Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Who was Peter talking to? why was he telling them to believe and be baptised in Jesus name? and who is it that beleives?
Quote:
Who was peter talking to?
Acts 2:5-10 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,"

I think you could safely say that Peter was talking to people from a great many nations, Jews and proselytes. Not only Jews and proselytes, but men simply dwelling there:

Acts 2:14 "But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:"

Quote:
Why was he telling them to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus?
1 Corinthians 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." (To me this shows that the baptism is a symbol of something that happens within a person)

Romans 6:3 "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?"

Paul was baptised:

Acts 22:16 "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord."

Paul baptised, though this was not the work he was given by the Lord:

1 Corinthians 1:13-17 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. (This also hints that Paul is trying to make it clear that we are baptised in Christ Jesus' name.)

Concerning Jesus name:

I guess that one is simple. Because Jesus Christ is our Father's only begotten Son whom God raised from the dead in the flesh. Why would we be baptised in any other name when it is by Christ Jesus that we must be saved.

Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

I figured most of what I just wrote would be obvious to any student of the Scriptures, so I have to ask, what was the point in your questioning my response to Josh's post?

A brother in Christ Jesus,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 AM

My Point is you have to rightly divide the scriptures to understand why Peter tells them to repent. Repentance is not a requirement of salvation in our current church age it is a result of it. Belief is the requirement for salvation today.

those whom Peter spoke were Jews and Proselytes to Judaim.

what Gospel is Peter teaching? do you see him mention the Blood of Christ for the forgvieness of sins or does he say "Repent and be baptised in the name of Jesus?"

Peter's preaching the same Gospel as John the Baptist taught and the one Jesus taught him, the eleven and the 70, Repent and be baptized. It is called in the Gospels the Gospel of the Kingdom. this is not the Gospel of Grace. the Gospel of the Kingdom requires works for salvation. that is why Repentance comes first then baptism to show they beleive that Jesus is the Messiah.

Now your quoting verses from our Bible that do not support Acts 2 You have a problem, the Gospel of Grace has not been revealed yet. But Acts 2 is supported by the gospels of Matthew Mark Luke and parts of John.

Peter new nothing of ONE BODY, ONE SPIRIT, ONE BAPTISM that was a mystery revealed to Paul. Peter never says anything close to that until after Paul had revealed it to him. IN Acts 2 Paul isn't even saved yet.

He tells them to be baptized in the name of Jesus because they believe in God, and the Holy Ghost, they just don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah who came to set up the Kingdom they must submit to Jesus as Lord or no salvation. Baptism was the way before Christ and shortly after to show submission, and it was the way up until Acts chapter 8 when the first Gentile Proselyte gets saved under grace. Who happened to be a Hamite who was a servant of servants to a Hamite Queen.

Again Repentance is not a requirement for salvation it is an immediate result of Salvation even though not anyman has fully repented of all his sins the moment he beleives. some are still struggling with some of them. and you can look to yourself for proof of that.

in Acts 10 Peter is cut short in his message the Gentiles already were saved and filled with the Holy Ghost. you will notice what he taught in Acts Ten is not the exact same as he taught in Acts 2. "that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins", you didn't see that in Chapter 2 of Acts.

The students of Scriptures you are speaking of are the ones who don't rightly divide the word of truth, they blend all the gospels to make them all the Gospel of Grace (by the way ther are at least 3 different gospels taught in the NT), and these students have the Old Testament saints looking forward in time to a cross that was a mystery, 1Cor 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory, no one in the Old Testament knew about the cross.

so again I ask these questions to get you to rightly divide which you failed to do, and you blended all the scripture together having Peter preaching a mystery he knew nothing about, and you have Peter praching the gospel of Grace when in fact he was preaching the gospel of the Kingdom.

Good job.

Last edited by chette777; 07-18-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 AM

By the way the one body we all are baptized into has not been revealed yet either. it may be present but it is not yet revealed. you wont see it revealed until Acts 9.

And are you quoting Acts 22:16 to show baptismal salvation? that would need you again to rightly divide so you can see why Paul is commanded that and not you or I. no one is washed of their sins through water Baptism. my sins are washed away by the Blood of Jesus Christ. and that is not why Peter tells them in Acts 2 to be baptized either.

