Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Default What's in a glance?

Here's an interesting article from an atheist. First, an excerpt:
Whenever we entered a territory worked by missionaries, we had to acknowledge that something changed in the faces of the people we passed and spoke to: something in their eyes,...
Christ said, "The light of the body is the eye:..."

How intriguing it is for this atheist to come so close and "eye"-witness the results of what he terms "Christianity". He even acknowledges that a better future for the African continent is NOT human aid, but liberation (by the Lord Jesus Christ).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5400568.ece
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
Here's an interesting article from an atheist. First, an excerpt:
Whenever we entered a territory worked by missionaries, we had to acknowledge that something changed in the faces of the people we passed and spoke to: something in their eyes,...
Christ said, "The light of the body is the eye:..."

How intriguing it is for this atheist to come so close and "eye"-witness the results of what he terms "Christianity". He even acknowledges that a better future for the African continent is NOT human aid, but liberation (by the Lord Jesus Christ).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle5400568.ece
Very true isn't it? I wonder how a person can see the evidences of changed lives wrought by faith in Christ and still reject Him.

Quote:
The professed atheist wrote in his above referenced article: Faith does more than support the missionary; it is also transferred to his flock. This is the effect that matters so immensely, and which I cannot help observing.
Praying God will "open" his eyes too.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Bro. Parrish

http://av1611.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Brother pbiwolski baited the subject a little better for me.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Bro. Parrish

I know he got me too...
Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Very true isn't it? I wonder how a person can see the evidences of changed lives wrought by faith in Christ and still reject Him.
The elders, scribes and Pharisees, and many, many people actually saw, witnessed the miracles of Jesus Christ's ministry, but still rejected Him. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9)

That's how.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Sorry, all, I must've missed it the first time around!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
The elders, scribes and Pharisees, and many, many people actually saw, witnessed the miracles of Jesus Christ's ministry, but still rejected Him. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9)

That's how.
Sister Laura (I believe), that's right. I also thought about this verse:
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
I guess since we are on the side of faith in Christ, it's puzzling and confusing why others will not believe. It is to me at least. Through the years I've witnessed to people who, after hearing the unfeigned word of truth, still reject it. It reminds me of:
Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Sister Laura (I believe), that's right. I also thought about this verse:
2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
I guess since we are on the side of faith in Christ, it's puzzling and confusing why others will not believe. It is to me at least. Through the years I've witnessed to people who, after hearing the unfeigned word of truth, still reject it. It reminds me of:
Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
Actually, Here Am I would be Lorelei, brother.

kittn1 is Laura........ and I don't admit that to just anybody, y'know!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn1 View Post
Actually, Here Am I would be Lorelei, brother.

kittn1 is Laura........ and I don't admit that to just anybody, y'know!
But my name is pronounced 'Laura - lie', so Brother Forrest was close...

...back on topic: I had heard/knew about Jesus for years, and yet wasn't interested in being 'born again'...I figured I could get to Heaven just by being more 'good' than 'bad'.

It wasn't until the Lord worked on me, through witnessing by a good friend, and by an illness, that I realized that I couldn't do it all on my own, and I needed Him.

I was 40 at the time...and wasted all those years 'in vanity and pride, caring not my Lord was crucified...'

Nope, I wouldn't listen, either.