Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Debau's Avatar
Debau Debau is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Here lies Joe Blow

Born: 1999 - Died: 2075
My pre-departure condolences to the Blow family.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
  #52  
Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Josh's Avatar
Josh Josh is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schwenke View Post
...I have never yet heard anyone who is Anti-Gap give a reasonable, logical explanation for when and how Satan fell. The Gap answers this in a reasonable fashion, without violating any scripture...
I know this was a few pages back, but it was something that caught my attention. Actually, the Gap does violate scripture. According to Ezekiel 28 Satan did not fall until after Eden was created.

God said He created everything in six days, not created it then destroyed it, then re-created it with what was left. Genesis 2:4 says, "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,". The Bible says that Genesis contains "the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created". That says it all. It's God's words. I believe 'em.
  #53  
Old 09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
herami
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Genesis 2:4 says, "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,". The Bible says that Genesis contains "the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created". That says it all. It's God's words. I believe 'em.
hmmmm...
that's interesting, isn't it?
"the generations of the heavens and of the earth..."

The word "generations" is a term of LINEAGE.
It implies an ANCESTRY of the heavens and earth that we now know.
  #54  
Old 09-22-2008, 04:49 PM
atlas's Avatar
atlas atlas is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 463
Default

Josh,

Quote:
Genesis 2:4 says, "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,". The Bible says that Genesis contains "the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created". That says it all. It's God's words. I believe 'em.

Thank for the information. I'll study that out also. At face value it looks like it is further Bible evidence against the gap theory. That fits in with every verse I have posted is issue. The more you study, the better it looks.



Atlas
  #55  
Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM
herami
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey Atlas,

The gap theory is not a point of contention with me.
As I have said, I am not completely convinced of it and I have already acknowledge that there are some questions against the theory that I have not found answers to.

However, there are also some strong and compelling Scriptural arguments FOR a possible gap in Gen. 1 that the serious Bible student should not casually brush aside.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone of a gap. But it does us well to search out all matters when they pertain to Scripture, especially if they might possible help us delve a bit deeper into the vast expanse of the treasures of wisdom and knowledge that are hid in Christ.

I'm simply presenting some of the substantial support that I have found in my studies in this area. I think they are worthy of consideration.

Blessings, brother.
  #56  
Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
George's Avatar
George George is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I know this was a few pages back, but it was something that caught my attention. Actually, the Gap does violate scripture. According to Ezekiel 28 Satan did not fall until after Eden was created.

God said He created everything in six days, not created it then destroyed it, then re-created it with what was left. Genesis 2:4 says, "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,". The Bible says that Genesis contains "the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created". That says it all. It's God's words. I believe 'em.

Aloha Josh,

Please quote Scripture not just cite - Ezekiel 28 {???}. Give us some verses for our edification. When you "refute" a doctrine, we need more than "According to Ezekiel 28 Satan did not fall until after Eden was created." We need Scripture not "opinion". Is the "Prince" [Ezekiel 28:2-10] of Tyrus the same as the "King" [Ezekiel 28:12-19] of Tyrus?
  #57  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Josh's Avatar
Josh Josh is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 125
Default

Actually, hereami, it says that "these are the generations", meaning that it just laid out the generations for us to see.

"Generations" doesn't always mean there was a prior ancestry. Look at the "generations of Adam", he had no human father. He was created by God, yet the Bible starts with him and goes on down the line, and calls it his generations. It all depends on the context, and here that is that the generations are laid out for us to see.
  #58  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
herami
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Actually, hereami, it says that "these are the generations", meaning that it just laid out the generations for us to see.

Yes, exactly!
The generations are laid out, which means the GENERATIONS of the heavens and earth are given in Genesis chapter 1, as the gap theory suggests.

The gap theory states that the heavens and earth of Gen 1:2ff were GENERATED from the heaven and earth of Genesis 1:1.




Quote:
"Generations" doesn't always mean there was a prior ancestry. Look at the "generations of Adam", he had no human father. He was created by God, yet the Bible starts with him and goes on down the line, and calls it his generations. It all depends on the context, and here that is that the generations are laid out for us to see.
OK, so since it is stated that "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens" wouldn't that mean those generations have been laid out in chapter 1?

Isn't that what you stated in your first parargraph?
  #59  
Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Josh's Avatar
Josh Josh is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lebanon, OH
Posts: 125
Default

The problem with that reasoning is that a "gap" is not laid out in Genesis. Some people think there must be one, because of the way it goes to verse 2. I've read a lot of verses that seem like an odd jump, but that doesn't mean something must be missing and I have to figure it out and insert it.

It says that the generations were laid out. A gap is not laid out anywhere in this book, nor anywhere else in the Bible.
  #60  
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Luke's Avatar
Luke Luke is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 594
Default

I have my own theory of the gap, but it's not in Genesis 1:1 and 1:2

Noone ever listens to me when I explain this

In between Genesis 2 and 3 is a gap. Maybe a few years, maybe a few hundred. But in that time, Adam and Eve have daughters and sons. In Genesis 3:20, Adam calls his wife Eve, because she was the mother of all living. But their first child recorded born is not until Genesis 4, after they leave the garden.

So in between Genesis 2 and 3, I propose a gap where Adam and Eve had children, and were obedient to God in replenishing the earth.

What happened to these people? I don't know. When Adam sinned, it says sin came upon all men, so I assume they were cursed as well, or maybe even destroyed, or, perhaps, they were not cursed, and God took them.

There are a lot of holes in this theory obviously. Like, What about the tree of life? Did anyone eat of it? Was it's effects permanent or only temporary.

Food for thought.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®, Copyright vBulletin Solutions Inc.

Website © AV1611.Com.
Posts represent only the opinions of users of this forum and do not necessarily represent the opinions of the webmaster.

Software for Believing Bible Study

 
Contact Us AV1611.Com