Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Lordship Salvation & Matthew 7

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This is the favourite verse of most Lordship Salvationists. I have no idea why!

This verse totally refutes Lordship salvation. The people there acknowledge Jesus is Lord. They probably spent their life in obedience to the Bible, and being good people, but Jesus said "I never knew you". Why? Because they didn't trust him for salvation. They heard the Lordship gospel and believed they had to maintain salvation by works. The will of God regarding salvation is revealed in John

Joh 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

I'm not going to take that chance. I am not going to stand before God and say that I am a "swell guy", and I did a good job of obeying Him. He is the creator of the universe! What could I possibly do to impress God. I tell you what I can do. One thing. Accept His Son. Accepting His Son, and He will love me for eternity! Rejecting, or trying to add anything to His Son's work, and He will hate me for eternity with righteous hatred.

Lordship Salvation is a wicked doctrine. I am ashamed I was involved in it. My participation stemmed from the fact that I wanted to win souls, and Ray Comfort's literature seemed quite good in teaching me how to. However, his false gospel reached into my heart, and made me doubt salvation deeply. Thank God I have rejected that and accept Christ as my only all in all.

God bless
Luke