Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 AM

Default Jesus Speaks To Heavy Hearts

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.—Matthew 11:28-30.

All the words of Jesus are full of meaning and rich in expression. The words of these verses seem to be unusually precious even among the sayings of Jesus. The following are some of the things in­cluded in the passage:

1. The invitation of Jesus
"Come unto me." And again, "Take my yoke upon you." And, he continues, "Learn of me." Je­sus invited those who were in need to come and walk and work with him, that they might learn of him and receive his help. Those who accept the invita­tion of Jesus have the blessed privilege of learning the secrets of his soul and the longings of his love, the fellowship of the Father, and the joy of his heart. No invitation could be greater.
2. The compassion of Jesus
"All ye that labour and are heavy laden." Jesus had compassion on the multitudes, but often it seems that he had very special compassion and concern for those who were hard pressed, heavy laden, sick, suffering, and sorrowing. It was so when he gave sight to the blind, life to the leper, strength to the maimed, and salvation to sinners. All who are down­trodden will find a welcome into the heart of Jesus.
3. The humility op Jesus
"I am meek and lowly in heart." Jesus in this statement makes himself the divine example of hu­mility necessary for learning of God. Jesus humbled himself and was made in the likeness of man and took the form of a servant, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. He was always patient, gentle, kind, gracious, and sympa­thetic. He was humble in the true sense. He was humble before God and men.
4. The promise op Jesus
"I will give you rest." "Ye shall find rest unto your souls." How this weary world needs this rest from Christ! Tired and toiling bodies need the rest of Jesus. Confused and cautious minds need this rest. Broken and burdened hearts need the rest Jesus offers. Sinful and sorrowing souls need Jesus. The Lord offers all that is needed for all life. He will keep his promise. Trust him.
5. The contrast of Jesus
"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." The life that Jesus offers is easy and light as com­pared with the heavy penalty and punishment of sin. The Christian life is difficult, but the way of the transgressor is hard. As contrasted with a life of sin, the life with Christ is fuller, richer, sweeter, happier, and will grow more blessed into the beyond. Therefore, accept the yoke of Jesus, learn of him, and feel the rest which he gives.
Accept the invitation of Jesus, learn the compas­sion of his soul, walk in humility with him and know the joy and perfect satisfaction that come from him.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 AM

A nice devotional