Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Another "nugget" from the Book

When studying the book of Hebrews rightly divided, we are forced to take notice of certain passages that contain doctrine aimed at those in the tribulation period. Some of these passages are Hebrews 3:6,14 and 6:1-6, etc.

NOTE: If you're not with me thus far, don't bother reading the rest - it's not for the novice of biblical interpretation.

When studying these passages, we notice God (in His King James Bible) uses certain words to convey His truth to us. Words that we can connect throughout our Bible and dig deeper into other passages. A few to notice in Hebrews are patience, endure, the end, if..., hold fast, stedfast, and others.

Such is the case in Hebrews 10:35-39.
35. Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
36. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
37. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
38. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
Here are several "key words" which will point us to applying its doctrine to the tribulation. (I don't have time to explain each one, but I trust if you're still reading, that it's not beyond your ability to "study out.")

The "key word" that I'd like to draw your attention to is the word "back." "Drawing back" is something that can be done by anyone in the tribulation. It is therefore a doctrinal reference to someone (a believer/disciple) in the trib. receiving the "mark of the beast." The end of their work is said to be "perdition" (run the references if you need to).

Read the passage again and consider the doctrinal point of view of someone in the tribulation.

Now, for the nugget!

When Jesus Christ ministered on earth, He had a problem with believers/disciples taking off on Him.
From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
This may not mean much to you, until you consider where the verse is found in your King James Bible (the original Greek will never be of help here). When you find the verse, you will find "the nuggett!"
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
When studying the book of Hebrews rightly divided, we are forced to take notice of certain passages that contain doctrine aimed at those in the tribulation period. Some of these passages are Hebrews 3:6,14 and 6:1-6, etc.

NOTE: If you're not with me thus far, don't bother reading the rest - it's not for the novice of biblical interpretation.

When studying these passages, we notice God (in His King James Bible) uses certain words to convey His truth to us. Words that we can connect throughout our Bible and dig deeper into other passages. A few to notice in Hebrews are patience, endure, the end, if..., hold fast, stedfast, and others.

Such is the case in Hebrews 10:35-39.
35. Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
36. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
37. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
38. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
39. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.
Here are several "key words" which will point us to applying its doctrine to the tribulation. (I don't have time to explain each one, but I trust if you're still reading, that it's not beyond your ability to "study out.")

The "key word" that I'd like to draw your attention to is the word "back." "Drawing back" is something that can be done by anyone in the tribulation. It is therefore a doctrinal reference to someone (a believer/disciple) in the trib. receiving the "mark of the beast." The end of their work is said to be "perdition" (run the references if you need to).

Read the passage again and consider the doctrinal point of view of someone in the tribulation.

Now, for the nugget!

When Jesus Christ ministered on earth, He had a problem with believers/disciples taking off on Him.
From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
This may not mean much to you, until you consider where the verse is found in your King James Bible (the original Greek will never be of help here). When you find the verse, you will find "the nuggett!"
____

pbiwolski,

Well done! Another nugget:

lamb-the lamb-your lamb progression

Exodus Chapter 12 provides a typology of "the Lamb of God" during the night when every firstborn of Egypt would die. Notice the "progression" here preserved in the King James Bible

- verse 3- "...In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man A LAMB.....A Lamb(emphasis mine) for an house." = one from many, a lamb(the necessity of a sacrifice for sin).

" Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of A LAMB(emphasis mine)without blemish and without spot..." 1 Peter 1:18-19

- verse 4- "And if the household be too little for THE LAMB(emphasis mine)....." = more particular or discriminating , it is no longer "a" lamb, one from many, but is now "the" lamb.

" And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before THE LAMB(emphasis mine), having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints....Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is THE LAMB(emphasis mine) that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing". Rev. 5:8,12

- verse 5. "YOUR LAMB(emphasis mine) shall be without blemish...." =no longer just "a" lamb, nor just "the" lamb, but also "your" lamb.

