Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Heresies & Hereticks

HERESY & HERETICKS

Quote:
Acts 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
This is the first time the word “heresy” shows up in the Bible and is the only verse that gives the Scriptural “meaning” (definition) of the word.

According to the Bible:

HERESY=A belief in a “way” (a doctrine) that is contrary to the “fundamental” beliefs or traditions of a religion. Scriptural or Biblical HERESY = A belief (a “way” or doctrine) that is contrary to a major doctrine contained within the Holy Scriptures and clearly understood and accepted by genuine Bible believers.

WEBSTER’S 1828 DICTIONARY:

HER'ESY, n. Gr. to take, to hold; L. haeresis.
1. A fundamental error in religion, or an error of opinion respecting some fundamental doctrine of religion. But in countries where there is an established church, an opinion is deemed heresy, when it differs from that of the church. The Scriptures being the standard of faith, any opinion that is repugnant to its doctrines, is heresy; but as men differ in the interpretation of Scripture, an opinion deemed heretical by one body of christians,may be deemed orthodox by another. In Scripture and primitive usage,heresy meant merely sect, party, or the doctrines of a sect, as we now use denomination or persuasion, implying no reproach.
2. Heresy, in law, is an offense against Christianity, consisting in a denial of some of its essential doctrines, publicly avowed and obstinately maintained.
3. An untenable or unsound opinion or doctrine in politics.

In this particular case Webster “got it right”!

The Holy Scriptures equal The Truth; The Whole Truth; and Nothing But The Truth; and ANY “way”, belief, or doctrine that is contrary to The Truth equals HERESY. There are no exceptions – regardless of anyone’s “opinion” to the contrary (lost or saved)!

Quote:
1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
This verse [1 Corinthians 11:19] tells us why God allows heresies to crop up and the purpose that heresies serve: There “MUST” be heresies in order for Christians to discern “truth” from “error” (false doctrine); and to identify those Christians who are “approved” of God, from those who are NOT “approved” of God. Heresies “make manifest” (reveal) to the body of Christ those Christians who are genuine Bible believers and those who only give “lip service” to the Bible, but who are in truth Bible professing “Pretenders”.
Quote:
Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
The previous verses demonstrate (unequivocally) the importance that God has placed on heresies; and just how perverse, corrupt, and evil they truly are. {Heresy is NOT just: a “little mistake”, or a “slight error”, or “a mistakenopinion”, or “unbiblical teaching” or “problem causing”, or “an irrelevant issue”, or “likely illegal”, or “honest and sincere human error”, or “a tiny portion”, or “a misinterpretation of the Scriptures”, or justwrong doctrine”, or “a doctrine that is way off-base”, or “simply . . . a single doctrine that is scripturally wrong”, orjust a little limb on the tree”! Heresy is an abomination to God and in God’s view, it is right up there along with adultery, fornication, hatred, drunkenness, idolatry, murder, etc., etc.} Heresy cannot be dismissed as being irrelevant or not important enough to warrant following the Scriptural commands concerning it, just because “good” and “godly” men promote it! {Do we attribute the titles: “good” and “godly” to Christians who commit adultery, fornication, drunkenness, or murder? I trow not! Then why do we commend men who commit heresy?}
Quote:
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
And here in this verse of Scripture we have the words that God caused the apostle Peter to write about “heresies”. Oops, I goofed, He actually called them: “DAMNABLE heresies”! Not very PC of Peter to say such a thing, unless – UNLESS GOD VIEWS HERESY (ANY HERESY) as being DAMNABLE! {*NOT - some of the terms or the many excuses that Christians dream up in order to make the word of God of non effect.} *See some of these terms above.

