Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default You better hope your surgeon is not a modern versionist

You Better Hope Your Surgeon Is Not A Modern Versionist

After years of reading my King James Bible and comparing it to the ever changing Evangelical modern versions like the NASB, NIV and NKJV, I have repeatedly noticed how they all continue to make totally unnecessary translational changes that end up creating confusion and discord even in the simple area of identifying the parts of the human body.

The modern versions are so utterly confused at times, that it occurred to me that it would be tragically humorous if your next operation or yearly medical check-up were performed by a doctor or a surgeon who learned his human anatomy from one of the modern bible versions rather than from the true Bible - the Authorized King James Holy Bible.

The following word studies are just a few of the numerous examples of the utter confusion found in today’s so called “New and Improved” Bible versions.

Hands, Body, Arms, Back, Chest or Black Eye?

King James Bible - Zechariah 13:6 "And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds IN THINE HANDS? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends."

Agreeing with the King James Bible reading of "What are these wounds IN THINE HANDS" are the 1917 Jewish Publication Society (JPS) translation, the 1936 Hebrew Publishing Company version, the Judaica Press Tanach, the Wycliffe Bible 1395, Coverdale 1535, Bishops' Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible 1599, Young's literal translation, Darby's translation, the Douay-Rheims, the Italian Diodati, Lamsa's 1936 translation of the Syriac, the KJV 21st Century version, the NKJV 1982, the Third Millenium Bible, and the Spanish Reina Valera -"Y le preguntarán: ¿Qué heridas son estas en tus MANOS? Y él responderá: Con ellas fui herido en casa de mis amigos."

Other translations:

NIV- "What are these wounds ON YOUR BODY? he will answer, 'The wounds I was given at the house of my friends.' " The NIV concordance shows that they have translated this same Hebrew word as "hand" or "hands" 887 times, and as "body" only once.

NASB - "What are these wounds BETWEEN YOUR ARMS?" (Where exactly is "between your arms" located?). The word is clearly "hands" from the Hebrew, same as in the next verse "I will turn mine HAND upon the little ones" and also in Zechariah 2:1, 9; 4:9, 10; 8:4, 9, 13; 11:6; and 14:13 “and they shall lay hold every one on the HAND of his neighbour, and his HAND shall rise up against the HAND of his neighbour.”

The NASB has translated this Hebrew word #3027 yad as "hand”(s) 1163 times, “arms” 5 times, and even as “jaws” once. It is never translated as “arms” in the King James Bible because the word for “arm” is a completely different Hebrew word - (#2220 zeroa).

The RSV, ESV - "And if one asks him, 'What are these wounds ON YOUR BACK?' he will say, 'The wounds I received in the house of my friends.'

Daniel Wallace and fellows NET version reads: “Then someone will ask him, ‘What are these wounds on your CHEST? and he will answer, ‘Some that I received in the house of my friends.” He then footnotes that he has “emended (changed) the Hebrew text which reads “hands” to “chest”.

The NRSV - "And if anyone asks them, "What are these wounds ON YOUR CHEST?" the answer will be "The wounds I received in the house of my friends."

THE MESSAGE - "And if someone says, "And so WHERE DID YOU GET THAT BLACK EYE?' THEY'll say, "I RAN INTO A DOOR at a friend's house.'

New Life Bible - "If someone asks him, 'What are these SORES ON YOUR BACK?' he will answer, 'They are the sores I received in the house of my friends.'

The Living Bible 1981 - "And if someone asks, Then what are these SCARS ON YOUR CHEST AND YOUR BACK? he will say, "I GOT INTO A BRAWL AT THE HOME OF A FRIEND."

More on HANDS

Proverbs 3:27 - “Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine HAND to do it.”

So read the RV, ASV, NKJV, Geneva, Douay, Darby, Young’s and many others, but the NASB, RSV, ESV, Holman and NIV simply omit the word (The NIV concordance tells us they have simply not translated in any way this Hebrew word 72 times) and read: “...When it is in your power to do it. “

Proverbs 11:21 and 16:5. Both these verses have the same expression in them and both have been messed up by many modern versions. In the King James Bible and the Hebrew texts we read: “Though HAND join in HAND, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.”

Agreeing with the the King James Bible’s “hand join in hand” are Wycliffe 1395, Coverdale 1535, Bishops’ Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible 1599, the RV 1881, ASV 1901, Young’s, Darby, Douay, the Judaica Press Tanach, and the Spanish Reina Valera 1909.

