Paul wrote in his first letter to the Corinthians: "Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this word? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" (1 Corinthians 1:20).

Matthew, the gospel of Christ was preached to me in a Sunday school class at the age of 12. The teacher believed the English bible in her hands was the word of God and I accepted the gospel as the word of God and born again by the incorruptible seed of the word of God. There was no little angelic fairy came down with the little wand with the star on the end of it and whacked me on the head. What took place was in the spiritual dimension as is where the word of God works. These manuscripts and texts are all carnal topics, the issue is in the spiritual realm where our warfare takes place. Now, many times the "MVs", as I refer to as Original Manuscript Frauds, make the outrageous claim that you are some kind of British Israelite for maintaining the word of God as being present in a given-by-inspiration form in English. That's empty rhetoric to see if they can draw you into an argument and also to intimidate you. Satan would love to confine the words of God into the past in manuscripts that no longer exist and in languages that are dead.

Now, I want to match your sincerity with my patience. Too many "KJVO"s are hasty, and when you don't accept everything instantly, well, go jump in the river. That's not decent or orderly. The Muslims did not cause this attack on your faith, it was people within the camp of Christianity who did a number on it. Get off to yourself with a KJV and God. Think on what God did before, what He is doing now, and what He will do in the future. Moses is dust, Jeremiah is dust, the original manuscripts are dust. What is His will for your life today? First read Psalms 119. Read it twice if you have to till it is burned into your brain. Then study these six verses and pray for Him to make you understand how they apply to you today:

18 And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book out of that which is before the priests the Levites:
19 And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them:

When a copy of the OT Scriptures wore out the Levites copied it and burned the old one. Why did God make it so plain that the kings of Israel make a copy of the OT and study it and keep it close to them, if copies are not "inspired". How and why is the copy you hold in your hands any different?

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

This verse is not for 4000 years ago but is for today. The Spirit of God dwells in you and will do just as this verse says.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Why does Paul and the Holy Ghost present this precept as present tense if it applies only to the "original manuscripts"? Here is how your school and the FFF forum retranslates that verse:

2Ti 3:16 All original manuscripts were given by inspiration of God, and was profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

What does "all Scripture" mean for today? Where is it?

1Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

The last seven words of that verse define "inspiration" today. The first process of inspiration, initial revelation is Time Past. The second act, reproduction of His word, is ongoing and is into eternity. You hold in your hands what He wants you to have today. The third process of inspiration is going on inside you and in those who believe that word that you preach and teach to them. All this is for today, today is what counts, not when Codex Ravianus was written, today.

My friend, a KJV is black squiggly lines on reconstituted wood pulp sheaves bound between a slab of leather. God working, living, breathing, bringing dead spirits to life is what makes it divine and alive, the words are what are inspired.

Study the Scripture I have given you here, you'll get it just like I did. Grace and peace to my brother.

Tony

Last edited by tonybones2112; 05-15-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo