Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 AM

Default How a christian becomes a false prophet.

I did a class on the Pentateuch and during this class I found the reference to a prophet named Balaam.
Numbers 22:12 And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed.
Even before Israel moved towards Moab, there is a man who knows he can speak to God. He understands the Law required to be able and communicating with Him. I do not know how this happened but I have faith this lesson is a good reference on how a Christian can go bad. One decision we make can change our effectiveness. Balaam talked to God face to face.
18 And Balaam answered and said unto the servants of Balak, If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD my God, to do less or more.
In this verse we have the impression that untold riches were not enough for Him to disobey God.
19 Now therefore, I pray you, tarry ye also here this night, that I may know what the LORD will say unto me more.
Here it sounds that he is tempted and wants to ask God one more time.
20 And God came unto Balaam at night, and said unto him, If the men come to call thee, rise up, and go with them; but yet the word which I shall say unto thee, that shalt thou do.
This is where in this story God lets Balaam go into the world with the heathen. Reminding him his obligation and to whom it should be towards. Most might know the story of Balaam and the donkey. Even the prophet of God lets the temptation of money influence his behavior. Balaam already knew he was in a pickle between God and the king of Moab. This frustration is evident with his reaction to everything around him.
29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
Balaam gets right with God and asks to get back in His will.
34 And Balaam said unto the angel of the LORD, I have sinned; for I knew not that thou stoodest in the way against me: now therefore, if it displease thee, I will get me back again.
He is now at a point where it doesn’t matter to him what anyone says or does. He wants to do only that what the Lord tells him to do or say. Balaam was a true prophet of God. He knew that he could talk personally with God whenever he needed to.
23:4 And God met Balaam: and he said unto him, I have prepared seven altars, and I have offered upon every altar a bullock and a ram.
5 And the LORD put a word in Balaam's mouth, and said, Return unto Balak, and thus thou shalt speak.

Balaam stands firm and speaks the word of the Lord to the king.
11 And Balak said unto Balaam, What hast thou done unto me? I took thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast blessed them altogether.
12 And he answered and said, Must I not take heed to speak that which the LORD hath put in my mouth?

Balaam continues going back to doing what others want him to do.
13 And Balak said unto him, Come, I pray thee, with me unto another place, from whence thou mayest see them: thou shalt see but the utmost part of them, and shalt not see them all: and curse me them from thence.

The story of Balaam the prophet ends in this chapter. Most all references in scripture refer to him as being bought to hinder Israel. I believe he earned his rewards and for that he became a false prophet. Balaam knew He could not curse Israel. He knew what it would take to defeat Israel. I tend to be influenced towards the side that he told Balak that the way to defeat Israel was with getting them to sin against God and he would punish them.. You read about this in the next chapter. You will never hear one good thing about Balaam in history. Every reference with him in scripture is telling you not to listen to him. He is reduced to nothing more than a soothsayer in Joshua 13:22. The trip Balaam took from speaking with God face to face, being his prophet, to a heretic all revolved around his temptation to do what the king wished with the promise of riches. I believe he took the money, sold his soul at that very moment. He could have repented. He must have hardened his heart towards the will of God to be able and live with his choice. He knew that he was punished. God did not visit him anymore. So many questions come up with this lesson in scripture. I have to remind myself that he was under the law. What grace we have been given.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:05 PM

II Cor. 13:5-7
5. Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
6. But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
7. Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

You're either saved or lost. Paul says they better be certain that they are saved and know it for themselves. He wanted them to have their salvation certain between the Lord Jesus Christ and themselves, and not be basing their assurance on Paul or anyone else. If Paul himself turned back to ungodliness (very possible for anyone of us), they had still better know that they themselves are saved. Otherwise they're called a reprobate.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Scott Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
5. Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
6. But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.
7. Now I pray to God that ye do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that ye should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.

You're either saved or lost. Paul says they better be certain that they are saved and know it for themselves. He wanted them to have their salvation certain between the Lord Jesus Christ and themselves, and not be basing their assurance on Paul or anyone else. If Paul himself turned back to ungodliness (very possible for anyone of us), they had still better know that they themselves are saved. Otherwise they're called a reprobate.
But you are not saying that turning back to ungodliness is one losing there salvation are you? But they thought they where saved because they thought they believe, but didn't really believe, so they where never saved to begin with, right?
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Scott Simons

Quote:
[COLOR=green] I tend to be influenced towards the side that he told Balak that the way to defeat Israel was with getting them to sin against God and he would punish them.. You read about this in the next chapter.
I believe he got the king to send his daughter to marry there men and men to marry there daughter, which is how he trouble Israel.

However to think about Balaam being saved, because he talked to God, some would say that the church did not exist so no one was saved. So if he was saved, then he was saved then no matter what he is saved and just lost some rewards no matter what, but I don’t know why he was mentioned in Jude if he was saved, so he must have not been saved, even if he talked to God and God talked to him, right?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 AM

No one can lose their salvation in this age.

Notice the words emphasized in the passage above. "Though we be AS reprobates." Paul could never be a reprobate though he could APPEAR to be one if he backslid. Even if he did, "we are not reprobates."
Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Scott Simons

Quote:
Quote:
No one can lose their salvation in this age.

Notice the words emphasized in the passage above. "Though we be AS reprobates." Paul could never be a reprobate though he could APPEAR to be one if he backslid. Even if he did, "we are not reprobates."
"Though we be AS reprobates." I know that, I thought you believed no one can lose their salvation, that is why I phrase the post the way I did.