Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
Sis Jen,

Forgive me if I don't quite understand the point of your post. Were you correcting me? Supporting me? Or??? Not sure that I understand. Sorry about that. Can you help clarify the reason for your post, sis?

Thanks!
Jassy
I was using your insights to make a point, sis, absolutely in agreement with you. About scribes and pharisees. Jesus pronounced Woe upon them because they could not be saved. They didn't see their need.

Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Never mind.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Sis. Renee,

Quote:
As you can see, here we are speaking of The Lord's Supper. When we eat unworthily The Lord judges us as only He knows our hearts. Ye also judge yourself for you know your own heart.
Amen sister! Only the Lord can judge our hearts...Before the Lord's Supper one is to examine his heart for any unconfessed sins. If you take the Lord's Supper unworthily and push aside that sin you will be calling God's judgment upon you and you make the church weak, sickly and sleep among you. The context here is the church. If there are people that are bringing God's judgment down on themselves by keeping their sins unconfessed then it WILL have an effect on the whole church.

I guess I didn't make myself clear...If we were to examine our hearts and confess our sins and repent, it would never get to the point of the gross sin mentioned I Cor. 5.
There would not be widely reported fornication or covetousness needing dealt with.
Also, another application to this Scripture is if we would all focus on our own hearts and not glaring around the church at all the people we think have problems then would there be no opportunity for "church discipline" so to speak.

Thank you sister! Great point!

Quote:
By the Book! God has given some more wisdom, discernment and understanding then others. I'm simple, these three previous things I covet. I do not desire knowledge as some do for knowledge tends to puff up people and is only for the brain.
Amen sister...I am very thankful for the leaders in our church. Had we felt they were not full of discernment, understanding and wisdom we would have certainly gone elsewhere.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I do seek knowledge of the Bible. I am sorry to say I've not always felt that way...But recently I've been convicted of these passages:

2 Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I Thes 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Isa 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.

I am sure it's been obvious that I have been mega posting LoL I have probably spent a little too much time on here, but it is our summer break and I have really been trying to enjoy this summer as we don't usually take a summer break. I do not have tv or do anything else that is my "me" time so I enjoy chatting here.

Quote:
I am blessed that I have an Elder/Husband to ask questions of at home and do not have to bring unlearned and foolish questions that gender strife to this
forum. The wife of an Elder should render him due honor so the Church by her example can believe that the Words he brings forth are truth.
AMEN! You are truly blessed! I am have a similar testimony. My husband and I have not enjoyed more lively and exciting Bible study in a long time! For that he is grateful for this forum...He has helped me understand so many things that have been discussed...I would be totally in the dark were it not for him. My husband is in full support of my activities here and we talk about these things daily. Were it not for my husband and his teachings at church and at home I am certain to not be as interested in these things at all. PTL!

Thank you for your comments!

Be blessed
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Sis Amanda,

I was just going to post something about taking Scripture out-of-context... then sis Renee blessedly did so before I. We do need to be careful - we have to look at the Scriptures that come before and after any that we quote, in order to be certain that those Scriptures actually apply - and we're not wrongly applying them out-of-context.

If someone quotes a Scripture, or a passage of Scriptures, oftentimes, I will go back and read not only the entire chapter, but the entire BOOK - to get the true context. We need to understand historically WHO was being addressed, WHO was doing the writing, and WHAT the REASON was for the writing.

The members of the church at Corinth came out of abject paganry. They had been immersed in it as a LIFESTYLE. It had been all they knew. That lifestyle included worship of false gods and goddesses, including sexual rituals that involved the various gods/goddesses. If you go and visit that area today, you can do historical studies about what the Church at Corinth had been like and what kind of lifestyle those believers came from. It would be enough to make us cringe!!

So, after following that lifestyle, and BELIEVING in what Paul preached, they were SAVED. Were they still falling back into that lifestyle? Unfortunately, yes. According to Paul's letter to the Church at Corinth, many were still involved in that lifestyle. Were they going to LOSE their salvation over it? NO! They were already SAVED. Remember Christ came to save SINNERS - not the PURE.