Thus, the King James Bible presents a great spiritual truth the LORD would have us know:

The Lord Jesus Christ is not just "a" Savior , one from many, He is "the" Saviour(KJB also spells as Saviour vs. Savior in other "bibles")

And although He is "the" Saviour, redemption must be appropriated by faith- he becomes "your" Saviour.

Words do matter! I am seeing this more and more in our AV -Gen . 22:8 being the most obvious example-"..God will provide himself(my emphasis) a lamb for..."=God will provide the lamb and be the lamb! Look at the NIV- both of these great spiritual truths are lost.

In Christ,
John Whalen
Old 10-18-2008, 10:09 AM

I once heard that passage preached using those three "lamb" designations as the three points to the sermon, emphasizing the progression you mention.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:16 PM

"Saw...took"-lost and saved by a look

(bold is my emphasis)

"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman SAW(emphasis mine) that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she TOOK(emphasis mine) of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat". Genesis 3:4-6

" When I SAW(emphasis mine) among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and TOOK(emphasis mine) them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it. " Joshua 7:21-22

"And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he SAW(emphasis mine) saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite? And David sent messengers, and TOOK(emphasis mine)took her; and she came in unto him, and he lay with her; for she was purified from her uncleanness: and she returned unto her house." 2 Samuel 11:2-4

And thus, the pattern: Saw-Took

"But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death." James 1:14-15

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 1 John 2:16

Notice however:

"And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died... And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set ! it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he LOOKETH(emphasis mine) looketh upon it, shall live.And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he BEHELD(emphasis mine)beheld the serpent of brass, he lived." Numbers 21:6, 8,9

"LOOK(emphasis mine) unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else." Isaiah 45:22

"LOOKING(emphasis mine) unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God" Hebrews 12:2.

As mankind became lost, "dead " by a look, so is mankind saved, "alive" by a look to "...the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ"(Titus 2:13)- for "BEHOLD(emphasis mine) the Lamb of God."(John 1:29,36)

In Christ,

John M. Whalen
Old 10-20-2008, 08:13 PM

(bold/underline is emphasis mine)

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our
learning
, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might
have hope." Romans 15:4

During the Lord Jesus Christ's time, it was customary, during "teaching environments", that only the teachers would be given the honour of sitting.

Please read : Matthew 13:1-2,24:3,26:55; Mark 2:6,4:1,9:35,12:41,13:3;
Luke 4:20,5:3,5:17;John 8:2; Acts 13:14-15, 16:13

"The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side. And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore." Matthew 13:1-2

"And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" Mt. 24:3

"In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me." Mt. 26:55

"But there was certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,..." Mark 2:6

"And he began again to teach by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land." Mark 4:1

"And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all." Mark 9:35

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much." Mark 12:41

"And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately,..." Mark 13:3

'And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him." Luke 4:20

"And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship." Luke 5:3

"And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them." Luke 5:17

"And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them." John 8:2

"But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down.And after the reading of the law and the prophets the rulers of the synagogue sent unto them, saying, Ye men and brethren, if ye have any word of exhortation for the people, say on." Acts 13:14-15

"And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither." Acts 16:13

And also notice in Matthew chapter 5, tradtionally referred to as "The Sermon on the Mount", in which "Hollywood" typically portrays the Lord Jesus Christ as standing, He is actually sitting down, teaching:

"And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed are..................................."

Now, notice:

"And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers." Luke 2:46-47

And notice His age:

"And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast." Luke 2:42

Truly is the Saviour "Wonderful"(Isaiah 9:6), truly is He "astonishing"(Mt. 7:28,29, 13:54, 22:33; Mark 1:22, 6:2,10:24; Luke 2:46, 4:32), and truly is He "Great", as it is written:

"Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is
unsearchable
." Psalms 145:3

In Christ and with Christ,
John M. Whalen
Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
I like that, nice! Thanks.

Luke 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.