Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Default Bible College

I live in E TN. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good Bible college around me. One that taught the truth. Not some liberal, NIV school.
Thanks,
Clint Boyer

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 AM

Knoxville area or where? There are quite a few to pick from.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 AM

Your best bet is going to be correspondence school through the Bible Doctrines Institute (TBDI) or Charity Baptist (a few disagreements; but Bro. Estep is no longer in charge). Most colleges around (Crown, PCC, West Coast, Golden State) are not worth a fart in a windstorm.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 AM

Hyles Anderson and Crown are two great colleges that I would recommend
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Hyles Anderson and Crown are two great colleges that I would recommend
But stay away from these two colleges if you like Ruckman...
Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb6445 View Post
I live in E TN. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good Bible college around me. One that taught the truth. Not some liberal, NIV school.
Thanks,
Clint Boyer

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Aloha brother Clint,

My advice to you is to SKIP Bible College. With a wife and three kids you've got far too much responsibility to them (which is just as important as going off to some "School" or "College" (if there are any "good" ones left) to get a Bible education.

If you are called of God - you don't need "schooling" - what you need is STUDY! (and you can do that on your own - 2Timothy 2:15). All you need is your King James Bible; a good electronic Concordance (Swordsearcher is excellent!); a list of books and authors that are the "best" in their particular field (instead of 5-10 copy-cats) - I can suggest some; and if you can find a good Bible believing church (with genuine Bible believing elders/pastors) to help you, you'll be on your way (you can "practice" your "craft" in a church that will appreciate your efforts and not put you down because you may not be sophisticated or polished enough).

Your wife and children are God's gifts to you - you cannot neglect them to fulfill your "calling".

Having been blessed with 7 children and a Proverbs 31 wife, I can testify to you that they are part of your ministry. They can help you grow as an individual and as an Evangelist. My wife has been a sure companion and a faithful friend to me for 47 1/2 years and, unlike Job's wife, she has been a true "help-mate" in every sense of the word.

You need to set aside "time" to study and although you are probably anxious to get into full-time Evangelism, you need to be patient and thoroughly grounded in the FOUNDATION of the Holy word of God, before going about your calling full-time.

I have built around 100 houses in my life time - I always built a good FOUNDATION before I proceeded with the house! You should not begin the work that God has called you to without a GOOD FOUNDATION in the Holy word of God first.

The Disciples (Apostles) had 3 1/2 years of training (and study) with the Lord (Notice - they did not attend "School"). It seems that in addition to Paul's "schooling", he needed about 3 years STUDY before he went out to do the work that God called him to.

The following is a link to some comments I made about "schooling" on this Forum a little while ago in answer to the question: "Is Bible College/Institute necessary?" <> http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...0&postcount=18

In addition to the information on that link, you should also be aware:

1. Most of the “teaching” that takes place within these “institutions” is an “Academic Exercise” in whatever particular Denomination or Sect the School represents. And the teaching methods are “Theological Constructs” (such as: “Systematic Theology”) instead of a genuine (heart directed) search for the truth. Both teaching methods are aimed at the mind – instead of the heart - which in the end produces graduates that have little or no trust in God or in God’s words (since men believe only with their heart, not with their mind!). “Academic Exercises” and “Theological Constructs” are very poor “substitutes” for the “experiential” teaching and learning that takes place within a genuine Bible believing church {the only Scriptural “Institution” that God created to teach and preach His word, and to prepare men for the Ministry.}

2. Christ did not die for a “SCHOOL” - He died for the CHURCH; And He made no provision for SCHOOLS in the Scriptures when He called the Apostle Paul to preach the Gospel and set up New Testament churches wherever he traveled. Christ’s CHURCH is supposed to be the “pillar and ground of the truth” – not a SCHOOL! Christ is THE HEAD of His body (the CHURCH) – A man (or men) is the HEAD of a SCHOOL! Why do you suppose that when most “Bible School” graduates start churches that a man becomes the head of the church? Could it be because that is all they have ever known – from the example set by the school they attended?

Quote:
1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
The early New Testament church (referred to by many as the “primitive” church) was an “ORGANISM” (a “BODY”) – Spiritual in Nature. Paul referred to it as a great mystery.
Quote:
This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Ephesians 5:32. [Context -Ephesians 5:23-32]
A New Testament church is meant to FUNCTION as a BODYNOT A BUSINESS – loving one another and having the same love for one another; caring for each other and having the same care for each other; having one mind; (having Christ’s mind). The New Testament church is a BODY with THE LORD JESUS CHRIST as its only HEAD. Anyone claiming to be that head (pastors-elders-bishops-etc.) are PRETENDERS and USURPERS and THIEVES and ROBBERS!

When a church (any church) becomes an “ORGANIZATION” (worldly in nature & form) It will, at some point, cease to function as an “ORGANISM” and inevitably start down the irreversible road to apostasy.

Any church can emulate the “FORM” (copy certain practices of the early New Testament church) without actually performing the Scriptural PURPOSE and FUNCTION that God intended for his BODY.

