General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Grumpy Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Yes!

I enjoy his books too, Grumpy. At one point, I had most of his books, in paperback, and have read just about every book he wrote.

I'm currently rereading all of his books, as many of them I've not read in twenty years! I just finished Bowdrie the other day, and am planning on reading Bowdrie's Law tomorrow...the public library is a wonderful place!

I have a lot of his book laying around, but most of my books are commentaries, NT greek and study helps. I also enjoyed "A case for Christ", that is just an awesome book. I have to go too our little public library the next town over to get many L`Amour books.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hillbilly View Post
I have a lot of his book laying around, but most of my books are commentaries, NT greek and study helps. I also enjoyed "A case for Christ", that is just an awesome book. I have to go too our little public library the next town over to get many L`Amour books.
I like Lee Strobel's books, too. I've read both 'A Case For Christ" and "A Case For Faith", but I lent my copy of "A Case For A Creator" to my Dad before I'd finished reading it. He's got it, about 3000 miles away...
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Vendetta Ride

Default Hey, JaeByrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
Wow. That's a shocker.
I don't know why that shocked you; I notice that PB1789 like Holmes, too. Anyway, I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news: Warner Brothers is making a new Holmes movie, based not on the Conan Doyle stories, but on a comic book - - - excuse me, a "graphic novel" - - - about him, starring Robert Downey Jr. ("Iron Man") as Holmes and Jude Law (whoever he is) as Watson. It's produced by Guy Ritchie, who has apparently come unhinged as a result of his recent marriage to (or divorce from) Madonna. They're essentially going to make Sherlock Holmes an "action hero," like James Bond or Arnold Schwarzenegger. Jeremy Brett is undoubtedly whirling in his grave. The only way this could be worse would be if it were a "Shrek"-type thing.

The good news: I don't know if you're aware of it, but a very popular mystery writer named Laurie King has wriiten a series of books about Holmes, that are pretty good. In the series, however, the main character is Mary Russell, a brilliant young Jewish girl who meets Holmes after his retirement, and becomes his apprentice. (She's also a theology student.) Eventually, over the course of four or five books, the two of them .... well, never mind. I won't spoil it for you. But the books are well-done, and they're not dirty. The first book in the series is "The Beekeeper's Apprentice."

Here's a link to the author's site:

http://www.laurierking.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
I don't know why that shocked you; I notice that PB1789 like Holmes, too. Anyway, I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news: Warner Brothers is making a new Holmes movie, based not on the Conan Doyle stories, but on a comic book - - - excuse me, a "graphic novel" - - - about him, starring Robert Downey Jr. ("Iron Man") as Holmes and Jude Law (whoever he is) as Watson. It's produced by Guy Ritchie, who has apparently come unhinged as a result of his recent marriage to (or divorce from) Madonna. They're essentially going to make Sherlock Holmes an "action hero," like James Bond or Arnold Schwarzenegger. Jeremy Brett is undoubtedly whirling in his grave. The only way this could be worse would be if it were a "Shrek"-type thing.

The good news: I don't know if you're aware of it, but a very popular mystery writer named Laurie King has wriiten a series of books about Holmes, that are pretty good. In the series, however, the main character is Mary Russell, a brilliant young Jewish girl who meets Holmes after his retirement, and becomes his apprentice. (She's also a theology student.) Eventually, over the course of four or five books, the two of them .... well, never mind. I won't spoil it for you. But the books are well-done, and they're not dirty. The first book in the series is "The Beekeeper's Apprentice."

Here's a link to the author's site:

http://www.laurierking.com/
You are such a sherlock holmes nerd!

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Maybe because I was joking. Hence the wink at the end of the sentence. Considering your avatar if you didn't list Holmes up there then I would have had to wonder about you.

I was unaware of the movie. (or the graphic novel for that matter.) I can't say that it surprises me. Graphic Novels into movies are all the rage right now. And a Holmes that is more "Indiana Jones" is what the majority of folks would want/could handle. "Don't make me think." seems to be the mantra of today's youth.

