Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union
Default Revelation 22:19

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."-Revelation 22:19

Ok, this verse if used very commonly for the defense of the KJO position, since we believe it to be the Word of God, and those who remove or add to it be found liars in the sight of Holy God.

MY problem with the citing of this verse is this: Isn't the writer speaking of "the book of THIS prophecy"? While the Bible is filled with prophecy, aren't we only talking about Revelation, of which the entire book is prophecy? Book meaning 1/66th of the Bible, since there are 66 books in the Bible?

I take heed to the promise in this verse, that those who take away from (what I believe the writer to be talking about) Revelation, will have their name taken out of the book of life, and those who add to (what I believe the writer to be talking about) Revelation shall have the plagues inflicted upon him.

My question flat out is: isn't "The book of THIS prophecy" talking about Revelation?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
jerry

I believe it is referring to the BOOK, the Bible - all of Scripture. Revelation is the capstone of the Bible, but it is the sum and concluding of all the rest of the Book.

There are warnings in the beginning of the Bible, in the middle, near the end of the OT, and now at the end of the NT.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Jeremiah 26:2 Thus saith the LORD; Stand in the court of the LORD'S house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the LORD'S house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word:

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

1) The word prophecy is used in at least one place in Revelation to refer to ALL of the Word of God:

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

The testimony/witness of Jesus is the heart of the whole Bible (my paraphrase).

2) Those other warnings spaced throughout the Bible show a principle of not adding to or taking away from ANY of the Bible - so even if, strictly speaking, it is directly referring to the book of Revelation, the application is to the WHOLE Bible.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Is all the Bible prophecy? I think not, even though the whole Bible is the special revelation of Jesus Christ.

So if I take words out of...say Joshua, my name will be taken out of the book of life?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 PM
jerry

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

All Scripture is considered prophecy, ie. revelation from God.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 AM

You're right, but that brings us back to the original question, could Revelation 22:19 be talking only about the book of prophecy of Revelation?

And if yes, then does that mean that those who omit from the Bible, which is all prophecy, lost their place in the book of life?

Brother, this is huge.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:17 AM
jerry

I don't believe any true Christian can lose their salvation. God keeps His own. What I do believe is that professing (but not possessing) Christians or apostates are going to be shocked one day to find that they were not really saved (if they ever thought they were). These people that Revelation 22:18-19 are referring to are the lost - though they may have a form of godliness, they are tares among the wheat, wolves among the sheep.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 AM
eagle777

The Book or letter to the seven churches was just that. A letter to the seven churches. The Book we call the Bible was not even assembled at this time. Most of the books, as we call them, written by Paul were letters to people and to churches. This statement in Rev. 22:18-19 is talking only about the letter that was written to the seven churches.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
The Book or letter to the seven churches was just that. A letter to the seven churches. The Book we call the Bible was not even assembled at this time. Most of the books, as we call them, written by Paul were letters to people and to churches. This statement in Rev. 22:18-19 is talking only about the letter that was written to the seven churches.
That will be little consolation to those who have deliberately removed portions of the book of Revelation from God's word (like Westcott and Hort):
1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
5:14: And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.
14:5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.
20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
21:24: And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Paul Foltz

It is talking about all the plagues mentioned in the whole Bible.
Paul Foltz
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Paul Foltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
That will be little consolation to those who have deliberately removed portions of the book of Revelation from God's word (like Westcott and Hort):
1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
5:14: And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.
14:5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.
20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
21:24: And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
They were 7 churches then existing. Typically they represent the course of the church
age. Spiritually represent 7 different kinds of local churches, and 7 different kinds of
believers.
Paul Foltz