Rightly divide or you will wrongly provide scripture support for false doctrines and teachings.

you have something against those who rightly divide and you refuse to do it unless it suits you (we already showed you that). I am not sure if you are echoing feelings of a teacher or mentor or if a person who rightly divids hurt your feelings or turst. Or if it is that you don't like some Theologian who taught it. But you should obey God and show yourself a workman who needeth not be ashamed rightly dividiing the word of truth.

becasue your answer above is shameful display of one who does not rightly divide and ends up putting a whole lot of words in Peters mouth he never spoke or had any meaning towards.

Last edited by chette777; 07-18-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Repentance is indeed a requirment for salvation, as it is defined in 2 Timothy 2:25. As many other words, repentance can have several definitions, the repentance we see in this passage is part of salvation. The repentance you speak of, a sorrow and hatred for/giving up sin is usually something that follows salvation. Different meanings in different areas. No repenting from rejecting the Gospel to believing it, no salvation.

In Christ,

Josh
Old 07-18-2008, 09:12 AM

that verse has nothing to do with Acts 2. and again if youforse it into Acts 2 youare putting words into Peters mouth he never intended.

I do Beleive repentance has it's place. but not as a work required to get salvation. thought one may turn from non belief to belief and that would be a form of repentance but that is the convincing work of the Holy Ghost to the believer. Not the believers work. and that is what it says in 2Tim2:25 notice it is God who preadventures to give them repentance not a man repenting.

Last edited by chette777; 07-18-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:27 AM

I have not said anything about Peter, and was not talking about him in any sense. Just defining repentance as it is defined for the saving of the soul: "the acknowledging of the truth".

In Christ,

Josh
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Josh

keep to the topic. weare discussing Act 2 and peters' instructions to repent.

and 2Tim2:25 does not teach or support a man must repent before he is saved.

you quote 2Tim2:15 in your signature but youfailed to obey it. the context is about Christians leaders who teach those who oppose that perhaps God will grant them repentance for those who have fallen into the trap of the Devil it has nothting to do with repentance for Salvation of the soul

Last edited by chette777; 07-18-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Correction, you are now talking about Peter. When I posted this topic was about what repentance means in salvation, to which I pointed out the Biblical definition. That is all I need do. Whosoever will accept it will, and whosoever will not, will not. I simply answered the queston that was presented.

In Christ,

Josh
Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Sorry I was refering to my questioning of Stephanos explanation of repentance of Acts 2 and that is the reference of my statment and questions.

As far as repentance being a requirement of Salvation. sorry it is not, for your salvtion is through Grace by faith alone, not of repentance(works), lest you should boast.

If you will rightly divide as your signature says you will know that 2Tim 2:25 does not support repentance as a requirement for salvation. and that there can not be any works of a mans own righteousness for his salvation.

that is why I asked the questions that Stephenos never sought answer for himself. they weren't for me to get answers but for him to get a clear anwer to what Peter was saying and why. I had to spoon feed him the answers.

by the way Josh, romans 10:9, 10 does not support repentence for salvation either. that simply states that if a man believes let him confess with is mouth what has taken place in his heart.

By the way Josh, Romans 10:9, 10 does not teach or support repentacne for salvation either

Repentance is not required for Salvation. for the believers repentence is a work that accompanies his salvation.

As far as turning to God for salvation and not in ones own works. that repentance is a work of God via the Holy Ghost.

that is why Paul was instructing Timothy to teach the turth if perhaps God might give them repentance.

When I turned to Christ from a life of drugs, alchohol and self will. that was God granting me repentence. I struggled for four months before I was free from drugs and alcohol and cigarettes. my repentance of drugs was not immediate but my turnig to Christ was.

I only turned to Christ because a man of God was faithful to teach the truth and I who had opposed truth received repentance from the Lord to trust in Christ via the Holy Ghost. But I was saved before I repeneted of any sin.

there is a work of the Holy Ghost in your Life and a work you do. but no work you do will give you salvation. that work is all of God by the convinceing power of the Holy Ghost of Sin, Judgement and Righteousness when we are convinced to beleive that in Christ all that had been settled onthe cross we simply beleive on his finished work.

Last edited by chette777; 07-18-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM

Are you a Calvinist Brother? Sorry I'm not trying to be mean or offensive, but Calvinism is not right, just wanting to make sure that's not what I'm dealing with here.

If you read what I said, you will find that repentance, in the proper definition for the particular issue is required. For without choosing to accept the Gospel you cannot be saved. The Holy Ghost will show you the truth and convict you, but by no means will God save you without you accepting His truth. He gave man a free will. Once enlightened by the Truth we can A: reject it and continue to live lost, or B: accept God's free gift, this, the changing of mindset to believing and accepting salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone is not a work, just an acceptance.

In Christ,

Josh