However the NKJV says: “Though they join FORCES, the wicked will not go unpunished.” Then the NKJV footnotes that it literally reads “hand to hand”. The NASB, RSV, ESV, NIV and Holman are all basically the same with the NASB reading: “ASSUREDLY the evil man will not go unpunished” and the NIV has: “BE SURE OF THIS: The wicked will not go unpunished.”

I hope your surgeon will be able to fix your “hand” when it needs it rather than trying to find your “assuredly” or your “forces”.

Revelation 19:2 - “For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore....and hath avenged the blood of his servants AT HER HAND.”

Here all Greek texts read the same - tees kiros - literally “her hand”, and so too do Wycliffe 1395, Tyndale 1525, Coverdale 1535, Geneva Bible 1599, Wesley 1755, the RV, ASV, Douay, Darby, Youngs, Lamsa’s, and the Spanish Reina Valera to name but a few.

However the NKJV says: “He has avenged ON HER the blood of His servants shed BY HER.", and the RSV, ESV, NASB and NIV all likewise omit the word “hand” entirely, saying: “He has avenged ON HER the blood of his servants."

There are numerous times in the modern version New Testaments like the NIV, NASB and NKJV where they simply OMIT the word “hand” or “hands” and do not translate it, whereas the King James Bible and the earlier translations did include the word. See for example Acts 7:25, 35 and 11:30.

Sometimes versions like the NIV simply mistranslate it, as in Hebrews 12: 12 where the King James Bible, along with the RV, ASV, NASB, NKJV, RSV, NRSV and ESV, says: “Wherefore lift up the HANDS which hang down, and the feeble knees”. But the NIV and TNIV mistranslate ‘hands’ as ‘arms’ (a completely different word both in Greek and English) saying: “strengthen your feeble ARMS and weak knees. “

At other times the NIV will mistranslate the Greek word ‘hand’ as ‘finger’ (which is a different word both in Greek and English). In the return of the prodigal son as recorded in Luke 15:22 we read: “But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on HIS HAND, and shoes on his feet.” HAND - RV, ASV, NASB, NKJV, RSV, and ESV. But the NIV, TNIV, NRSV and the Message say: “Put a ring on his FINGER...”

The Greek word for ‘finger’ is daktulos, and is found 8 times in the N.T. as in “with the finger of God cast out devils” Luke 11:20 and “may dip the tip of his finger in water” Luke 16:24. It is not the word for “hand”.

Feet, Legs, Body, Yourself or Omit?

Ezekiel 16:25 - God rebukes Israel for her spiritual fornication in worshipping idols and says: “Thou hast built thy high place at every head of the way, and hast made thy beauty to be abhorred, and hast OPENED THY FEET to every one that passed by, and multiplied thy whoredoms.”

The literal Hebrew word used here is “feet” #7272 regel, and so read the Hebrew texts as well as Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishops’s Bible, the Geneva Bible, the RV, ASV, Rotherham’s Emphasized bible 1902, the Hebrew Names Bible, the 1917 Jewish Publication Society translation (JPS), Darby, Youngs’, and the KJV 21st Century version.

However the NKJV, RSV, ESV say: “You OFFERED YOURSELF to everyone who passed by”, the NASB has - “you spread your LEGS” and the NIV reads: “offering your BODY”. In the New Testament, the NIV omits the word “feet” when it appears in the text three times (Acts 7:33; 13:25 and 22:3) and once translates it as “legs” (Rev. 10:1), even though there is an entirely different word for “legs” (skelos) as used in John 19:33 - “they brake not his legs”.

Hopefully, if you go to a podiatrist (a foot doctor, which word comes to us from the Greek word for “foot”) he won’t start operating on your “body”, “legs” or “yourself” when all you need is to have your feet fixed.

THE HEART

In the New Testament we find the Greek word kardia, from which we get our English words “cardiologist” (a heart surgeon) and cardiac arrest (heart attack). The King James Bible always translates this word as “heart” - all 160 times the word occurs.

Usually the NASB and NIV also traslate this word as “heart” but sometimes they just seem to be changing words for the sake of change, rather than accuracy. The NASB correctly has “heart” some 153 times, but 3 times has mistranslated it as “mind” (which is a different word) or even as “spirit”, which again is a different word in both Greek and English. The NIV has “heart” 130 times, “mind” 5 times, and did not translate it at all 7 times according to their own concordance. Many other times the NIV just paraphrases it.