Quote:
Titus 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
Now we come to the question: What makes a man a Heretick? And Who qualifies to be called a Heretick? Anyone who believes in, or has embraced, or is following a “way” (a false doctrine) that is contrary to sound Biblical Doctrine is a Heretic (regardless of WHO he is, or WHAT he has done!)! I must amend a prior statement I made in a former Post: I said a heretick is someone who TEACHES false doctrine. To be scripturally accurate - a heretic is not always a “FALSE TEACHER” (he may keep his “heresy” to himself). Perhaps in a later Post I will have something to say about “False Teachers” and “False Teachings”; suffice it to say for now, most Hereticks are “False Teachers”; while “False Teachers” are always Hereticks! What I have the hardest time understanding is why a born again child of God has so little fear of God in regards to trying to be as doctrinally PURE as possible. Is there no fear of God with these men - who have the audacity to ADD to, or SUBTRACT from, or CHANGE God’s Holy words to promote their “False Teachings (Doctrines). Is their conscience “seared” or has it become so “defiled” that it is practically inoperable? The following verses emphasize for the genuine Bible believer the paramount importance of embracing and teaching pure doctrine that is sound, uncorrupt, and faithful to God’s word.

Quote:
1 Timothy 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
Those of us who have been called of God to teach and preach the word are COMMANDED to: “teach no other doctrine”.
Quote:
1 Timothy 1:18 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith havemadeshipwreck:
20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.
Please notice that Paul didn’t hesitate to name names when it came to those men (hereticks) who were “shipwrecking” some of the brethren’s “faith”. {Heresies have serious destructive effects – they are not “harmless”, as some would have you believe.}

Quote:
1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Quote:
1 Timothy 4:11 These things command and teach.
12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
Notice the emphasis on “doctrine”? We are to “give attendance” to, and take heed “unto the doctrine” - Not corrupt it with false teaching and private interpretations!.

Quote:
1 Timothy 5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;

1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.
20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.
Notice the emphasis that God puts on those men who “labor” in the word and doctrine? Instead of those who pervert sound doctrine.

Quote:
1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
We are to teach “wholesome words” that reflect sound doctrine. Not teach False Doctrine to draw away disciples after ourselves.

Quote:
1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
15 This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.
We are to “Hold fast the form of sound words. NOT ignore sound words to promote perverse words and corrupt doctrine. Notice again how Paul doesn’t hesitate to identify those men (hereticks) that were perverting God’s words - Unlike the PC Christians of today.
Quote:
2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
17 And theirword will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
Please notice how Paul (once again) identifies those men who’s “word will eat as doth a canker”. Once again dispelling the reluctance on the part of many Christians today to confront hereticks, and REJECT them as the Holy Scriptures command us to! False Doctrine is destructive and can “eat as doth a canker” and possibly “overthrow the faith of some” – It is NOT HARMLESS (as claimed by some Christians today)!

Quote:
2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
I wonder what “time” the Scriptures are referring to here? It couldn’t possibly here and now – could it? Or is this what is going on throughout the so-called “Fundamentalist” & “Evangelical” churches of today? Hmmm?

Quote:
2 Timothy 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
15 Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.
16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
Once again Paul identifies a man who “greatly withstood our (Paul’s) WORDS”. The man was a “heretick” and Paul didn’t hesitate to name him for all to see, and as a warning to all. Quite a difference from the PC Christians of today – wouldn’t you say?
Quote:
Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:
11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.
13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
We are to “hold fast the faithful word” – NOT subvert it with some “False Teaching”. We are to be “sound” in doctrine – NOT insist on teaching “a Pet Doctrine” and undermine the faith of the brethren with “False Doctrine”.

Quote:
Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
We are to speak “sound doctrine” – NOT corrupt doctrine!

Quote:
Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.
Our doctrine is to be uncorrupt – NOT so leavened with lies and half-truths as to deceive the brethren. Our speech must be “sound” – NOT so perverse as to cause the brethren to stumble.

Quote:
Titus 2:15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
There are times when warnings, admonishments, and reproofs are not enough. there are those who need to be rebuked, and we had better not be so PC as to be afraid of speaking plainly and rebuking those (hereticks) that are undermining the faith of many.

