General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2009, 08:43 AM
PaulB's Avatar
PaulB PaulB is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Northwest of England
Posts: 158
Default Is contraception a liberty or a sin?

Hi all!

I know that the Catholics have always been strictly against this one but I haven’t heard that much from our camp on it. This would probably be a good way to temp Mr Religion to throw his penny’s worth in as he seems to have a good understanding of history!

What conclusions have you guys come to on this?


God bless

PaulB
  #2  
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Amanda S.'s Avatar
Amanda S. Amanda S. is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 177
Default

Now Bro. Paul...Are you trying to give us yet another "law" or sin we have to worry about!?

I'm with you. I am interested in Mr. Religion's take on this...

Blessings!
  #3  
Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Samuel's Avatar
Samuel Samuel is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 130
Default

Ouch; hot potato. I'll keep my opinion to myself for a time.
  #4  
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Hayseed Hayseed is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Putaruru,NewZealand
Posts: 80
Default

We don't have to breed church members like RC's do.

There is nothing wrong with a married couple using contraception.Goodness we are still under the curse and part of that is multiplying births,we have to actually do something to limit the number of children we have.

Not all christian couples do use contraception,they feel it is between them and God and fair enough too.

Mrs Hayseed
  #5  
Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Ask Mr. Religion's Avatar
Ask Mr. Religion Ask Mr. Religion is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
This would probably be a good way to temp Mr Religion to throw his penny’s worth in as he seems to have a good understanding of history!
Rather than construct the argument on my own, with no doubt less clarity, I will simply agree with the cogent comments shown here:

http://www.reformed.org/webfiles/ant...n4_issue1.html

AMR

Last edited by Ask Mr. Religion; 08-01-2009 at 12:29 AM.
  #6  
Old 08-01-2009, 05:17 AM
peopleoftheway peopleoftheway is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 645
Default

The heading "The 95 theses of contention against dispensationalism" at the top of the page was enough to send me to the X to close that site.
It is obvious you hold a reformed position and you have stated that from the word go, that is your liberty.
However to anyone that may visit those links particularly "babes in Christ" may I urge you to take heed as it is entrenched in Calvinism.

While everyone is at liberty to post links to reformed websites and promotion of Calvinism, I too am also at liberty to promote material against this erroneous teaching, and may I recommend Laurence Vance's "The Other side of Calvinism" that a few other dear brothers have also recommended.
  #7  
Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Amanda S.'s Avatar
Amanda S. Amanda S. is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 177
Default

Greetings Mrs. Hayseed

Quote:
Mrs. Hayseed said: There is nothing wrong with a married couple using contraception.Goodness we are still under the curse and part of that is multiplying births,we have to actually do something to limit the number of children we have.

Not all christian couples do use contraception,they feel it is between them and God and fair enough too.
I was just wondering what Scripture you have to support this? Or is it a lack of Scripture on the subject that forms this conclusion?

I am not ready to post my thoughts on this matter as I am still gathering my verses. I've studied this out before but it's been awhile and unfortunately I never wrote it down

I do not mean this argumentatively but am just asking how did you come to this conclusion?

Be blessed!
  #8  
Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Hayseed Hayseed is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Putaruru,NewZealand
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Greetings Mrs. Hayseed



I was just wondering what Scripture you have to support this? Or is it a lack of Scripture on the subject that forms this conclusion?

I am not ready to post my thoughts on this matter as I am still gathering my verses. I've studied this out before but it's been awhile and unfortunately I never wrote it down

I do not mean this argumentatively but am just asking how did you come to this conclusion?

Be blessed!
You must have personal thoughts of your own on this matter,you seem all grown up to me.

You are not ready to post your own until you have scripture to back you up,
can you not hint at what your thoughts are on the issue of birth control?

Have you never reached a conclusion yourself at your age?

I do take some exception to the way you have taken certain words I said and made them bold,thereby adding emphasis that I myself did not do.

Gen.3:16 Unto the woman he said,I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception;

The multiplied sorrow is most noticeably seen in the recurring menstrual cycle and multiple forms of birth control are used to reduce the multiplied conceptions.

The Bible does not forbid contraception.It is not the act of contraception itself that determines whether it is right or wrong...it is the motive.

The Bible presents children as a gift from God,if a married christian couple practice birth control temporarily until they are more finanicial and spiritually secure and not because it would cramp their style to have kids, it is between them and God.
It comes down to motive.
Mrs Hayseed
  #9  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Amanda S.'s Avatar
Amanda S. Amanda S. is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 177
Default

Yes, SIs Hayseed I have come to my own conclusion. And it is a matter of personal conviction, not necessarily a command for everyone.

I do agree with Sis JaeByrd above and have the resources to offer for anyone wishing to study out how the pill works and other forms of hormonal birthcontrol.

I see no reason why you should take exception to what was highlighted....? It was what I was referring to and what you said. It was only highlighted not to create an emphasis on what you said, but to draw attetion to why I asked the question I did.

I also agree with you as to the motive...That does make a big difference doesn't it?

Be blessed!
  #10  
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM
George's Avatar
George George is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Posts: 891
Default Re: " Is contraception a liberty or a sin?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
The heading "The 95 theses of contention against dispensationalism" at the top of the page was enough to send me to the X to close that site.
It is obvious you hold a reformed position and you have stated that from the word go, that is your liberty.
However to anyone that may visit those links particularly "babes in Christ" may I urge you to take heed as it is entrenched in Calvinism.

While everyone is at liberty to post links to reformed websites and promotion of Calvinism, I too am also at liberty to promote material against this erroneous teaching, and may I recommend Laurence Vance's "The Other side of Calvinism" that a few other dear brothers have also recommended.

Aloha brother Steven,

Thanks for the "tip". I've always thought that no ordinary genuine Bible believer would choose such a pedantic name as "MR. RELIGION", and now I know why.

The "intelligentsia" (scribes & scholars) have a strong tendency to lean toward Calvinism, since it is a religion of the "MIND" (the "intellect") and NOT the "HEART" and most certainly not of the Holy Scriptures as brother Vance has demonstrated in his most excellent book refuting Calvinism, and as I did in my (not so excellent) expose here on the AV1611 Bible Forums.

All the "issues of life" proceed from out of the "heart" and NOT the "mind", and therein lays the "fatal flaw" of Calvinism.
Quote:
Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:


Mark 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
I'm not interested in modern day "theology"; and I have even less use for modern day "theologians, academicians, and others in theological fields."

I want to know what God has to say about Himself; His creation; mankind; His people; and the issues of life, NOT what some puffed up, egotistical, vain, and arrogant "theologian" thinks! Why do you suppose when the Lord Jesus picked His disciples that there wasn't a "scholar" or a "scribe" amongst them? Hmmm? {Just so no one's "sensitive feelings" are hurt - the foregoing comments are not directed specifically at any one person on this Forum - BUT, on the other hand, "if the shoe fits"!}

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

Proverbs 26:12 Seest thou a man wise in his own conceit? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com