For example: In Luke 1:66 ; 24:38 and Acts 7:23 we read the word “heart” in all these verses, but many modern versions either change “heart” to “mind” (NASB) or they completely paraphrase it (NIV) “wondered about it”.

Luke 1:66 -”And all they that heard them laid them up in their HEARTS, saying, What manner of child shall this be! And the hand of the Lord was with him. “

So read Wycliffe, Tyndale, Bishops, the Geneva Bible, RV, ASV, NKJV, Darby, Young’s, the RSV, ESV and even the Holman Standard.

However the NASB has - “kept them in MIND”; and the NIV paraphrases with - “wondered about it”.

Luke 24:38 - “And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your HEARTS?

So read Wycliffe, Tyndale, Bishops’, Geneva, RV, ASV, NKJV, RSV, ESV, NASB and Holman. But the NIV says: "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your MINDS?”

Acts 7:23 - “And when he was full forty years old, it came into his HEART to visit his brethren the children of Israel.”

So read Wycliffe, Tyndale, Geneva, RV, ASV, NKJV, RSV, ESV, Darby and Young’s to name a few. But the NASB has: “it entered his MIND”, then footnotes that literally it reads “heart”, and the NIV paraphrases with: “HE DECIDED”.

Once again in 1 Thessalonians 2:17 we read: “But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not IN HEART, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire. “

So read Tyndale, Geneva, RV, ASV, NKJV, RSV, ESV, Darby, Young to name just a few. But the NASB has: “in person, not in SPIRIT”, while the NIV paraphrases it as: “in person, not IN THOUGHT”.

I hope the next time you or one of your family members has to see a heart surgeon, the doctor doesn’t start trying to operate on your “spirit” or your “thoughts” instead of your “heart”.

THE EYE

Proverbs 23:6-7 - “Eat thou not the bread of him that hath AN EVIL EYE, neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.”

The literal Hebrew words used here are “an evil eye” and it is correctly translated in the Geneva Bible, the RV, ASV, the 1917 Jewish Pub. Society translation, Darby, Young’s, the KJV 21st Century version and the Spanish Reina Valera - “un ojo malo”. The evil eye indicates ill-will or the desire to inflict harm on another person.

However beginning with the liberal RSV and continuing with the NRSV, ESV, NIV, NASB and NET version we now read “he that is A STINGY PERSON”, while the NKJV says: “Do not eat the bread of A MISER.”

In the New Testament the Lord Jesus lists the things which defile a man and come from within. “Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, AN EVIL EYE, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.” - Mark 7:22.

The literal Greek words are “ophthalmos poneros” from which we get our English word Ophthalmology (branch of medicine dealing with the structure, functions, and diseases of the eye), and Ophthalmologist - an eye doctor.

“AN EVIL EYE” is the reading found in the King James Bible, Geneva, Bishops, Coverdale, Tyndale, Wycliffe, the RV, ASV, Darby, Young’s, NKJV and the Spanish Reina Valera.

However beginning again with the liberal RSV and now in the NRSV, ESV, NIV, NASB, NET versions we read “ENVY” instead of the literal “an evil eye”. The Holman says it is “stinginess”. We see the same type of thing in Matthew 20:15 where Christ says: “Is thine EYE EVIL, because I am good”, where many new versions like the NIV, NASB, ESV have changed this to “Are you envious” or “Do you begrudge”. (See also Deut. 15:9; 28:54, 56; Proverbs 28:22; Mat. 6:23; 20:15 and Luke 11:34)

Let’s hope your next eye doctor (ophthalmologist) is at least able to locate where your eyes are and is not looking for your “envy” or “stinginess”.

THE BOSOM

Luke 16:22 - KJB - “And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's BOSOM: the rich man also died, and was buried.”

John 1:18 - KJB - “No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is IN THE BOSOM of the Father, he hath declared him.” (See also Luke 6:38; Luke 16:23; and John 13:23)

The “bosom” is defined as being “the human breast” or “the enclosing space formed by the breast and arms in embracing”.

Agreeing with the reading of the King James Holy Bible’s “Abraham’s bosom” and “in the bosom of the Father” are the following Bible translations: Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishops’, the Geneva Bible, Tyndale, the RV, ASV, RSV, NASB, NKJV, Darby, Young’s and the Spanish Reina Valera.

