Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

View Poll Results: Is water baptism Biblically correct for believers today?
Yes 29 85.29%
Yes
29 85.29%
No 5 14.71%
No
5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Ac 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

When shall he send Jesus?

When is the times of restitution of all things?

It is the Millennial Kingdom at the end of the Great tribulation. this put the context is not for today
Chette, I would agree with the point you made here. Where you and differ is whether Peter preached forgiveness of sins to the Jews in the early chapters of Acts which you say he did not. I have already shown that Peter did indeed preach forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ several times.

As concerning Jesus returning to restore the kingdom, the apostles asked Jesus this very thing in chapter 1.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

Now, I would not take Jesus's answer as a yes, neither was it a no. Jesus told them it was not for them to know this time or season. So, for Peter to preach that if the Jews would accept Jesus, that Jesus would immediately return would be a little presumptuous wouldn't it??

And in the very next verse Jesus mentions the Gentiles.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

So, I see only one gospel here. The gospel that went unto Jerusalem, Judaea, and Samaria, would be also preached to the uttermost part of the earth.

And Jesus had told the apostles several times that the gospel would go to the Gentiles, although it is most likely they did not understand.

Matt 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Bro. Parrish

Hey Winman, can you PM me your e-mail I wanted to ask you a couple of questions off the forum.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Re: "Is water baptism for today?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
"Chette, I would agree with the point you made here. Where you and differ is whether Peter preached forgiveness of sins to the Jews in the early chapters of Acts which you say he did not. I have already shown that Peter did indeed preach forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ several times.

As concerning Jesus returning to restore the kingdom, the apostles asked Jesus this very thing in chapter 1.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

Now, I would not take Jesus's answer as a yes, neither was it a no. Jesus told them it was not for them to know this time or season. So, for Peter to preach that if the Jews would accept Jesus, that Jesus would immediately return would be a little presumptuous wouldn't it?? {Acts 1:7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power. - G.A.}

And in the very next verse Jesus mentions the Gentiles.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

So, I see only one gospel here. The gospel that went unto Jerusalem, Judaea, and Samaria, would be also preached to the uttermost part of the earth.

And Jesus had told the apostles several times that the gospel would go to the Gentiles, although it is most likely they did not understand.

Matt 8:11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven".

Aloha brother Winman,

I don't intend to stretch this out much longer, but I have to take exception to your statement: "Now, I would not take Jesus's answer as a yes, neither was it a no. Jesus told them it was not for them to know this time or season. So, for Peter to preach that if the Jews would accept Jesus, that Jesus would immediately return would be a little presumptuous wouldn't it??"

My answer to your "speculation" is: NOT IF he was speaking under the GUIDANCE of the Holy Spirit - WHICH HE WAS! Do you honestly think that an Apostle, who is called of God and who has been "FILLED" with the Holy Ghost, is going to have the audacity to "presume" upon God when he is preaching, and insert his own "little presumptions" in his message to God's people? To question Peter's judgment here is akin to questioning the "guidance" of the Holy Spirit Himself!

Peter wasn't giving his "private opinion" here (like so many preachers do today); he was speaking as the Holy Spirit gave him utterance, and so the offer of Christ's return was both a legitimate and bonafide offer - made by God the Holy Spirit speaking through the Apostle Peter. Peter was either speaking under the influence of the Holy Spirit, as the "holy men of God spake" in times past, or he wasn't - but one thing's for sure, the Apostle Peter was NOT "PRESUMPTUOUS"; he was preaching exactly WHAT God led him to preach, the context removes all doubt, this "message" was from God Himself. [2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.]

The offer of Christ's RETURN was CONTINGENT on the nation of Israel repenting of killing their Messiah and King - when they rejected God's offer of reconciliation, God rejected them (temporarily) and turned to the Gentiles. It's that simple.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 PM

Bro George

I have already addressed this in your post on rightly dividing the word in Acts.

And you missed my point completely. No, I absolutely do not think Peter was being presumptuous.

I DO NOT THINK PETER WAS PREACHING THE RESTORATION OF THE KINGDOM!

This is where we differ. I believe Peter was preaching the very same gospel that Paul preached.

I have already answered this in your other thread.

Last edited by Winman; 06-02-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Default Re: "Is water baptism for today?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post
Bro George

I have already addressed this in your post on rightly dividing the word in Acts.

And you missed my point completely. No, I absolutely do not think Peter was being presumptuous.

I DO NOT THINK PETER WAS PREACHING THE RESTORATION OF THE KINGDOM!

This is where we differ. I believe Peter was preaching the very same gospel that Paul preached.

I have already answered this in your other thread.

Aloha brother Winman,

And the "POINT" is - and you've "missed" mine.