After studying the following church histories: Schaff’s, LaTourette’s, Eardmann’s, Cunningham’s, Dollars, Ruckman’s, and various others; some historical facts become evident:
  • Every church (and School) established from 33 A.D. up to 1900 has apostatized (without one exception).
  • Almost all of those churches have simply disappeared.
  • All of the few churches that have remained until today - are false and counterfeit.
  • Apostasy always (without exception) began with the church “leadership” (most trained in "Schools").
  • Most of the church “leadership” came from the “intelligentsia” or the “educated” class (most trained in "Schools").
  • Most of the ordinary Christians blindly followed the church “leaders.
  • Concerned Christians were powerless to stop a church from going apostate.
NO CHURCH {OR SCHOOL} HAS EVER RECOVERED FROM APOSTASY!

[This also holds true for every so-called “Christian” Organization (Institution) created by men.]

There is a “pattern” that all (without exception) Christian churches (and schools) have gone through (and are still going through today) “Doctrinal” – just a “little” Leaven – a Turning Away – Apostasy Reprobate! No amount of rules, regulations, ordinances, edicts, restrictions, or laws have been able to prevent Apostasy. And no amount of compromise can bring a church (or school) back from it.

Revelation 2:5
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

1Samuel 4:21
And she named the child Ichabod, saying, The glory is departed from Israel: because the ark of God was taken, and because of her father in law and her husband.
And she said, The glory is departed from Israel: for the ark of God is taken.

1Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. {Anathema Maranatha = “accursed until the Lord returns”.}

If I appear to be down on "Schools" and "Schooling" it's only because I have read enough church history to know that "SCHOOL" is the place where nearly all of the APOSTASY that has taken place within the church of God - STARTS!

No matter what their good intentions and motives are - it just seems that "Scribes" (Teachers/Professors) just can't keep their hands off the Holy words of God! (Witness practically every so-called Fundamentalist "school" in America in the last 50-60 years.)

Over the years I have observed a certain phenomena concerning the Holy Bible and men {Saved & Lost <> "schooled" or otherwise}:

Atheists and unbelievers subtract from the word of God - since they have no regard for it.

Coincidentally - “ChristianEducators and Scholars tend to generally SUBTRACT from the word of God also.
{Actually physically removing verses and words from the Holy Bible – Just like unbelievers!}

ChristianLeaders in the churches (pastors, elders, etc.) tend to ADD to God’s word.
{Adding their own laws, ordinances, and vain traditions to the words of the Holy Bible}

The operation and undertaking of SUBTRACTING from and ADDING to the Bible has just one ultimate goal in mind – Substituting the authority of men (over Christians) in place of the words of God by undermining the Authority of the Scriptures!

If you decide to go ahead and attend a "Bible" School or College, I hope you will keep in mind these warnings I have posted here. It's possible to go to these Institutions and remain true to God and His Holy word, but, "it ain't easy" - what with the "respect of persons" and the "little leaven" that is present in almost all of the "Bible" Schools of today. {witness some of their "attendees" or "graduates" that visit this Forum every so often!}

Whatever you decide to do always keep in mind that:

The purpose of the Scriptures is 1st. - to reveal the person of God to man; and 2nd. to reveal His will to man.

The purpose of God's servants (elders, pastors, deacons, evangelists) is to 1st. - to serve God; and 2nd. to serve God's people. {"Ye cannot serve God and mammon"}

The Scriptures are of paramount importance to God and to man because: ". . . . It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. [
Matthew 4:4]

Whenever you preach or teach the Scriptures your ultimate goal should be to bring people unto Christ - 1st. for salvation; and 2nd. for living the Christ filled life. {Although the Scriptures are of "paramount importance" and we are to treasure and honor His word - Ultimately we do not worship A Book, we are to worship Almighty God and glorify His Son - within a Scriptural context.}

If you will remember:

Quote:
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
You will be both a faithful and profitable servant to God.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:19 PM

Why Do Fundamental Schools Go Apostate?

This could also go under the thread Recommended Reading.
This book by Don Jasmin chronicles the apostasy of the Northfield-Mt. Hermon Schools founded by D.L. Moody.

http://www.fundamentalbaptistministr...hives/Book.htm

This focuses on Moody's school, but is a great example of where all institutions of men eventually go.

Dr. Jasmin's bi monthly Fundamental Digest usually chronicles many schools and the mire of apostasy they have become. Always an excellent read.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Wow Bro George, a lot of good points to consider and pray about before heading off to Bible college!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Brother George, thank you once again, many points you have addressed for school, hold very true for just plain every day existence with our daily contact with everyone. Marvelous how you can make things just seem so clear.
Bless you!!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:06 PM

Brother George, thank you again for taking the time to share some wisdom with us. It's so true about the apostate nature of churches. I've seen it happen in the history of the Mennonite. No matter how much authority the bishops or pastors excercise they all have ended in apostasy. The thing I've noticed is how the liberal groups dog on church splits so heavily, and fail to see that the reason these churches split (usually) is because one group wants to remain faithful and the other wants to adopt heresies and or go apostate. The Mennonite history is splattered with splits and now today you can find Old Order Mennonite up in Quebec Canada and extremely liberal mennonite congregations all over the USA. But thanks be to God that Jesus Christ spoke the solution to all our problems:

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (John 17:17 KJV)

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen