Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 PM

Default Defense of Matthew 7:14

This was in a thread over at baptist board. I posted about Matthew 7:14 in the NKJV and KJB, and how salvation is not difficult

Someone posted back claiming strait meant difficult

This was my response

------------
Why don't we use the Bible to define the word. God's word is perfect

Num 22:26 And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left.

Jos 17:15 And Joshua answered them, If thou be a great people, then get thee up to the wood country, and cut down for thyself there in the land of the Perizzites and of the giants, if mount Ephraim be too narrow for thee.

1Ki 6:4 And for the house he made windows of narrow lights.

Pro 23:27 For a whore is a deep ditch; and a strange woman is a narrow pit.

Isa 49:19 For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away.

So according to the Bible (I left out a few references to narrow windows), the word NARROW always refers to a tight small place, where there is only one way to go.

Let's look at strait

2Ki 6:1 And the sons of the prophets said unto Elisha, Behold now, the place where we dwell with thee is too strait for us. (it was too small, so they went elsewhere and built huts in the following passages)

1Ch 21:13 And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let me fall now into the hand of the LORD; for very great are his mercies: but let me not fall into the hand of man.

In this second one, we see that a strait is somewhere between two places. In David's case, it was between his enemies who wanted him dead and God who Israel had sinned against. The strait was IN BETWEEN THEM

Php 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Paul further explains this. His strait was BETWEEN LIFE ON EARTH AND LIFE WITH CHRIST!

Isn't the Bible great?

A Strait is a place between two points. In Matthew 7:14 - Jesus is the strait GATE - He is the point between life and death. Beyond that gate is a narrow way, that none can ever pass off, or turn back from.

Praise the Lord that His word is perfect, and explains itself if we take time to study, to shew thyself approved.

God bless
Luke

The original thread is here ---
http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=53270
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM

Someone replied, "Remember that strait and narrow in the New Testament are completely different words than strait and narrow in the Old Testament."

So, when does "strait" not mean "strait"? When you run to the so-called Hebrew and Greek, and try make "strait" mean something else...

The issue comes down to whether we rely upon the words in English as authoritative, or whether we must rely upon the authority of men to reveal to us the mysteries of the so-called "real" original meaning.

First of all, there is no settled perfect edition of either the Hebrew or the Greek today, so textually it is impossible to know for complete certainty what words actually belong in the original languages. (The modernists know this full well.)

Second of all, the division is between those (modernists) who believe that there is no settled perfect method of translation, nor actual product of translation that is definitive, and those who believe that there is only one: the King James Bible.

The proper meaning is in English, whether one original word is translated differently (e.g. nations, Gentiles or heathen), or whether various original words are translated to one English word (e.g. love).

If one takes the King James Bible as the basis and foundation, and from there studies and shows doctrine properly, surely this would be the truth. There is a growing and developing in understanding, so that people may come to a more perfect knowledge of the truth.

Doctrinal issues should be addressed on this basis. For example, the narrow way is not synonymous with the strait gate. The narrow way comes afterward. Going through the gate is one thing, and being on the narrow way then follows. Going through the gate is a fixed point, being on the narrow way is relative. The issue then is whether or not it is possible to venture off or abandon the narrow way.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM

Oh, the forum is full of correctors, scoffers, lordship proponents and calvinists. It's not a good place for fellowship, because even if you post an encouragement or something, someone else will come along within five minutes and correct you for anything.

They are foolish. I tend not to argue with them. I only responded to Amy because she elevated a dictionary above the word. I invited Salamander to this forum, because he believes the word (but his original post was misguided in that thread).
Old 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM

Luke,

Quote:
I invited Salamander to this forum, because he believes the word (but his original post was misguided in that thread).
Finding other KJVO folks and sending them here is the only thing most other sites are good for. I wrote off all MV forums long ago, no need to waste time on these folks.

Atlas