Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Default I found it PCE

Well my Quest is over, my mission is complete, at least one part of it. At that little out of the way Bible book store, where I found my Old Scofield. There was a Pure Cambridge, who would have thought it ?!.

I checked it with Bibleprotector’s long list, and not one dot, title, or comma was different. It has no foot notes, no cross references, no concordance, no maps, just pure Cambridge Bible. Black letter text, French Morocco bound leather, and I won’t say what I paid for it, more than 50 but less than 100. It does however have The Epistle Dedicatory page from the translators, to King James in the front.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
HowlerMonkey

Haywood Rd?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM

The same!.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 PM
HowlerMonkey

I think I held the Bible you bought about a week ago. I was there looking at Cambridge Bibles, what a small world!

Was yours the only one of it's kind there?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Yes, the others were smaller, or really expensive. And all had references, and concordances, except the one I got.

They also had a Geneva Bible, and a real 1611 KJV. I gave it to my son to read, and he said look they spelled Jesus with a V. I had to tell him in Gothic it was a U, that U was V, and V was U. Confusing

Anyway, I only live about a half mile down Haywood Rd. from there.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:08 PM
HowlerMonkey

Yours was the one in the older Cambridge slipcase box with the King's College picture on it, model KJV-83 on the gold label?

If so there were two there last week and I bought the other one.

Cool!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Well by saying one of a kind, I should have said not the only one!. No I looked at the one in the Kings box, but it had some little blemishes on the leather I did not like. There was another, in a blue cross box (later box).

The difference in the number KJ653: T, instead of KJV-83. Burgundy instead of black, which I assume yours must be? (well the one in the Kings box was burgundy also). Other than that, exactly the same Bible (must be a little later printing).
Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 PM
HowlerMonkey

That is such a neat store! Where else could you hope to find that many Cambridge Bibles in one place. They even have a small selection of TBS Bibles and some neat Oxfords that you just can't find anymore. I got a little Oxford Brevier Blackface there a few months ago that I love.

My first Cambridge was a Concord Reference in the blue cross box, but from the time that Cambridge Bibles were still printed in the UK (as I assume yours was). The new Cambridge Bibles are printed in some third world country and are junk compared to the older Cambridge stuff.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Yes right on the fly-leaf, it says it was printed in jolly olde England. I have a Scofield lll, which has the Oxford 1769 text, got it at one of the regular Bible stores (recently) down on the river. It is printed in Korea!. I got an Old Scofield from the little place up the street, its printed in the USA by Oxford Press, which is OK. Because I have an old (original) 1967 Scofield, that belong to my dad, also printed in the USA, so that is normal. Its so old it is now falling apart, the pages will tear when you turn them, if you are not real careful.

The only problem with the little book store up the way is, it does not give deals. But I can live with that since he is independent, how otherwise would he stay in business?. My son wondered about that in the first place?. They used to have a half price Bible sale once a year, I don't know if they still do or not. But I bet it only applied to certain Bibles, not to the premium ones.

I just wonder, do you know the story behind the little book store?.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:39 PM
HowlerMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post

I just wonder, do you know the story behind the little book store?.
I know Dr. and Mrs. Doom who opened it some years ago, but I don't think I know "the story." Can't wait to hear it!