However versions like the NIV, NRSV, ESV, NET, Holman Standard and the Message have translated this word as either “side”, “with” or “lap”. The NIV mistranslated this word as “lap” in Luke 6:38; as “next to” in John 13:23, and as “side” in Luke 16:22 and John 1:18. There IS a specific word for the “side” (plura) as used in John 19:34; 20:20, 25 and 27 where the Lord Jesus was pierced in his SIDE with a spear, but it is not the word for “bosom”.

THE LIVER

Lamentations 2:11 - “Mine eyes do fail with tears, my bowels are troubled, my LIVER is poured upon the earth, for the destruction of the daughter of my people.”

The Hebrew word for “liver” is found 13 times in the Old Testament and all 13 times it is translated as “liver” in the King James Bible.

Other Bible translations that also correctly read “liver” are the following: Coverdale, Bishops’, the Geneva Bible, the RV, ASV, Jewish translations of 1917, 1936, Darby, Young’s, Green’s, the KJV 21, and the Spanish Reina Valera - mi higado.

However the NKJV, NRSV and ESV say: “My BILE is poured on the ground”, while versions like the RSV, NET, NASB, Holman Standard and NIV say: “My HEART is poured out on the ground”, then they footnote that the Hebrew texts literally read “the liver”. The Message says “My INSIDES have turned to jelly.”

I certainly hope that if you or one of your loved ones needs to have his liver operated on, that your surgeon is not going to confuse it with his “heart” or perhaps his “bile” or start hacking away on the general body area called your “insides”.

THE NECK

Lamentations 5:5 KJB- “Our NECKS are under persecution: we labour, and have no rest.”

The Hebrew word is #6677 tsavar, and is always translated as “neck” in the King James Bible. Also agreeing with the word “necks” are Coverdale, Bishops’, the Geneva Bible, the RV, ASV, NASB, 1917 JPS, RSV, ESV, Darby, Youngs, and the Spanish Reina Valera.

However the NKJV, NIV, TNIV and the New Living Translation 1996 say: “They pursue at our HEELS”. Then they footnote that the literal Hebrew reads “necks”. Versions like the Holman Standard and the Message simply omit the word from their texts.

You had better hope your next doctor will not be confused by the difference between your neck or your heels.

NECK in the New Testament

The Greek word for neck is trachelos, and is found 7 times in the New Testament. It is always translated as “neck” in the King James Bible and in many others.

In Luke 15:20 and in Acts 20:37 we read the phrase “fell on his NECK, and kissed him”. So too read the Revised Version, the American Standard Version, Wycliffe, Tyndale, Bishops’ bible, Coverdale, the Geneva Bible, Green’s, Darby, Young’s, the NKJV and the Spanish Reina Valera.

However the NIV, NASB, RSV, ESV, NET and Holman have translated this phrase as “EMBRACED him” or “put their ARMS around him”.

In Romans 16:4 we read “Who have for my life laid down THEIR OWN NECKS: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. “ So also read the NKJV, RV, ASV, Darby, Youngs’, Geneva, Tyndale, RSV, NRSV, ESV and NASB. However the NIV says: “They risked their LIVES for me.”

Need it be pointed out that there is a difference between having a pain in your neck and one in your arms, or one in your “embrace” or your “lives”? I hope at your next medical examination your doctor also knows the difference.

LOINS

Loins is not an archaic word. In fact the NKJV, NASB and NIV frequently use the word loins, which means the upper and lower abdominal area and the region about the hips.

The NKJV correctly translates the word "loins" in 15 passages, but in many others it changes the meaning of the word into something very different.

The NKJV correctly contains the phrase "gird up your loins" in 1 Kings 8:19 and 1 Peter 1:13, but in 2 Kings 4:29 where Elisha says to Gehazi "gird up thy loins, and take my staff in thy hand", the NKJV now switches over to "GET YOURSELF READY and take my staff." It also does the same thing in 2 Kings 9:1, Job 38:3; 40:7; and Jeremiah 1:17.

1 Peter 1:13 KJB - “Wherefore gird up THE LOINS OF your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

This is literally what the Greek texts says, as do the King James Bible, Tyndale, Coverdale, Bishops’ bible, the Geneva Bible, the RV, ASV, Darby, Youngs’, Green’s, the NKJV (here) and the KJV 21st Century.

