Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 AM
William P

Default Can one loose there salvation?

Some people here seem to think you can loose your salvation.
We know the verses that says that salvation is eternal, eternal life, shall never perish, ect, but here are some more verses that teach it as well.

John 20:27 My (Jesus) sheep hear my voice, and I KNOW THEM, and they follow me:
We know that saved people are his sheep and Jesus knows them.

Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Some people use these scriptures to prove you can loose salvation but look closley, these people here Jesus profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: so these people could not have been saved to begin with or that would make Jesus a liar for saying that he did once know them John 20:27.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, What day?
Just who are these people that Jesus is referring to?

Rev 20:11-15 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

The people Jesus NEVER knew are the ones in front of him at the great white throne judgement. If there are people there that was once saved and then going to the lake of fire that would make Jesus a liar for saying I NEVER KNEW YOU when in fact he did once KNOW THEM
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM

William,

We have a few post on this topic. Try looking for them. Some have some very good information.

Atlas
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William P View Post
Some people here seem to think you can loose your salvation.

Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
What a wonderful salvation.
Romans 8:37-39 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
By the way, if someone were to ask you, Brother William, how would you answer this portion of Matthew 7:21?

Quote:
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
By the way, if someone were to ask you, Brother William, how would you answer this portion of Matthew 7:21?

Quote:
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Forrest that is an excellent question brother.
Matthew contains a lot of potentinal land mines with reference to salvation, because of the dispensation Christ was speaking in.

Actually, I have had people pull that verse on me, (Jehovah's Witnesses will use this verse) and I tell them the "Will of the Father" is to simply ACCEPT SALVATION as a free gift. (Eph. 2:8-9)

Then, I would whip out 2 Peter 3:9...

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, NOT WILLING that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Then I would cap it off by showing them exactly what God's WILL is for their life:

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
Who WILL HAVE ALL MEN TO BE SAVED, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth."
(I tim 2:3-4)

Religion says: DO, DO, DO, KEEP DOING....

The Gospel says: IT IS DONE. IT IS FINISHED! TRUST CHRIST!

I would think that many of the evil people in Noah's day cried out to God when the rain got over their knees: "OH GOD, THIS IS %#&@ TERRIBLE," "OH LORD I HATE THIS %&@#$% WATER IT'S AWFUL!"
Let's not forget, God's name can be used as a curse.

(by the way please forgive me if those above phrases are offensive but hopefully you get the point)

Christ was drawing a contrast between those who simply cry out God's name, and those who have DONE GOD'S WILL, by trusting in Christ's Blood!

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 12-17-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Bro. Parrish

Sorry I had to take a break there,
let me pick it up again with the last statement I made above, and I need to correct something I wrote with the following which I believe is a better statement with regard to the dispensation...

Christ was drawing a contrast between those who simply cry out God's name, and those who have DONE GOD'S WILL, by trusting God's plan for atonement... (His blood had not yet been shed)

So in Matthew 7, Christ shows us that even very religious people (actually false prophets in this context) who THINK they are saved, must submit to God's plan of salvation. In this Age of Grace today, they must submit to the Gospel. (Romans 10:3)

Okay, sorry I hope that's clear...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
Sorry I had to take a break there,
let me pick it up again with the last statement I made above, and I need to correct something I wrote with the following which I believe is a better statement with regard to the dispensation...

Christ was drawing a contrast between those who simply cry out God's name, and those who have DONE GOD'S WILL, by trusting God's plan for atonement... (His blood had not yet been shed)

So in Matthew 7, Christ shows us that even very religious people (actually false prophets in this context) who THINK they are saved, must submit to God's plan of salvation. In this Age of Grace today, they must submit to the Gospel. (Romans 10:3)

Okay, sorry I hope that's clear...
Those were some good scripture references you gave with some sound exhortation, Brother. I actually asked William the question to stimulate some study. I think a lot of Christians could not give an answer to the "works" oriented folks who distort the words "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

I also like:
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Bro. Parrish

Wow John 6:40... yes, that is an excellent verse.
I only wish I would have remembered it!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Amen Bro. Parrish,

I believe this verse can also be referring to all the false religions, TV preachers, etc., of today that don't know what it really means to be S-A-V-E-D.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Bro. Parrish

Very true Tom, I have often thought of Mat. 7:21-23 as one of the most frightening passages in the Bible, because it describes very religious people who are doing good deeds and actually THINK they are saved. Clearly, they are trusting their "many wonderful works," only in the end to be told in vs. 23:
"I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
How horrible and sad to see people so totally deceived, blinded by the god of this world.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." 2 Corinthians 4:3-4