Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:32 AM

Default Another Apocrypha Question...

My question is that the last chapter of Esther is rather short and seems (pardon me for saying this but) kinda pointless. The whole book of Esther never once mentions God and Esther marries a heathen! Extra chapters are part of Esther in the Apocrypha. Can someone please explain to me why (I think but I have no Bible to reference here at work) there were only 6 verses in the last chapter and then it was cut instead of including the rest. By cutting it off it seems to praise Moridicai (sorry, I am sure it is misspelled) instead of God.

Please, do not get me wrong. I am not an Apocrypha supporter. I really am not sure what I believe on the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-30-2008, 08:51 AM
tkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
My question is that the last chapter of Esther is rather short and seems (pardon me for saying this but) kinda pointless. The whole book of Esther never once mentions God and Esther marries a heathen! Extra chapters are part of Esther in the Apocrypha. Can someone please explain to me why (I think but I have no Bible to reference here at work) there were only 6 verses in the last chapter and then it was cut instead of including the rest. By cutting it off it seems to praise Moridicai (sorry, I am sure it is misspelled) instead of God.

Please, do not get me wrong. I am not an Apocrypha supporter. I really am not sure what I believe on the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Esther as you know is an old testament book and was written in Hebrew, The additions to Esther can only be found in Greek. If they were written by the author of Esther than it would have been in Hebrew, from what I see it was an obvious attempt by someone to "fix" the book and make it talk about God directly.

In love,
-Timothy
Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkg View Post
Esther as you know is an old testament book and was written in Hebrew, The additions to Esther can only be found in Greek. If they were written by the author of Esther than it would have been in Hebrew, from what I see it was an obvious attempt by someone to "fix" the book and make it talk about God directly.

In love,
-Timothy
I know they were found in two different languages but what throws me is where did the Greek version come from? Why is the last chapter of Esther so short? Why is God not credited for Him saving his people?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not arguing you. I am not trying to prove the Apocrypha right. I just don't get this part. Thanks for your answer though!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
tkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Thought View Post
I know they were found in two different languages but what throws me is where did the Greek version come from? Why is the last chapter of Esther so short? Why is God not credited for Him saving his people?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not arguing you. I am not trying to prove the Apocrypha right. I just don't get this part. Thanks for your answer though!
Here is what I have found out on the subject.

Why is it in Greek? From what I can tell its a later addition, many claim that it just was not written and that it was put on paper later after being passed down orally. As far as I am concerned, it is as simple as this man decided that it was outrageous for a book in the Holy Bible to not have the word God in it, so they added to it. God is mentioned 50 times in the additions, from what I can tell I think it was an attempt to add to Esther so it would be seen as more canonnical.

Why is it so short? Well, thats a question for whoever wrote it, I doubt we will ever know that answer till were in Heaven. But again, I believe they just wanted to stick God in there and be done. But I repeat myself.

As for God not being credited, well, I believe God just chose to hide His face. Reading it you understood that God played a role in it, didnt you? So be joyous that God works in our lives even if we do not directly recognize it or claim it.

Just my thoughts.

In Love
-Timothy
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkg View Post
Here is what I have found out on the subject.

Why is it in Greek? From what I can tell its a later addition, many claim that it just was not written and that it was put on paper later after being passed down orally. As far as I am concerned, it is as simple as this man decided that it was outrageous for a book in the Holy Bible to not have the word God in it, so they added to it. God is mentioned 50 times in the additions, from what I can tell I think it was an attempt to add to Esther so it would be seen as more canonnical.

Why is it so short? Well, thats a question for whoever wrote it, I doubt we will ever know that answer till were in Heaven. But again, I believe they just wanted to stick God in there and be done. But I repeat myself.

As for God not being credited, well, I believe God just chose to hide His face. Reading it you understood that God played a role in it, didnt you? So be joyous that God works in our lives even if we do not directly recognize it or claim it.

Just my thoughts.

In Love
-Timothy
Thanks! Good answers!
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 AM

God is in fact mentioned in Esther. Unfortunatley, most people tend to miss Him throughout the entire text of the book.
Since it is in the Canon, it is inspired (first clue). The name of God need not be mentioned, because the purpose of the book was the show the Sovereignty of God. We should be able to see Him working in the hearts and minds of His people. Does anyone actually think that just the works of man were capable of bring the people through the trial they were about to go through? God's fingerprints are all through the book of Esther.
Just curious why people don't bring this up with the Song of Solomon.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
TimV

Quote:
Why is God not credited for Him saving his people?
I would be curious as to how you would go about positing anything other than a reference to God here:
Quote:
Est 4:14 For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"
As to marrying a heathen, something isn't wrong until God says it's wrong. So, Abraham was fine in marrying his half sister, but under Moses he would have been wrong. David was fine in marrying more than one person, but under Christ he would have been at the very least disqualified for leadership. And the same with Ester.