General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post
BibleStudent:--- Hmmmm---Well I looked at the first 2 examples that you listed and I don't see any wrong with them. 1Cor 11:1, and Eph. 5:1---Don't know who this Reese guy is , but he might be one of the types of people that hates the idea of a any Bible with study helps in it.

The Thread Starter asked for suggestions for a Study Bible. I'm assuming that he already has a Text (or Pew) Bible. The Study helps are there to STUDY with such as the Cyclpedic Index up front and the several other things that I listed above. Very helpful if you are preparing a Sunday School or Vacation Bible Bible School message, or trying to find out why Paul wrote different letters to different Churches,etc..

If there was something "wrong" or "wacky" such as the Pentecostal "Full-Life" or the "Dakes"...then I would not have recommended it.

BTW---I do NOT own any stock in Thomas Nelson company---
OOPS! Wish we could edit these posts---was in a hurry to get to work this AM.

The above should read: any. Not: a any Study Bible. Cyclopedic Index , not the other non-word.

------ ------- -------- ------- ------- --- ------ ----- -----

Scott:--- BINGO! to your above post. BTW-I've seen-but never owned the Companion Bible. It is published by Kregel. The Thompson can be seen at www.kirkbride.com

Hope this helps the thread starter. Try your local Christian Bookstore ( if there is one) and check them out.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Yesterday, i was looking at Lemstone christian book store and Barnes and Noble in Iowa City,I walked away with total disappointment. Only 1 KJ study bible at Lemstone and 1 hard cover at Barnes and Noble. If you are into the other versions, you could find any and everything.

I have the KJ Reference Bible - Thomas Nelson,a friend gave me a NIV Student bible,not for me. Scott, I like to study as well.

Thanks for all your comments. Jeremy
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

Jeremy, I'm sorry I didn't answer your question very well--you really need to look at some of them yourself and make a decision. You can go to www.cbd.com and work through the menu [use search for KJV Study Bibles]and they will give you excerpts of each Bible. Their prices are generally second to none. God bless, Scott
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM
lewr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Jeremy, I'm sorry I didn't answer your question very well--you really need to look at some of them yourself and make a decision. You can go to www.cbd.com and work through the menu [use search for KJV Study Bibles]and they will give you excerpts of each Bible. Their prices are generally second to none. God bless, Scott
Be discerning when it comes to CBD. They will put anything on the books shelves these days. Brian McLaren, Erwin McManus, Ellen Pagels, John Crossan, and other non-christian and heretics.

Here's a link. Off of it are direct links to CBD themselves.

http://www.christianresearchservice.com/bookstores4.htm
http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...N&item_code=WW

Last edited by lewr2; 05-30-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add links
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM

PB1789,
My mother owns one The Open Bible. I used that when I preached at our "Junior Church" (when I was 12 years old). However, there were some changes in the A.V. TEXT. If anyone still wants to use that study Bible, fine. Just be aware that some words in the Scripture text were actually changed. Psalm 12:6,7. Another suggestion would be to use the study notes, but by all means, use the pure text of the KJV.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
Quote by Biblestudent:

Brother, I don't know how much you paid for that book, but if it wasn't free, it was too much and if it was free, I'd throw it away....I just checked my Open Bible with those quotes and, unless we are talking about a different Open Bible [don't know how many there could be], his examples are wrong. The Open Bible is what I do my READING with, because it is perfect for just reading and not studying......God bless, Scott
It was free, given to my father in the 1980s. That book was about modern versions' attack against the KJV. Another attack against the KJV may be in the form of study Bibles were the KJV text is CRITICIZED in the marginal notes and words are subtly CHANGED. The examples given were correct.

Two examples where The Open Bible does not follow the KJV text are:
Joel 2:24 ("fats" KJV changed to "vats" T.O.B.), and Acts 7:45 ("Jesus" KJV changed to "Joshua" T.O.B.). There may be more.

I checked all his examples in my mother's The Open Bible, and they were all correct. Whether we have the same The Open Bible or not, Dr. Reese explains:

INTRODUCTION
The original articles in this book were written in the 1970’s. Translations that were currently in print at that time were critiqued. The reader should be aware that modern translations are constantly revised and republished.
This is due to 2 major things:
1. In order to sell modern translations of the Bible, publishers must appear to be printing something unique, or making the translation better than the last.
2. Some editors and publishers when caught in an unpopular error, correct it in the next edition. A few readings such as the profanity in the Living Bible changed from one edition to the next.
The major premise of Bible correctors is the same: There is no infallible Bible in existence in any language. Our observations over thirty years ago remain true today. We have no doubt hundreds of new errors are in the multiplicity of translations added since then.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
It was free, given to my father in the 1980s. That book was about modern versions' attack against the KJV. Another attack against the KJV may be in the form of study Bibles were the KJV text is CRITICIZED in the marginal notes and words are subtly CHANGED. The examples given were correct.

Two examples where The Open Bible does not follow the KJV text are:
Joel 2:24 ("fats" KJV changed to "vats" T.O.B.), and Acts 7:45 ("Jesus" KJV changed to "Joshua" T.O.B.). There may be more.

I checked all his examples in my mother's The Open Bible, and they were all correct. Whether we have the same The Open Bible or not, Dr. Reese explains:
Brother, I'm not being critical, we're on the same page [KJV only] I'm just telling you that my Open Bible, which is in length, the King James Open Bible, Thomas Nelson Publishing, copyright 1985, does not have those revisions you are speaking of--Joel 2:24 says fats and Acts 7:45 says Jesus, the list in your previous post were not correct in my Open Bible, and so, the long and the short of it is, there ARE different "Open Bibles" and buyer beware....God bless, Scott
Old 05-31-2008, 06:49 AM

Mine is The Open Bible (c) 1975. I believe this is what Dr. Reese is talking about. You're right, there are different "Open Bibles". Thanks!