Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 AM

The one I ordered is not the Zondervan version.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 AM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

I stood there in the store thinking "A Zondervan?" I had with me the list of common misprints and this one had one out of 17+. There were two Bibles that did not have commentary, one was an economy edition Thomas Nelson, one was a imitation leather Zondervan. Zondervan and Nelson both have a bad history with printing Bibles, but I suppose the main reason was that it was much more durable, thinking that I could get a better reprint when this one wore out. However, after using it, I fail to see any error that Zondervan put in here. That is, of course, open to correction from faithful Bibleprotector, if I am wrong. Since it is so useful and simple-simple meaning no cross-refrences, which could be misleading since they are not inspired, commentary, doubt-csting notes (or any notes), and the unnecessary like. Unlike other fine KJBs out there, with this one, I do not feel confident that I could literally beat someone to a pulp with it because it doesn't contain so much "stuff".
Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

Yes, you ordered a Nelson. It is the exact same Bible (even down to the page #, 796), but different publisher.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
Yes, you ordered a Nelson. It is the exact same Bible (even down to the page #, 796), but different publisher.
Oh ok. Well what version of the KJV do I have then?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 AM

The way to tell that it is Scrivener's is because it has the pilcrow symbol throughout the Psalm in places where it does not belong, and Psalm 76:6, as just one example, has the word "are" in italics where (I assume) Scrivener has wrongly done so. See also "so" in Psalm 77:4.

These are a few I can tell just quickly looking at the page given above, and if these tiny differences are here (which are different to normal Cambridge, Oxford, etc. editions) there is no doubt that it will have much more.

Last edited by bibleprotector; 05-08-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 AM

This is the one I ordered.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:39 AM

Paladin, are you really sure that yours is exactly the same than Jordan's?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 AM

Hello Jordan and all:--- Okay, I read all the posts and rather than argue...I went to google and typed in: Zondervan Bibles King James Authorized version and clicked the mouse---

Zondervan pubs. says on their own page (last paragraph) that they use the Scrivener edition.

Jordan----Couple of things for you.

A) Glad you are interested in reading God's Word! Many teenagers are not.

B) The edition that you ordered is in the mail...okay-fine. It is not very expensive, and you can always get another Bible next week/month. IF you want to compare what you get in the mail with a slightly different edition then simply (and freely) go to the front page of this website. The Bible is available online---click and read. {And tell the website owner "Thanks".}

C) If you are short on money but would like another Bible (A.V.-K.J.) look at the used book stores/thrift stores in your town/county. Many churches have switched their K.J. Pew Bibles for modern versions. You might give a phone call to a local Lutheran church (as they went to the NIV--boo-hiss!) or Presbyterian or Methodist or Congregational church near you and ask. They probably have them in boxes in the storage room. They will be hard-back and the font (size of the print) and the clarity should be okay. {Don't argue with the person at the church if you do call,,,just be polite and say "thanks"! }

D) If there is a used book store, or a Christian book store that has a Used department; Check them out for an old Oxford or Cambridge bible. The print and font is very good. If the cover (binding) is leather (it usually will say it in small letters on the back cover) BUY IT! If you can get one for less than $20.00, and it hasn't been written in and color underlined/highlighted,,,get it. The British Bible Houses make better Bibles than we do here in the USA-sad but true. Cambridge, Oxford, and Trinitarian Bible Society have nice black ink on good white paper, good font with good clarity, sewn together. They last! Make sure you can actually read the print though-no sense hurting your eyes.

E) What Paladin54 said about the 1611 is true. The letters (especially the "f" and "s"-) make the reading and comprehension a challenge. Most of us use the 1769 edition of the Authorized version. Remember Jordan; You need to focus on Christ Jesus, not go off on rabbit trails of endless disagreements. Some people on the internet love to argue about things, rather than Discuss them...there is a difference; One gives off Heat, the other gives Light. If someday (after you get some more miles on your shoes) --- you wish to read/own the AV 1611 you can get one from Thomas Nelson pubs. Right now though you need to read some from Genesis/Exodus-Psalms/Proverbs- Matt/Mark/Luke/John-Acts/Romans-Peter/John/James/Hebrews. Try a chapter from each of those during the day and night, then when you've got the basics down start reading the rest of the Old Testament...thataway the things in the New Testament will really bloom and blossom for you. Find a good Bible believing Church, that preaches Christ and Him crucified and grow.

F) If you have questions-(everybody does) about certain passages/words/places/things mentioned in the Bible, there are helpful books out there.
First thing is a Concordance. This is a list of the words in the Bible, arranged by A,B,C, etc. and order of the Books. Strong's is most peoples favorite. If you buy one-Read the Instructions on how to use it,,,otherwise you've got a big paper weight.

Next (and IMO every Christian should have one ) is a Bible Dictionary. Several brands. Smith's, Unger's or Zondervan Pictorial are full of good info to explain customs/ceremonies/cultures/clothing/food/ and many other things. {Often wondered how many church-splits could have been avoided if people would have consulted a dictionary and found out the meanings of words...instead of running around thinking that they knew some "special revelation" ..?!}

Next is a Bible Handbook. Get Halley's---there are others, but this one has been around for decades and is affordable, and useful. It gives you an introduction to each Bible book {Such as why/where/when/how Paul wrote to the various churches} . A very brief outline/commentary on each book. A brief Archaeology section and a really cool Church history section. There is also a section telling how we got our Bibles.

Hope this helps you Jordan.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Yes but I didn't order a Zondervan one is what I'm saying.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
textusreceptusonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibleprotector View Post
The way to tell that it is Scrivener's is because it has the pilcrow symbol throughout the Psalm in places where it does not belong, and Psalm 76:6, as just one example, has the word "are" in italics where (I assume) Scrivener has wrongly done so. See also "so" in Psalm 77:4.
Most of my KJVs are Thomas Nelson or other, but I have one Zondervan, and in it there is no plicrow in Psalm 76, nor is "are" italicized in Psalm 76:6, nor is "so" italicized in Psalm 77:4. [Although spirit is lowercased in Genesis 1:2] It has the epistle dedicatory (but not the preface) and has the translator's notes at the bottom margin on each page. It's a green marble paperback that has a solid green banner across the top that reads "Traditionally Loved and Accepted" and is called on the copyright page, "King James Version, Mass Market Edition." Costs 6.99 USA.

Last edited by textusreceptusonly; 05-08-2008 at 09:00 PM.