General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha all,

From 1958 - 1968 I used the Old Scofield and Thompson (once in a while).

From 1968 - 1984 I used three Large Print King James Bibles (1 Nelson & 2 Collins - they fell apart ) - no notes, no references, just the Holy words of God.

From 1984 up to the present day both my wife and I have used two identical Cambridge Large Print King James Bibles - no notes, no references, just the Holy words of God. (By the way - In 24 years, they have not fallen apart! }

I will use tracts and other literature to witness to others - however I limit myself to the King James Text and will not use any other English Bible in my witness. {No matter what our motive or intentions - The end does not justify the means.}
To bad that Cambridge can't print decent Bibles anymore. I just bought their new CAMEO edition and it's total garbage. My next Bible is going to be a Lewis Bible.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-29-2008, 03:18 AM

Default Here I am---Send it to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
To bad that Cambridge can't print decent Bibles anymore. I just bought their new CAMEO edition and it's total garbage. My next Bible is going to be a Lewis Bible.

Peace and Love,
Stephen

Say What ? "total garbage"..? I honestly don't think anyone has said that before about a Cambridge Bible... If there was a true defect from Cambridge, then write them a letter. The U.S.A. Distribution is thru Baker Book House. Did you tell them about your feelings ?

They first printed a Bible in about 1591--- and have been doing a good job since then. { No, I don't own stock in Cambridge Press} What/why/how was wrong with it ?

If you don't like that Cambridge Cameo, send it up here! Our book store consists of a rack or two of the paperback novels and coloring books at the grocery store.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:49 AM

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogu...sbn=0521508800This is the one I recently purchased and quality is not at all an issue.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post
Say What ? "total garbage"..? I honestly don't think anyone has said that before about a Cambridge Bible... If there was a true defect from Cambridge, then write them a letter. The U.S.A. Distribution is thru Baker Book House. Did you tell them about your feelings ?

They first printed a Bible in about 1591--- and have been doing a good job since then. { No, I don't own stock in Cambridge Press} What/why/how was wrong with it ?

If you don't like that Cambridge Cameo, send it up here! Our book store consists of a rack or two of the paperback novels and coloring books at the grocery store.
I've had one 160 dollar goatskin reference edition come apart (well it was just starting to, and they did send me a replacement that is doing well). This CAMEO is showing signs of shotty workmanship in multiple places, but it is only a 50 dollar Bible so I'm not to suprised. Now, my old white leather text-only Cambridge is holding together quite well after much use. So it's a toss up with Cambridge. I've heard from many sources that confirm my experiences that Cambridge doesn't print Bibles of the quality that they used to be known for. The paper they use is different (it doesn't have the cambridge smell anymore), the french morocco leather is no longer soft, and the sewing is not given the attention it should get. On my CAMEO the leather lining on the inside is coming off. Anywho, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to Bibles, so perhaps some of these things wouldn't bother others, but they drive me kookoo for cocoa puffs. I'd just love to have one Bible that is built like the Bibles of old. Hopefully, what I've heard about Lewis Bibles will prove true.

Here's a good site for Bible connoisseurs This guy isn't a Bible believer, but he does know a good Bible when he sees one.

http://www.bibledesignblog.com

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Hello folks, this is my first post here, but I thought I would put in my two cents.

I have a Thompson Chain, KJV of course. But don't really care for the print layout.

Then just lately I found Schofield lll KJV, it has notes of course, and is similar to an Open Bible. In that it has a lot of interesting information throughout, in the form of small text boxes. And the print layout, is much better than the Thompson.

My only regret is that it is bonded leather, couldn't find one in real leather. But they say its probably good for 10 years, if so, I'm not sure I am good for much longer than that.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 AM

Welcome to the forums Samuel. It's good to have you. By the way, you never know with a bonded leather Bible, how long they'll last. If its pages are sewn you just might make 10 years, if not, then probably not. My Nelson is bonded leather and it's about 5 years old and is holding up still.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks stephanos.

The pages are sewn in, so other than having a genuine leather cover, its probably the same in other construction as the leather.

I still have my Dad's old 67 Schofield, the pages are starting to come loose, and the leather is splitting in the corners. You also have to be very careful of how you turn the pages, or they will tear. That makes it going on 42 years, and it was well used. I keep it laying around for my quick pickup Bible, so its still being used somewhat.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Thanks stephanos.

The pages are sewn in, so other than having a genuine leather cover, its probably the same in other construction as the leather.

I still have my Dad's old 67 Schofield, the pages are starting to come loose, and the leather is splitting in the corners. You also have to be very careful of how you turn the pages, or they will tear. That makes it going on 42 years, and it was well used. I keep it laying around for my quick pickup Bible, so its still being used somewhat.
Well, if you fill that Bible up with notes that you want to keep you can always have it rebound. I'd recommend Mechling at: http://www.mechlingbooks.com/bible.html. But these guys do good work so expect to pay for it. Then again, you could just buy the Limited Edition goatskin TCR Bible for less than a good rebind.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanos View Post
Well, if you fill that Bible up with notes that you want to keep you can always have it rebound. I'd recommend Mechling at: http://www.mechlingbooks.com/bible.html. But these guys do good work so expect to pay for it. Then again, you could just buy the Limited Edition goatskin TCR Bible for less than a good rebind.
But you've gotta be careful, brother. If you've made notes in the inner margins, they will be lost, at least partially, in even the best job of rebinding. Rebinding gobbles up part of the pages.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Guys,

I use a Scofield Bible for the most part. I do have a Thopmson Chain, Ryrie Study Bible, Rice Refeance Bible & a Criswell Study Bible. All AV's. I seem to like the Scofield the best and I use it 98% of the time.

The others do have some helpful notes an all. The Rice Refeance Bible is worthless and never get one. It has been out of print for years. if you have ever used one you know why. The Criswell Study Bible is also out of print. It is ok, I guess it just did not sell well enough to keep printing it.

Atlas