However the RSV, NRSV, ESV, NASB, NIV, NET and Holman all omit the word “loins” and say “prepare your minds for action”, then the NET version tells us in a footnote that the Greek literally says “gird up the loins of your mind”.

One time the NKJV wrongly translates a different word as "loins" when it doesn't refer to loins at all. In Lamentations 3:13 we read in the King James Bible: "He hath caused the arrows of his quiver to enter my REINS." Reins is not an archaic word. Webster's 1999 College Dictionary defines reins as "the seat of feelings or affections". Reins is also the reading of Wycliffe, Coverdale, Bishops’ Bible, the Geneva Bible, the Revised Version, American Standard Version, Douay 1950, Darby, Young's, Geneva Bible, TMB, Hebrew Names Version, and the Jewish translations of 1917, 1936, and the Judaica Press Tanach.

However the NKJV says: "He has caused the arrows of His quiver to pierce my LOINS." Loins and reins are not the same thing in English or in Hebrew - the NKJV is wrong again. The NIV, RSV, NET versions have "heart" while the NASB says "inward parts", the Holman Standard and ESV read “kidneys”; the NRSV has “my vitals” and the Message reads “the stomach”.

LIPS

Proverbs 14:23 KJB- “In all labour there is profit: but TALK OF THE LIPS tendeth only to penury. “

“LIPS” is the reading found in the Geneva Bible, the RV, ASV, Darby, the JPS 1917, the Judaica Press Tanach, Youngs’, Rotherham’s Emphasized bible 1902, the Hebrew Names Bible, Green’s and the Spanish Reina Valera.

However the NKJV says “idle chatter”, but then footnotes that it literally reads “talk of the lips”. The RSV, NASB, ESV, NET, NIV have “mere talk” and the Holman Standard reads: “endless talk” - all omitting the word LIPS.

MOUTH

Proverbs 15:23 KJB - “A man hath joy by the answer of HIS MOUTH: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!”

The literal Hebrew word is MOUTH and so read the Geneva Bible, the JPS 1917, Judaica Press Tanach, the RV, ASV, Youngs’, Darby, Rotherham’s, Douay, the NKJV and the Spanish Reina Valera.

However versions like the RSV, NRSV, ESV, NASB, NIV, Holman Standard and NET versions change this to read something like “an apt reply”, “an answer”(thus omitting the word ‘mouth) or “an appropriate answer”, but then the NET footnotes that the literal Hebrew reading is “an answer of THE MOUTH”.

So the next time you go to see your dentist, pray that he will be able to find where your MOUTH is located and not start looking for your “apt reply” or “answer” when he goes to fix your teeth.

DEATH

Proverbs 14:32 KJB - “The wicked is driven away in his wickedness: but the righteous hath hope in his DEATH.”

The Hebrew Scriptures read DEATH here and so do Wycliffe, Bishops’ bible, the Geneva Bible, RV, ASV, NASB, NIV, ESV, NKJV, the 1917 JPS, Darby, Youngs’, and the Holman Standard.

However there is a fairly large number of modern versions that reject the Hebrew reading and instead adopt the completely ridiculous and doctrinally false reading taken from the so called Greek Septuagint and the Syriac versions. The Greek LXX says: “But he who is trusting in his own holiness is righteous.”, and the Syriac is even worse with: “but HE WHO IS CONFIDENT THAT HE IS WITHOUT SIN IS A RIGHTEOUS MAN. “ Then, most of these perverted bibles have a footnote that tells us this reading comes from the Greek LXX and the Syriac, but that the Hebrew reads “death”.

Today’s English Version 1992 “good people are protected by their INTEGRITY.” New American Bible 1970 -”a good man finds refuge in HIS HONESTY.”

The 1965 Jerusalem Bible, 1985 New Jerusalem Bible, the 1991 Good News Translation and the 1970 New English Bible - “but good people are protected by THEIR INTEGRITY.”

The 1954 Revised Standard Version, 1989 New Revised Standard Version - “The wicked are overthrown by their evildoing, but the righteous find a refuge in THEIR INTEGRITY.” The 2002 Message - “the integrity of good people creates a safe place for living. “

Rotherham’s Emphasized bible 1902 - “but the righteous, seeketh refuge in HIS INTEGRITY.”

Bible in Basic English 1960 - “but the upright man has hope in HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS.”