Never heard of her books.A romance might ruin it though. I could picture Holmes with a wife, but she'd have to be the right one. A woman that wasn't a "silly female" type. Thanks for the tip. If I ever work through the books I have on my "next list" I might check it out.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:35 AM

*has already checked it out...and is really liking this new series*

I was disappointed when the Sherlock mysteries ran out; reading Doyle's books taught me how to pay attention to detail (something my dad tried to get me to do for years!). And JaeByrd, do you seriously think Sherlock is capable of romance? He's as close to Sheldon Cooper ("Big Bang Theory" sitcom) as anyone could have been that long ago.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 PM

*has never read Sherlock Holmes books... but is seriously thinking about borrowing them from the library*
Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
Maybe because I was joking. Hence the wink at the end of the sentence. Considering your avatar if you didn't list Holmes up there then I would have had to wonder about you.

I was unaware of the movie. (or the graphic novel for that matter.) I can't say that it surprises me. Graphic Novels into movies are all the rage right now. And a Holmes that is more "Indiana Jones" is what the majority of folks would want/could handle. "Don't make me think." seems to be the mantra of today's youth.

Never heard of her books.A romance might ruin it though. I could picture Holmes with a wife, but she'd have to be the right one. A woman that wasn't a "silly female" type. Thanks for the tip. If I ever work through the books I have on my "next list" I might check it out.
Okay, I'm just gonna say this much: when Holmes meets her, she's about 15 or 16; he "mentors" her for several years; eventually, they marry (after she's of age, and independently wealthy by inheritance), but primarily as a matter of convenience. Neither of them has a romantic bone in their body, and they continue to refer to each other by their last names ("Come here, Russell;" "Yes, Holmes?") even while married.

You see, poor Holmes never got over Irene Adler in "A Scandal in Bohemia."

But I didn't pick the Holmes avatar because I'm such a fan (did someone call me a "nerd?" No, my eyes must have been deceiving me). I liked his cerebral look.

But if you guys are gonna pick on me, I'll change the avatar. I'll find an avatar that more closely resembles my actual physical apppearance. Heh heh heh....
Old 11-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBPrincess View Post
*has never read Sherlock Holmes books... but is seriously thinking about borrowing them from the library*
I love the public library. No matter what town I live in, I'm always at the library at least once a week. I certainly wouldn't (and couldn't) pay for all the weird books I read.....

If you decide to try Holmes, you don't have to read them in order; but "A Study in Scarlet" in the one that introduces the characters.

Someday, if the Lord tarries, I intend to read Jane Austen; everyone says she's just terrific. But last year I finally got around to reading "Moby Dick" for the first time (and enjoyed it), so I'm feeling very "righteous" right now, and not obligated to tackle any more of the classics!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
*has already checked it out...and is really liking this new series*

I was disappointed when the Sherlock mysteries ran out; reading Doyle's books taught me how to pay attention to detail (something my dad tried to get me to do for years!).
You might enjoy the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout. They somewhat remind me of Sherlock Holmes. Nero doesn't do any of his own leg work, leaving all of that to Archie Goodwin or other PIs that he hires. They are enjoyable books and there are a lot of them.

I had no idea until googling just now that someone put out a theory that Wolfe is the son of Sherlock and Irene Adler - or possibly the son of Mycroft Holmes. Based on a painting of Sherlock Holmes above the fireplace in one of the books and the similarities. The author made no such claims.

Quote:
And JaeByrd, do you seriously think Sherlock is capable of romance?
I do recall something that led me to think that. And looks like Irene Adler was the something. Keep in mind it has be a LOT of years since I read the books. It would have to be the right woman. Kind of like how there are the right wives for military men, firemen, police, artists, preachers, or programmers.

I did say a romance would ruin it... but I could see him with the right wife. A good marriage is not all about roses, wildfire, and candy. It's about sharing the same goals and values and having respect for/towards each other. Now if you can have it all like I do then so much the better. But I could see Holmes with someone who would share the fireplace, talk to him like Watson does, and maybe darn his socks or something. As long as she doesn't plague him with silly, useless, female prattle.

Quote:
But if you guys are gonna pick on me, I'll change the avatar. I'll find an avatar that more closely resembles my actual physical apppearance. Heh heh heh
Nice sideburns. I knew you were old.... but now you're dating yourself.