Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
As far as Hyperdispensationalism goes, I haven't met many that really believe it, but I've been accused of believing it and teaching it by Cloudish people for years.

I believe that the Apostles and those saved in Acts 2-7 were accepted into the Church and will be at the marriage supper of the Lamb, but from what I can make out, the Church Age didn't properly start until the final rejection of Christ in Acts 7 with the stoning of Stephen; in the very next chapter, the first Gentile is saved, unarguably by Grace through Faith, as per Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 10:9-10. Immediately following, Paul, the Apostle to the Gentiles, was saved and called in Acts 9.

Overall, I'm cautious when preaching doctrinal stuff out of the Old Testament or the Gospels, as it's easy to get young Christians confused between the Kingdoms and Gospels without an all-out study on the matter, but the entire canon of Scripture is given to us for doctrine, correction, reproof and instruction in righteousness, though perhaps not in exactly that order.

As far as the Bible school thing goes, the only on-site institute I could recommend in good conscience is Pensacola Bible Institute, and correspondence courses would include the Bible Doctrine Institute and Charity Baptist Church's course. Bro. Steve Sturgeon in Dillon, Montana has an institute which my uncle is/was attending, but he has a somewhat more heavy-handed way of running his church, so it's definitely not for everyone.

(See this link for some information and a video that deals with apostasy in the Church and Crown College's response to the message.)
I believe that the Old Testament is a shadow of what has come. I think that it, in its entirety, is excellent doctrinal material when used with discernment by a regenerate man. I have been more edified as of late by my OT reading than I've been by the NT. For me the beauty and finality of the NT is illuminated by the readings of the OT. Also, the Gospels are of vital importance and chaulk full of great teachings. Your concerns about causing confusion are valid, but it's quite easy to remedy that. People just need to be taught that if something contradicts what is taught by our Apostle then that Scripture needs to be understood to be for either another dispensation and or people/nation. The problem is is that that (lol) isn't taught by most churches, and as such most of the Bible simply isn't taught for fear of confusion.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
We have to be careful (extremely careful) that we don't get carried away with Dispensationalism (or any other "pet doctrine" - Prophecy, Tongues, Healing, Hair Covering, Hair Length, Deeper Life, Unity, Love, Evangelicalism, etc., etc., and yes, even King James Onlyism) to the point where we don't maintain the "balance" {Faith, Love, and Truth} that God would have us maintain in our lives.

In order to maintain that "balance" we have to keep our eye on the Lord Jesus Christ at all times and look to His Holy word (and not men) for the answers to all the issues of life.
I just don't know what more to say other than I truly thank God for men like you George, who have the COURAGE to say what you just said. As a former casualty of an Independent, Fundamental Baptist church (and others as a matter of fact) that picked up one or more pet doctrine your statement is encouraging. "Chapter and verse, please" is my question when I'm told what I can and can't do and what I should and shouldn't do. Too many times I get the opinion...

Quote:
Always remember: God wants OBEDIENCE from His people not SACRIFICE! He wants FRUIT in our lives, for if we have FRUIT - the WORKS will follow.
Again, 100% in agreement to this statement. Why must we pollute such a simple gift of grace and love from our Savior when He told Nicodemus "...that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16). Why do we constantly feel the need to add our works to this when we have only been asked to believe and obey (not that obedience is easy - it is not). I believe and have to continually trust that "...he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day..." (Php 1:6).

Thank you again for the words of encouragement George.

Harley
Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Hyper-Dispensationalists are normally very knowledgeable about the Scriptures - but they are also (generally speaking) very proud, vain, and arrogant. They will argue and debate for hours on end without anyone being edified.

I do not believe that there is any "benefit" that can be derived with dealing with them, so I avoid them.
"But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain." (Titus 3:9)

"But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes." (2 Timothy 2:23)

Thanks for your responses, all. This thread has been a pleasure and a blessing to read.