Quote:
Titus 3:8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.
9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
A man that is a heretick MUST BE REJECTED for he is “subverted”, and he will seek to “subvert” all those around him, if he’s given the chance! {There are no IFS’, ANDS’ or BUTS’ about this matter. Failure to obey the Scriptures in this matter can only lead to eventual Apostasy!}

SUBVERT
Quote:
Lamentations 3:36 To subvert a man in his cause, the Lord approveth not.

Acts 15:24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

2 Timothy 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Titus 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

Titus 3:11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.
DOCTRINE
Quote:
Deuteronomy 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

Job 11:4 For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes.

Proverbs 4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.

Isaiah 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Isaiah 29:24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

Matthew 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Matthew 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 22:33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Mark 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.

Mark 1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

Mark 4:2 And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

Mark 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 11:18 And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.

Mark 12:38 And he said unto them in his doctrine, Beware of the scribes, which love to go in long clothing, and love salutations in the marketplaces,

Luke 4:32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

John 7:16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 18:19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Acts 5:28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Acts 13:12 Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord.

Acts 17:19 And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart thatform of doctrine which was delivered you.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

1 Corinthians 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Colossians 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men?

1 Timothy 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

1 Timothy 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

1 Timothy 4:6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

1 Timothy 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

1 Timothy 4:16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

1 Timothy 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

Titus 2:7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

Titus 2:10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hebrews 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Hebrews 13:9 Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein.

2 John 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold thedoctrineofBalaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold thedoctrineoftheNicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Revelation 2:24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
LEAVEN
Quote:
Matthew 13:33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 16:11 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

Matthew 16:12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mark 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

Luke 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Luke 13:21 It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

1 Corinthians 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

1 Corinthians 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with oldleaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Galatians 5:9 A littleleaven leaveneth the whole lump.
I ask all who read this Post to consider:

Is there such a thing as harmless “leaven”?

Is “leaven” ever portrayed in the Bible as being “good” – when it comes to doctrine?

Is a man who has embraced a false and pernicious doctrine a heretic?

Is a man who teaches a false doctrine a False Teacher?

If a man is guilty of teaching heresy does he get “a pass” (from God) just because he has done a “work” for God?

If a man is guilty of teaching heresy are we Christians supposed to ignore his “False Teachings” and continue to recommend him because he has done a “work” for God?

When we “search the Scriptures” we find a totally different “take” on heresy and hereticks than what is being urged by many Christians today. Whether they oppose the clear Bible teaching about these things (Including False Teachers, False Teaching, and False Doctrine) because of ignorance or whether through obstinacy, we are to ignore all of their “advise” and private “opinions” and obey God rather than men.

In the end, we are answerable to God – and God only, and someday we shall see who will be “approved” and who will NOT!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Good to have you back, dear brother. As usual, you have provided another thorough and sound Biblical account for another important, and very relevant doctrine. A Biblical teaching all should prayerfully consider and earnestly heed.

This verse came to my mind.
2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Could the habitual and blind heretick actually be lost. Why do people reject plain, simple, straight truth in the word of God? Why do men, after reasonable and sound Biblical persuasion refuse to submit to the truth? It's more than a proud heart. It's a mind that has the inability to be "spiritual."
1 Corinthians

2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
If you have a difficult time understanding the word of God, if the Holy Spirit is not teaching you through the word, if you ignore and debate the sound teaching by many on this Forum who are in unity and agreement, I counsel you to:
2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:

1 John 3:1
Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
Thank you brother George for putting that together in a logical and easy to follow lesson. I feel overwhelmingly blessed for the "love the Father has bestowed upon us".

Your insight makes answering those questions very thought provoking. HERESY, and those who teach it, HERETICKS I think are lacking the last part of John's verse, "because it (the world) knew him not".

Last edited by Gord; 12-10-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 PM

Yes, thought provoking indeed!

I was thinking of really looking up from the Bible what "heresy" or "heretic" really means, and here comes a great post that saved me from a lot of "research time".

