General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM

I Corinthians 12-14 is a discourse on REFUTING tongues. "whether there be tongues, they shall cease"(I cor 13:8). If you are studying the Bible dispensationally, you will understand that these gifts were for the apostles as signs to the Jews, and have ceased with the closing of the canon of scripture, "that which is perfect"(I Cor 13:10).
"A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign" (Mat 16:14)
If we have these signs still, what of snake handlers and drinking poison?
"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils, they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing , it shall not hurt them" (Mark 16:17-18).
Where are the poison drinkers today?
This issue opens up a can o' worms and suggests the canon of scripture is open to change. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, which was ONCE delivered unto the saints. Special revelation(the Bible) is complete and all sufficient(II Pet 1:3). The only sign we have is the sign of the prophet Jonah typified by Christs death, burial, and resurrection as revealed in the scriptures(I Cor 15:3-4). Any other so called revelation is deification of self.