Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schwenke View Post
Do you have a Scripture for that?

I Cor. 11:20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord’s supper. [Oh, so it IS legitimate to call it the Lord's supper!]
21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. [So the Lord's supper is distinct from our own meals!]
22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not. [if you want to eat a meal, eat it at home. the Lord's supper is a distinct memorial, not a big fellowship gathering to stuff ourselves!]
23 ¶ For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: [Yikes! this instruction is coming directly from the Lord!!!]
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come. [v. 23-26 are rehearsals of what happened on that night before Jesus was crucified]
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. [now we move into the present instruction concerning the Lord's supper]
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

Paul makes a distinction between our ordinary "fellowship" meals, and a particular meal that HE terms "the Lord's supper." He uses the terms "this bread, this cup, that bread, that cup" to distinguish it from all others. He is speaking of a particular meal that we as believers are to partake of. We are to partake of it for the expressed purpose in v. 26.
The passage condemns those who were pretending to observe "the Lord's supper" without consideration for the poor who could bring nothing to the table. So the rich excluded the poor; the rich stuffed themselves, and the poor went hungry in their pretend observation.
Paul corrects that, reminds them that (1) there IS a thing called "the Lord's supper", (2) it is to be observed by all in the church, with no regard to economy, (3) it was a simple observation that reminds us of the broken body of Christ, and the blood that was shed, which are seen in the bread and grape juice.
Sorry my Baptist buddy, I don't reply to banned former members who also can't understand Isaiah 28:9-13.

Grace and peace

Tony
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Parish,

Ever hear of the old adage you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar?

look back to your quote i have underlined your vinegar. if you ever want to help edify and help try not using such in your posts.

you posted two thing that needed not been said at all and would of made for peace. if infer he is confused (personal opinion) he hacks (personal attack) both these terms belittled him and you knew they would.

so does that sound like a true Christians Character?

If he is causing division or teaching a false teaching what are you to do?

Argue? ridicule?

your are to rebuke. if he doesn't respond you are to not have anything to do with him.

or you are just to press the ignore button in your cp and have don't fellowship via the post.

you show no christian character what so ever? so let me ask you, "Why don't we see Christ in you?"
Chette, one reason I stopped arguing after the long messages I've spent hours researching and typing is simply because I am NOT going to read people's Bible for them. Each man(and woman) is going to have to be fully persuaded in their own minds. If someone is going to be confronted with the clear Scripture with Scripture teaching on a given precept and then stay with their Baptist or otherwise denominational teaching over the Scriptures, I'm not going to slash anyone's tires. Bro. Parrish insisted on parroting Ruckman's lie that "hyper-dry cleaners" are "out to destroy Baptist churches". Baptists are doing quite well with their own compromises on the version issue and internal squabbles in destroying their own churches themselves with my, Pastor Jordan, or Stam's help if that were our purpose, which it's not .

Grace and peace to you brother

Tony
Old 07-16-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybones2112 View Post
Bro. Parrish insisted on parroting Ruckman's lie that "hyper-dry cleaners" are "out to destroy Baptist churches".
Well, Brother Tony, it's actually TRUE, but may not be always true. If it's no longer true now, well, it was true in the past -- although again, not all.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM

I don't think I'll affiliate or align myself with any particular church of today. I can't say I'm a Baptist - because I've never baptized anyone. I can't tolerate manmade teachings, such as Calvinism. Some people might think that I'm being too picky and choosy - and that I ought to join SOME church, just for the fellowshipping with believers. Yet, every time I've stepped foot into a church, I get the oddest, most UNcomfortable feeling that these people are NOT believers. They're just church-goers - self-holified attenders of a church building, not the Body of Christ.

More important to me is Bible reading and study and prayer. Rather than attend a church which would immerse me in possibly false teachings; today, it seems more adviseable to seek a small group of believers to meet at home.

The best I can do is pray for the Lord to lead me to the right church - one where I can fully understand what is being preached (I'd need someone skilled in sign language) and where what is being preached is the TRUTH.

Jassy
Old 07-16-2009, 04:50 PM

Jassy, sometimes it sounds like you are me! I've noticed this from back when we first joined this board a day or so apart from each other. Perhaps the Lord will lead you to a home church where someone is proficient in ASL.

Just like I've never before found a church I could attend (since I learned what's what, that is), I have also not found another christian forum that I could stomach. This one is not like any others that I have seen out there. Most of the active guys here have made it into a place where for the most part you can discuss and learn from the word of God without having to sift through garbage to get at it. Praise God for the addition of PaulB, Ripdood, Cloudwalker, and Brother-Smith, among others. And POTW is back, too!

Last edited by greenbear; 07-16-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
Jassy, sometimes it sounds like you are me! I've noticed this from back when we first joined this board a day or so apart from each other. Perhaps the Lord will lead you to a home church where someone is proficient in ASL.

Just like I've never before found a church I could attend (since I learned what's what, that is), I have also not found another christian forum that I could stomach. This one is not like any others that I have seen out there. Most of the active guys here have made it into a place where for the most part you can discuss and learn from the word of God without having to sift through garbage to get at it. Praise God for the addition of PaulB, Ripdood, Cloudwalker, and Brother-Smith, among others. And POTW is back, too!
Amen sis! God's hand was in it - as His hand is in the lives of all believers. I am very thankful that we met and it's very interesting that we finally found a Forum that is accountable to the TRUTH and is not afraid to speak it! It's gotta be the hand of God that we joined just a day or so apart and we are so much alike in our beliefs and mindset (on Christ).

I also am praising God for the new additions to the Forum - it is such a blessing to have brothers and sisters that uplift the truth!

Jassy
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM

I've always understood that an "ordinance" is what we would call a ceremony today.

The only 2 ceremonies given for the church age is baptism and the Lord's Supper.

At first glance that is my humble thoughts, but I am interested in looking more into this.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 AM

Amanda,

maybe a new set of eyes would do us good. Have you ever found a bible verse in Paul's writings where he tells us how to baptize, when, and most importantly he calls it an ordinance?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM

Good morning Chette

Quote:
Have you ever found a bible verse in Paul's writings where he tells us how to baptize....?
Paul did not write this, but this passage is a great example of "how" to baptize

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

John 3:23
And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Matthew 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

Water Baptism is to be a figure of the Spirit Baptism...

I Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

At least that is my understanding to the "How"...Looking forward to studying the when and why's
Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM

yeah but the Gospel of Philip was the kingdom Gospel you will notice that Eunuch believes Jesus is God not that he died for his sins. the preaching of Jesus from Isa on was still proving that he was the Messiah to fulfill the scriptures that the Gentiles are reached with that gospel through the Jews. next chapter begins a whole new Gospel revelation by Paul.

The reason I asked for one by Paul was so we could establish a absolute on baptism seeing he is the Apostle to the gentile. I do practice it but i do not teach it as an ordinance or that it should be a new believers "first step of obedience" as some do.

I teach is as an Identification.