General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 AM

Default Is contraception a liberty or a sin?

Hi all!

I know that the Catholics have always been strictly against this one but I haven’t heard that much from our camp on it. This would probably be a good way to temp Mr Religion to throw his penny’s worth in as he seems to have a good understanding of history!

What conclusions have you guys come to on this?

God bless

PaulB
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Now Bro. Paul...Are you trying to give us yet another "law" or sin we have to worry about!?

I'm with you. I am interested in Mr. Religion's take on this...

Blessings!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM

Ouch; hot potato. I'll keep my opinion to myself for a time.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 PM

We don't have to breed church members like RC's do.

There is nothing wrong with a married couple using contraception.Goodness we are still under the curse and part of that is multiplying births,we have to actually do something to limit the number of children we have.

Not all christian couples do use contraception,they feel it is between them and God and fair enough too.

Mrs Hayseed
Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
This would probably be a good way to temp Mr Religion to throw his penny’s worth in as he seems to have a good understanding of history!
Rather than construct the argument on my own, with no doubt less clarity, I will simply agree with the cogent comments shown here:

http://www.reformed.org/webfiles/ant...n4_issue1.html

AMR

Last edited by Ask Mr. Religion; 08-01-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:17 AM

The heading "The 95 theses of contention against dispensationalism" at the top of the page was enough to send me to the X to close that site.
It is obvious you hold a reformed position and you have stated that from the word go, that is your liberty.
However to anyone that may visit those links particularly "babes in Christ" may I urge you to take heed as it is entrenched in Calvinism.

While everyone is at liberty to post links to reformed websites and promotion of Calvinism, I too am also at liberty to promote material against this erroneous teaching, and may I recommend Laurence Vance's "The Other side of Calvinism" that a few other dear brothers have also recommended.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM

Greetings Mrs. Hayseed

Quote:
Mrs. Hayseed said: There is nothing wrong with a married couple using contraception.Goodness we are still under the curse and part of that is multiplying births,we have to actually do something to limit the number of children we have.

Not all christian couples do use contraception,they feel it is between them and God and fair enough too.
I was just wondering what Scripture you have to support this? Or is it a lack of Scripture on the subject that forms this conclusion?

I am not ready to post my thoughts on this matter as I am still gathering my verses. I've studied this out before but it's been awhile and unfortunately I never wrote it down

I do not mean this argumentatively but am just asking how did you come to this conclusion?

Be blessed!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Default Re: " Is contraception a liberty or a sin?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
The heading "The 95 theses of contention against dispensationalism" at the top of the page was enough to send me to the X to close that site.
It is obvious you hold a reformed position and you have stated that from the word go, that is your liberty.
However to anyone that may visit those links particularly "babes in Christ" may I urge you to take heed as it is entrenched in Calvinism.

While everyone is at liberty to post links to reformed websites and promotion of Calvinism, I too am also at liberty to promote material against this erroneous teaching, and may I recommend Laurence Vance's "The Other side of Calvinism" that a few other dear brothers have also recommended.

Aloha brother Steven,

Thanks for the "tip". I've always thought that no ordinary genuine Bible believer would choose such a pedantic name as "MR. RELIGION", and now I know why.

The "intelligentsia" (scribes & scholars) have a strong tendency to lean toward Calvinism, since it is a religion of the "MIND" (the "intellect") and NOT the "HEART" and most certainly not of the Holy Scriptures as brother Vance has demonstrated in his most excellent book refuting Calvinism, and as I did in my (not so excellent) expose here on the AV1611 Bible Forums.

All the "issues of life" proceed from out of the "heart" and NOT the "mind", and therein lays the "fatal flaw" of Calvinism.
Quote:
Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Mark 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
I'm not interested in modern day "theology"; and I have even less use for modern day "theologians, academicians, and others in theological fields."

I want to know what God has to say about Himself; His creation; mankind; His people; and the issues of life, NOT what some puffed up, egotistical, vain, and arrogant "theologian" thinks! Why do you suppose when the Lord Jesus picked His disciples that there wasn't a "scholar" or a "scribe" amongst them? Hmmm? {Just so no one's "sensitive feelings" are hurt - the foregoing comments are not directed specifically at any one person on this Forum - BUT, on the other hand, "if the shoe fits"!}

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Proverbs 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Hi all!

I know that the Catholics have always been strictly against this one but I haven’t heard that much from our camp on it. This would probably be a good way to temp Mr Religion to throw his penny’s worth in as he seems to have a good understanding of history!

What conclusions have you guys come to on this?

God bless

PaulB
I would say it is a matter of liberty as long as the method of birth control you use doesn't violate a clear teaching of Scripture. Abortion is a form of birth control that violates Scripture. What about the pill?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Aloha brother Steven,

Thanks for the "tip". I've always thought that no ordinary genuine Bible believer would choose such a pedantic name as "MR. RELIGION", and now I know why.

The "intelligentsia" (scribes & scholars) have a strong tendency to lean toward Calvinism, since it is a religion of the "MIND" (the "intellect") and NOT the "HEART" and most certainly not of the Holy Scriptures as brother Vance has demonstrated in his most excellent book refuting Calvinism, and as I did in my (not so excellent) expose here on the AV1611 Bible Forums.

All the "issues of life" proceed from out of the "heart" and NOT the "mind", and therein lays the "fatal flaw" of Calvinism.I'm not interested in modern day "theology"; and I have even less use for modern day "theologians, academicians, and others in theological fields."

I want to know what God has to say about Himself; His creation; mankind; His people; and the issues of life, NOT what some puffed up, egotistical, vain, and arrogant "theologian" thinks! Why do you suppose when the Lord Jesus picked His disciples that there wasn't a "scholar" or a "scribe" amongst them? Hmmm? {Just so no one's "sensitive feelings" are hurt - the foregoing comments are not directed specifically at any one person on this Forum - BUT, on the other hand, "if the shoe fits"!}

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Proverbs 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.

Dear Brother your study on the errors of Calvinism is also a fantastic resource, that I have printed, filed and shared. And also comes highly recommended to any babes in Christ that are struggling with the subject of Calvinism.