Lamsa’s 1936 translation of the Syriac - “The wicked is overthrown through his wickedness; but HE WHO IS CONFIDENT THAT HE IS WITHOUT SIN IS A RIGHTEOUS MAN.”!!!!

Have these new versionists never read 1 John 1:8 ? It clearly says: “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”

So perhaps one day you will have occasion to deal with some wacko, modern versionist doctor who instead of pronouncing you DEAD, will declare you to be “without sin” and “protected by your integrity”! ...Good luck with all that ;-)

The modern influx of contradictory and inferior modern bible versions are usually based on the wrong texts for the New Testament which omit some 3000 to 5000 words, depending on which one you happen to buy into. They all often reject the Hebrew readings as being corrupt or lost, and even when they do agree on some underlying texts, they often translate them in such a sloppy, paraphrased manner that they lose the meaning God intented His words to have. NOBODY seriously defends any of them as being the complete, inspired and inerrant words of God. In fact, the belief in the inerrancy of Scripture is at an all time low and getting lower with each new, watered down version to come along to tickle men’s ears.

For more on how fewer and fewer professing Christians believe The Bible is the Inerrant words of God, please see the article here:

http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/NoInerrant.html

Keep in mind that the true Bible which has stood the test of time and its critics - the Authorized King James Holy Bible - is GOD’S WORDS, not man’s. “For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. “ 1 Thessalonians 2:13

The King James Bible is God’s pure and preserved inerrant words given to us in the end times universal language of English. All others are poor imitations at best.

“He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.” Matthew 11:15

Will Kinney
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 09-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Extremely edifying Brother! and has yet again strengthened my Grip on the Ole KJB. Excellent points layed out to add to my collection of reasons against modern versions and to those that hold them.

God Bless
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!

Hi brother. Glad to hear you found the study edifying. It took quite a few hours to do it, but I enjoyed studying God's pure words as found only in His Book, the Authorized King James Holy Bible.

Praise Him for His mercy to us in giving us the Saviour and His precious words of truth.

Accepted in the Beloved,

Will K
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kinney View Post
NASB - "What are these wounds BETWEEN YOUR ARMS?"
That had to be my favorite one.

Quote:
(Where exactly is "between your arms" located?)
I'm not sure, but isn't that easier to read and understand?
Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Grumpy Hillbilly

I have an NASB and an ESV around here somewhere, never read them enough to find those errors. I was stumped with the NASB as soon as I saw the word pornea translated immorality instead of forinication in Matthew 5:32 that was enough for me. They seem to be unwilling to call a spade a spade.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
adelphos

Default Great Article

Excellent as always Bro. Will! I got a chuckle and learned a great deal by reading your article.

Adelphos
Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 AM

Default God's perfect Book - the King James Bible

Hi saints. Thanks for the comments and the encouragement. Praise God that He has given us to some degree a love for His precious words of truth and salvation. If not for His grace and mercy, we would be either indifferent or hateful towards His word.

"This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me."

Psalm 119:50

Accepted in the Beloved,

Will K
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM

I enjoyed reading that, Brother! Can't stop laughing.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM

I use the King James in a church that goes the typical NLT and NIV route,when discussion doctrine we agree on most everything,however ,he has said to me that the later versions were written by scholars that were smarter than you or I.

II Peter 1 v 20 Knowing this first,that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Thanks for the insight.

Here is a question,does the NLT leave out Verses 18 through 20 in the last book of Revelation?
When going through Revelation (our preacher uses NLT) these verses were omitted.
I didn't know if it was the preacher not wanting to step on peoples toes for using different versions, or if they are just not in the NLT.

Last edited by Jeremy; 09-29-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:04 AM

Jeremy Brother

May I say this in all Christian love and with your interests at heart, I would pray diligently on whether or not you should be in a Church that holds to ecumenical compromise (Rick warren for one) and more importantly compromise with the word of God.
I can identify with you as I myself belonged to a Church that practically mirrors what you have written about yours, and may I say that after one preacher quoted 2 lines of scripture and then pursued the sermon with 3 pages of CS Lewis I was completely sickened to my stomach with what had been (and I use the word very lightly) preached.
After that sermon (or should I say Book club reading) I dusted off my feet from that Church and I haven't looked back, don't settle in a Church that has compromised and is heading toward Rome.

(Sorry to steer off on your most excellent thread Brother Will, but I felt I had to say that to Brother Jeremy)