Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Default The Companion Bible

Guys,

What do you think of the The Companion Bible Dr. E W Bullinger? I have been told he was a hyper dispensationalists, is this true?

I was thinking about getting The Companion Bible and want to know what bad to look for if there is any. Like the Thompson Chain has some bad references ( Methodist/Pentecostal style references ) as do all other study Bible's. Dake Study Bible ( Dake Annotated Reference Bible ) is the worst of all. Scofield is ok at best, and far better than all of the rest I have seen to date. Other than correcting the AV he is good on most things. So tell me what you know about Bullinger and his Companion Bible before I go out and get one.

Atlas
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Just out of curiosity, what makes you want a "study" Bible? Why not just get a Lewis Bible and then buy some good commentaries or what have you?

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Stephanos,

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what makes you want a "study" Bible?

Well here is one simple example.

1. Scofield Bible: Every Hebrew month, weight, coin, or measure has the English equivalent is in the margin. I do not want to go find some other book when I am reading the Bible to see what month it was when something happened.

Quote:
Jer. 36 22

Now the king sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him.
What is the English equivalent to the " ninth month " Well December is in a note when it says " ninth month " and this is handy information. I do not want to have to look something up every time I read something in the Bible in some other book. the list of examples is endless.

May I ask what makes not you want a "study" Bible? Do you not waste time looking up thing like this all of the time?

Atlas
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Stephanos,

Well here is one simple example.

1. Scofield Bible: Every Hebrew month, weight, coin, or measure has the English equivalent is in the margin. I do not want to go find some other book when I am reading the Bible to see what month it was when something happened.

What is the English equivalent to the " ninth month " Well December is in a note when it says " ninth month " and this is handy information. I do not want to have to look something up every time I read something in the Bible in some other book. the list of examples is endless.

May I ask what makes not you want a "study" Bible? Do you not waste time looking up thing like this all of the time?

Atlas
Well, first I don't think it's a waste of time to look this stuff up, but yes I do look things up quite often when I'm studying (I don't when I'm reading through the Bible since I'd never get through it if I looked up everything that I didn't understand). But when I read something in a book that isn't correct then it's all good because I don't have that erroneous material in my Bible.

By the way, do you own a Lewis Bible? It was you after all that brought them to my attention, and I'd love to see some good photos of their Bible if you do have one.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Stephanos,

Quote:
Well, first I don't think it's a waste of time to look this stuff up

Here is whee we disagree. I do think it is a waste of time to look up some things. Some things are worth looking up and some are not. I own and run a company, work 70 + hours per week, go to church and have a wife to take care of. I can only read the Bible about 1 hour per day at the most and do not have time to look up every little thing. I also do most of my bible reading at night and in bed. I do not want to wake up my wife because I'm always looking up something and for the something I'm looking up not worth the time or effort to look up when I can have it right there with me. I do keep about 15 other books beside my bed to look up words and other things in. My night stand is the only part of my home that looks like a 100% mess. I'm kind of a neat freak with everything but my night stand!! My wife calls me " THE NEAT NAZI " because I demand that everything is always kept clean and neat.

Quote:
By the way, do you own a Lewis Bible?

Yes I do, but i do not have any photos of my Lewis Bible. Sorry even if I did i do not know how I could post them here.

Atlas
Old 01-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Bummer. I use googles http://picasaweb.google.com/ to post to forums.

Cambridge Goatskin Reference KJV Blackletter

Oh and you're not the only one whose bedside is a mess ^_^

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Stephanos,

Nice photos buddy!!!!!!

Do you have any comments on the original question?

Quote:
What do you think of the The Companion Bible Dr. E W Bullinger? I have been told he was a hyper dispensationalists, is this true?

Just wondering, because this post has gotten somewhat of track as many post do. I'm bad at taking post off track also. I do it all of the time.

Atlas
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM

You can view the Companion Bible here:

http://www.companion-bible.com/CBPdffiles/

Do know that he is very much so synonymous with hyperdispensationalism. I've also read that he taught a form annihilationism, although I couldn't find a reference to this.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't be of much help about the companion bible, I have never seen or read any of it. But, I know that when I joined this site I had trouble with what bible was the purified word of God. With the help of Bible Protector and many others here, and with my prayers to the Lord, the right bible for me was shown to me. The best advice I can give you is to place it in the Lord's hands. My sister once told me the same thing about churches. She said if I pray about it and place it into the Lord's hands & it was in the right one, The Lord would let me know.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 AM

Atlas: ---- I have seen a copy of one at the Book store I used to work at. The print style and font and layout of the page are of the old style that you would see in books printed about 1900. I googled and found a link to the author/writer, and a link to a google source showing the Companion Bible starting at the Preface, and then going to Genesis. That way you can judge for yourself how your eyeballs like it.

BTW--- I agree that a Study or Reference Bible are a very nice thing to have, for the reasons you stated. The Companion Bible is the Dad/Older Brother to Scofield's edition.

You didn't ask,,, but I would suggest that you give a look-see to The Open Bible (in the KJV) published by Thomas Nelson. FULL of helps of all kinds ( Like the Thompson Chain-Reference Bible is) and it has a huge Cyclopedic Index up front so that you can look up and find bunches of things. Big difference between the Open and the Thompson is that Thompson has the references in the margins next to the Scripture. Open has the Index up front. Neither of them are Dispensationalist, but rather they encourage the reader to study/decide for himself/herself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._W._Bullinger {Bio and links}

...and now for just about the lloonnggest web address ever:

http://books.google.com/books?id=OII...d=1_1#PPR15,M1

After all that typing I hope you click over there and read/look at the pages.

P.S. hmmm? Don't know how that happened, but I typed in the web address which was about 3 lines for the url and hit "submit reply" and only the first line shows as the link...

Last edited by PB1789; 01-06-2009 at 03:08 AM.