He was admonishing them since they were representative of the Church - the Body of Christ - and as another of Paul's letters stated, these things should not ONCE be named among them, as Believers. (That was, of course to the Church at Ephesius (Eph. 5).

Was Paul JUDGING them? It was more of a WARNING. They weren't going to be seeing any awards in heaven if they were falling back into that lifestyle!

There are some - Calvinists, I assume - that would declare that the sinner LOST their salvation. But Paul NEVER said that. Look how he ADDRESSED his letter!! I go back to his very first opening address to the Church at Corinth.

1 Corinthians 1:1 - Paul called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's:
3 Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
4 I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ;
5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;
6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called into the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

Whew! And going on................... very interesting!!!

10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I am of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

In the same judgment. SEE it? Not that we each judge what we THINK we ought to judge - but according to the Word of God - in AGREEMENT with all Believers.

As was also pointed out by sis Renee, we have to judge RIGHTEOUS judgment.

Jassy
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 PM

Sis. Jassy,

Totally in agreement! Paul gives the church guidelines as I stated on what to judge...

I am not suggesting any one lost their salvation, or were warned, judged, discerned against (?) because they smoked or shaved their head or wore too much make up...LoL Paul gave us the examples.

If we judged unrighteously shame on us!

If we judged according to our whims, wicked!

Amen and Amen...
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
1 Cor.11:31 "For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged."

I don't see myself as a thing! I am a person!

No, but seriously!

Judging people is very necessary for their own good - if it is done from a pure heart with the intent of restoring someone.

Mt.7:1-5 "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye

Our Lord id obvioulsly telling people to "Judge correctly" rather than hypocritically - He is not warning to cease from judging, but doing so with a pure heart.

God bless

PaulB
Yep, the quoted scriptures from Matthew were said to the "multitude" and showed what the Scribes and Pharisees were doing, because they were so focused on outward appearances, that they weren't look at their own inward heart in judging. Their MOTIVATION for doing so was wrong (to point out the sins of others, so that they might appear to be "better")... and so was their ATTITUDE (self-righteousness).

Yes, judging ourselves - if we are honest within ourselves, we know our sins better than anyone. Judging others has a tendency to lead to hypocrisy because, face it, we are ALL sinners and we were in that same condition, that sinful state, where we could be led to sin in that same way. So, coming down hard on someone for their sins is not always advisable... but judging a RIGHTEOUS judgment IS always advisable.

Jassy
Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
I was using your insights to make a point, sis, absolutely in agreement with you. About scribes and pharisees. Jesus pronounced Woe upon them because they could not be saved. They didn't see their need.

Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Never mind.
Thanks sis Jen,

When I reread it, I understood. Sorry for my sometimes SLOW mind! Things occasionally take time to sink in! LOL

Jassy
Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 PM

No problem, Sister Jassy. See, if you were inside my mind (scary thought, I know) you could follow my line of thinking with no trouble at all.

P.S. You were blazing hot, sister.

Last edited by greenbear; 07-30-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Acceptable/Unacceptable

Hi sister Jassy,

Sorry I beat you to the punch. It really bugs me when someone twist and wrest the scriptures. I read a lot of the post that are posted. I find that a lot of post in some threads I prefer to be quiet on, infact I ignore whole threads after reading the first few post. I do have this thing though, when I see that George or Brandon has posted I do go check it out.

There is much wisdom and discernment and understanding in both yours and Greenbear's post and I preceive that behind the post is a meek and quiet spirit.

1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

May The Lord bless you,

Renee

Looks like this thread has morphed again!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Renee and Jassy,

I pray the Lord to give me a meek and quiet spirit. I have a zeal for the truth but in this I am lacking. I still respond carnally at times. I thank God for your and JaeByrd's "ensamples".

Jen
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Sis Jassy,

And one more thing. You are NOT allowed to start any more threads!