General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 PM

Default Capitalizing certain words

I've noticed while reading my Bible, that sometimes words like 'he' and 'him' when used in reference to God or Jesus are capitalized, and other times they are not.
Now, obviously words like 'God', 'Jesus', 'Lord' and 'Holy Spirit' are proper pronouns, and ought to be capitalized according to good English grammar.
But sometimes Jesus Christ our Lord will be referred to with a 'him' or 'he' in the scriptures. I heard it said that the Catholic Bible-changers are prone to playing around with capitalizing things that ought not to be, and the modern versions take this pretty far too, like capitalizing words like 'name', 'the one' and others.

My question is, what is the correct rule for deciding whether to cap or not to cap when there is not a clear scriptural or grammatical precedent?

Also, I always capitalize the word 'Bible', except when referring to a modern perversion, but what say ye? ...

The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainBibleBeliever514 View Post
My question is, what is the correct rule for deciding whether to cap or not to cap when there is not a clear scriptural or grammatical precedent?
Suffer me to make it even more confusing:

Genesis 1:5-10 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so. And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

In our King James Bible note that 5 words in this portion of the creation narrative are in caps (aside from the word "God" and the first letter of proper sentences). I believe the reason this was done was to call the readers attention to terms in the Bible that will appear in different contexts.

For example, the word "Day" can be used to express:
a. A day of the week.
b. A time in prophecy, not necessarily 24 hours long.
c. Physical light.
d. Spiritual light.

The word Night can be:
a. The dark part of a day.
b. A time of darkness in prophecy, not necessarily 24 hours long.
c. Physical darkness.
d. Spiritual darkness.

The word Heaven can be:
a. The air above the Earth
b. The vastness of space
c. The abode of God's throne
(There are three heavens)

The word Earth:
a. The planet, as a whole
b. The land

The word Seas:
a. There are seas on the surface of the earth.
b. There is a "sea" between the second and third heaven.
c. There are roaring seas that represent peoples in prophecy.

I'm sure I missed a few, but I think you get the idea. I hope this is helpful.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Gee Geologist, you sure have clarified it ! lol!

Those are interesting points, kind of like the first mention law, but for words, not things or concepts.

In the other thread similar to this one (started almost the same time), peopleoftheway pointed out that the Holy Spirit within us will show us the meaning of the text when actually reading the Bible, and I have zero qualms about how a word appears in the AV.

Here is an interesting article I read a while back and it made me curious about the minor changes between editions:
http://www.biblebelievers.com/believ...rfeit-kjv.html
Kind of makes me wonder just how bad it really is. If editing of the 1611 (not revising) is ok, then are these types of discrepancies be inconsequential, or not? I don't own a PCE -yet- but I got myself a TBS straight text from avpublications.com thinking it would be as close to the purest I could find at the time.

My inquiry was more about when we ourselves use these various words in our own writings, is it safe and sound to capitalize basically everything when in doubt, or is there a rule, considering those cases where the scriptural precedent can go eitheer way.
Specifically, 'he', 'him' and 'his' when in referrence to God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit. Also should I continue capitalizing the word Bible when in referrence to the AV1611?

I know this may be trivial, but I've always wondered inthe back of my mind if this practise is correct.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 AM

The rules for capitalizing pronouns when referring to God have changed since the printing of the KJB. If you are writing/typing the words "he/his/him" and referring to God, then based on modern accepted rules of English, the pronouns should be capitalized. The "B" in Bible follows the same rule. It shows respect. Now some do not capitalize the "b" when referring to other books besides the KJB. I consider that a personal preference, because the rule has to do with respect. Note that the word "bible" itself is borrowed for other non-religious uses, such as "The Plumber's Bible", etc.

I never capitalize the "s" in satan when I use the name, just to diss him.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Forum Administrator

I do not capitalize "he" in reference to God because it is poor English to do so. "He" (upper-case he) in the middle of a sentence means helium.

It is a personal pronoun, not a proper noun, and should not be capitalized. God's name is Jehova, not "he." God's titles are God, Lord, Saviour, etc, not "he."

That said, it's not something I'd build a doctrine on. Just a pet peeve of mine -- almost all modern bibles editorialize with capitalized "he" and I have no desire to follow their lead.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 AM

I was capitalizing "He/His?Him" when referring to God out of respect for Him long before the MVs started doing it. They have followed my lead.

I also capitalize LORD, as in the OT form even though the NT does not.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Here's two that have always left me curious.

Exod. 15:17 Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O LORD, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the Sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established.

Exod. 16:34 As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

I fully agree with the lower case "h" (etc.) in he/him... just as is proper. It's also proper to write with a small "w" when referring to the word of God. There's only one Word of God, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ himself. Amen!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:17 AM

Yeah that Word/word thing frustrates me :P

I see it all the time, especially in statements of faith. They have the same Word that was crucified being turned into paper and translated from the "original languages".
Old 04-17-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
Here's two that have always left me curious.

Exod. 15:17 Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O LORD, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the Sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established.

Exod. 16:34 As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.

I fully agree with the lower case "h" (etc.) in he/him... just as is proper. It's also proper to write with a small "w" when referring to the word of God. There's only one Word of God, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ himself. Amen!
Quote:
Yeah that Word/word thing frustrates me :P

I see it all the time, especially in statements of faith. They have the same Word that was crucified being turned into paper and translated from the "original languages".
I capitalise W sometimes, cant really say if its a conscious thing as I thought that it was honouring to Christ to magnify his word above his name, I will most certainly start using a lowercase w if W offends a brother in Christ.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM

I certainly don't intend to offend anyone with my choice of capitalization, but out of respect for God's Word, also called the Bible or the Scriptures, and His magnification of it in Psalm 138:2, I capitalize it when used as a title. We have no problem in capitalizing Holy Bible, or King James Bible, or King James Version, or Authorized Version. Those are all titles given by men to the book that is also called the Scriptures or the Word of God or God's Word. It in no way diminishes the LORD Jesus who is the Living Word of God. It in no way takes from His Glory.

My apologies to those who are bothered by my position. It is not done casually with lack of attention or purpose.

A note about the comment about "the paper". When I show respect to the Bible, it is not the physical material that is being honored. That is where the "electronic" problem becomes an issue. I do treat my physical Bible carefully, but it is not because it is hallowed. I do not believe that any who capitalize "Word of God" or "God's Word" in their statement of faith are reverencing the physical printed page but what is printed thereon.

Last edited by Brother Tim; 04-17-2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: further thoughts