Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2009, 07:56 AM

Yes, I'm a grace believer also and, if that is known as a "Pauline Dispensationalist", then that is what I am. I just don't know the proper terminology.

Sister, one of two Grace websites I recommend defines Berean "dispensationalists", Pauline "dispensationalists", Progressive "dispensationalists", Early-Acts "dispensationalists", Mid-Acts "dispensationalists", Late-Acts "dispensationalists", Covenant "dispensationalists", the terminology is confusing so for the momet I'll stick with you and call myself a "Pauline" dispensationlist and a Christian.

So these dispensations were not related to TIME PERIODS or ERAS, but to specific persons that God chose to carry out His will or to reveal certain things to.

They are both. For purposes of Bible study CI Scofield divided the Scriptures into 7 "ages" or "dispensations"(administrations). These seven dispensations as taught by Scofield are:

1. Man innocent.
2. Man under conscience.
3. Man in authority over the earth.
4. Man under promise.
5. Man under law.
6. Man under grace.
7. Man under the personal reign of Christ.

Scofield states(underlining is mine):

The Scriptures divide time (by which is meant the entire period from the creation of Adam to the "new heaven and a new earth" of Rev. 21: 1) into seven unequal periods, usually called dispensations (Eph. 3:2), although these periods are also called ages (Eph. 2:7) and days, as in "day of the Lord."

There is only one problem with this statement and the seven divisions: The Scriptures don't divide time into seven "ages", they divide them into only three:

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
Eph 2:13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

The problem with Scofield's "seven" dispensations is that there are no "dispensers"(administrators)under the first four of Scofield's "dispensations".

If Israel had accepted Christ as their Messiah, their High Priest then there would have been only two dispensations and the Apostle John gives them in this verse:

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

If Israel had accepted Christ in Acts 7 rather than murdered Stephen in rejecting Christ, there would have been only two "dispensations"

1. Man under law: Dispenser:Moses. The redemption of Mankind through Israel.
2. Man under the personal reign of Christ: Dispenser: Jesus Christ. The Tribulation of Joel chapter 2, rise of Israel. The redemption of Mankind with Christ reigning in Jerusalem, watching every move you make.Final battle at the end of the Millennium, then Eternity.

Now, we know Israel rejected Christ in Acts 7, and Paul was called to receive the revelation of the mystery of the Body of Christ, the "dispensation" of the Grace of God where Mankind's redemption was through Paul's gospel, apart from Israel and apart from the works of the Law where something unheard of and impossible had now taken place: Jews and Gentiles were together, in ONE Body, and equal. This revelation was kept hid in God and revealed to no one until it was revealed to Paul

Now, is that "Tony The Heretical Bullingerite's" "false" teaching?

No, it's Romans 11, Eph. 2, and Eph 3.

Scofield taught seven dispensations, Paul taught only three. Between a man, a Gentile saved by grace(Scofield), and the Apostle To The Gentiles(Paul), who was a Jew and one of the oracles of God, I'll take the Apostle to the Gentiles(Paul) and see the truth of:

1. Time Past- Man under law. Dispenser: Moses. The redemption of Mankind through Israel.
2. But Now- Man under grace. Dispenser:Paul.called to receive the revelation of the mystery of the Body of Christ, the "dispensation" of the Grace of God where Mankind's redemption was through Paul's gospel, apart from Israel and apart from the works of the Law where something unheard of and impossible had now taken place: Jews and Gentiles were together, in ONE Body, and equal. This revelation was kept hid in God and revealed to no one until it was revealed to Paul
3. Ages To Come- Man under the personal reign of Christ: Dispenser: Jesus Christ. The Tribulation of Joel chapter 2, rise of Israel. The redemption of Mankind with Christ reigning in Jerusalem, watching every move you make.Final battle at the end of the Millennium, then Eternity.

Jassy, many Christians today feel and teach that you are:

A bad Christian if you weren't baptized in water
A bad Christian if you don't speak in tongues
A bad Christian if you don't take the "Lord's Supper"
A bad Christian if you don't "tithe"
A bad Christian if you don't handle snakes
A bad Christian if you don't "confess your sins to God" periodically
A bad Christian if you don't follow the "great commission"
A bad Christian if you didn't become bulletproof and disease proof at salvation

The reason they teach and feel these things is becasue they have been taught and believe they are in the church founded at Acts 2 by the 12 Apostles. The 12 apostles did not know the first thing about the church you and I are in:

Eph. 2:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Eph. 2:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

See, I have one big problem with this little list I gave you above:

Col. 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

I have not yet found one single "ordinance" that is of sight, that is a of a show in the flesh, that I can think of that I could, by my own and some other man's efforts add to that completeness.

And that's why grace "dispensationalists", "dry cleaners", "hypers & ultras", "church splitters" are looked down on as being "false teachers": We don't need anything but the gospel of Christ crucified, we don't need anything but Jesus Christ Himself. We've been here since the first century AD, the doctrines and commandments of men and the gates of hell have not prevailed against us and in 2009 had there never been a Protestant "reformation" we'd still be here.

And this is, therefore, a "program."

Yes, exactly. The program changed from the Nation of Israel, the church in the wilderness, over to exactly what God prophesied would happen, the believing remnant of the Messianic Apostolic church, the "program" changed again when God set Israel aside and grafted the Body made of primarily Gentiles into the Messianic church, the "program" will change when He Raptures the church out of the world and then begins to deal with Israel again.

There is another Christian that I know, who is also a KJV believer, strong in the Word, who said that God's dispensions are related to ERA's and that now we are in the CHURCH era. But I see that so many people think that this Church era is the LAST dispensation. However, God still has future dispensations that He will give, according to His own time.

Well, I agree with him we are in the church, the Body of Christ, the age of grace, the "but now", but these other Christians you mention are wrong because Paul says there is a "dispensation" after this one which is "ages to come"- Tribulation, Millennial Kingdom Of Heaven under Israel with Christ as King, then Eternity.

Yes, so much has cleared-up for me, once I understood about dispensation and God's overall plan. When a believer tries to mix up that up, their mind will be in chaos and they lose their understanding of "rightly dividing."

Thank you brother! It does help tremendously, in that it verified that I am on the right track in my understanding.

Jassy

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto Tony Bones, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

That's not what the verse says, does it sister? Take any message I post in this forum, if there is any suspicion that I am making converts to EW Bullinger, the Berean Bible Society of Cornelius Stam, or teaching "false doctrine" and then:

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Ro 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Grace and peace sister Jassy

Tony

Last edited by tonybones2112; 06-08-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: smileys