Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

View Poll Results: should Christians confess their sins?
yes 18 78.26%
yes
18 78.26%
no 2 8.70%
no
2 8.70%
other please comment 3 13.04%
other please comment
3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Forrest,

since I started this thread I have prayerfully considered things that you shared and your book Putting away childish things, I must say they have helped me to walk more in Grace and I am more grateful for what Christ has done for me.

What do you think of this verse? I place the Book of James as transitional from Church Age to Kingdom age spanning the Great Tribulation. there is lots for application in James but little I would form Major Doctrine on.

James 5:16
Confess [your] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
I'm so grateful the Lord Jesus continues to draw us closer to Himself, Brother Chette. And I'm glad the resource has encouraged your heart.

As far as James, I’m not sure about it being a transitional book from the Church Age to the Kingdom Age spanning the Great Tribulation. I’m not saying you’re wrong or that I disagree with you here, I just do not know. I do know that James specifically wrote “…to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad…” but agree there are certainly some relevant applications for us today. All scripture is profitable, we know that. Personally, these have been some difficult verses for me to understand.

James 5:14-15 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

What doctrine is this? I don’t see James 5:14-15 for us today, but cannot explain or expound on them. Notice the words “save the sick” not heal the sick. Save from or to what? And “if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.” Does this mean that the elders can pray and anoint us with oil in the name of the Lord and our sins will be forgiven?

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

As far as James 5:16, “healed” from what? Is this some type of physical illness or is it a spiritual trespass? Or is it perhaps both? Notice “healed” is conditional to two things. “Confess your faults one to another” and “pray one for another”. Also notice that the prayer which availeth much is to be fervent and comes from a righteous man.

I don’t know… Perhaps you and/or others have some insight on this book.