Thank you, Brother George! Glad you're back now.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
BrianT

I have two concerns/questions about the original post:

1. Who gets to authoritatively decide what is "sound Biblical Doctrine"?

2. Isn't the implication of the original post that if two Christians are not in 100% agreement with each other doctrinally AND they are not in 100% agreement with sound Biblical doctrine (i.e. rather than just what they may mistakenly think sound Biblical doctrine is), isn't at least one of them a "heretick"?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post

God, in His word, the Bible, backed by the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
2. Isn't the implication of the original post that if two Christians are not in 100% agreement with each other doctrinally AND they are not in 100% agreement with sound Biblical doctrine (i.e. rather than just what they may mistakenly think sound Biblical doctrine is), isn't at least one of them a "heretick"?
"Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel." (Matthew 23:24)

If you have discernment, and study, and search the Scriptures, then by the teaching of God, you will understand the difference between sound and other doctrine. ""But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." (1 John 2:27)

But without trusting in God and the infallibility of His word, you will be anchorless, adrift, in a sea of conflicting ideas proposed by men.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
TimV

Historically, one could say that a heresy is something that if believed will keep a man out of the Kingdom. And that is how you would distinguish it from a false teaching, which wouldn't reach that level.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
God, in His word, the Bible, backed by the Holy Spirit.

"Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel." (Matthew 23:24)

If you have discernment, and study, and search the Scriptures, then by the teaching of God, you will understand the difference between sound and other doctrine. ""But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." (1 John 2:27)

But without trusting in God and the infallibility of His word, you will be anchorless, adrift, in a sea of conflicting ideas proposed by men.
Amen !!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Brian, I'm really attempting to discover what you are thinking.

Simple questions. Do you have a single resource for authoritative, sound, Biblical doctrine? Yes or no.

If yes, what is it?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Re: " Heresies & Hereticks"

Quote:

BrianT,

This is the first & last time I will address you, since I found out long ago that it is useless (and a waste of my time) to deal with sophists.

Sophists are:
2 Timothy 3:7
Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge ofthe truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist thetruth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

#1. I am told (in the King James Bible) to: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." [2 Timothy 2:15] So I study God's Holy word {The King James Bible = Scripture = God's preserved words} and seek the Holy Spirit's guidance for knowledge, discernment and understanding of those Scriptures in determining what is TRUTH. [John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.]

Do I know all Biblical "Truth" - of course not!
However, over the course of the last 50 years - through my studies, and as I have "searched the Scriptures" (which I have in a Book) to see if "whether those things were so", I receive light and confirmation from The Spirit, Who lives within me, "whether those things were so".

So - "Who gets to authoritatively decide what is "sound Biblical Doctrine?" Ultimately I do, since if I don't, someone else is going to decide for me (that's the whole purpose of "studying" the word of God and seeking God's "approval" for "rightly dividing" His word.).

But I don't do these things in a vacuum or on my own, and I don't depend on "schooling"; or professional "scribes" & "scholars"; or even my own intellect. I seek out God's mind on all the issues of life (through His Holy Scriptures - which I have in my hands) and believe what is written in the Bible and act on those things that I learn from it.

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.
1 John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

The people in the Lord Jesus Christ's time were amazed by His miracles, but they were also astonished because: "He taught them as one having AUTHORITY, and NOT as the scribes"!) My FINAL AUTHORITY (in all matters of faith and practice) is the King James Bible, and as such I am answerable to God as to whether I rightly divided the word of truth or not.

I have no "authority" over you or any other Christian (except for my wife), and I cannot "dictate" to you (or any other Christian) what to believe. I can only preach and teach the word of God and let the Holy Spirit do the convincing and convicting.

If I am wrong on a particular doctrine God will not "approve" of my teaching. That is why I am circumspect and extremely cautious about what I teach as doctrine, and hardly ever venture out into "speculation".

Your second point is specious (Sophistical) and I will not bother answering it since it is just a clever subterfuge for more "debate", "profane babblings", and "vain jangling", and instead of edifying the brethren it is contrary to "sound speech" and "wholesome words".