Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 PM
tkg

Question Mark 14:50-52 (Just pondering)

Okay so these verses have me utterly baffled, so I thought I would ask the assistance of some of the wiser men than I.

Mark 14:50-52 And they all forsook him, and fled. And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

These verses just confound me as to there purpose, but please let me elaborate what I can understand out of this. First, remember that Jesus is at Gethsemane, which is at the foot of Mt. of Olives. So the first thing I did was examine where they were. I want you to take note that they are away from any town, and up in the mountains a little ways.

Now I want you to notice verse 50, And they all forsook him. I believe this meant all the disciples with them. But here comes the next verse which says that there followed a certain young man. (In context from what I understand it means a certain young man following Jesus). Having a linen cloth, now remember linen cloth because this is important.

A linen cloth is nothing but a small sheet, that could hardly keep you warm, so lets fast forward later into the evening/morning.

Mark 14:67 And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.

So it was cold enough that you Peter went and found a fire to stand next to to warm himself up. Heres my question, why would a young man, in just a linen cloth, follow Jesus up to Gethsemane. I imagine someone would say to him, hey you, bundle up, or something along those lines. I know there has to be some sort of importance to this (being that all scripture has importance) But I do not understand it. If anyone could shed light upon this particular subject I would be grateful as my mind has been quite drained trying to figure this out.

He left the linen cloth too, and fled naked. I just cant understand the significance of it.

Bold was my added emphasis.

P.S. Commentaries Ive read say hes just some bystander who woke up in a nearby house to check out the commotion, Why then is it so important to record it.

In Love,
-Timothy
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 AM

Sometimes I think that God put pieces of history in the books to help people see that these were real events, not just made up stories. You would think that if these gospels were mere fiction that they would have left out something so silly as this, but this is no mere story. These things happened, and perhaps this element was added to help us remember that these all were real people writting about what they saw and heard. So that being said, there may still be further significance to this, but this was my initial impression when I read your question.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 12-01-2008, 02:23 AM

TKG:--- Try these links to a couple of Commentators who lived in England during the 1700's --- John Gill and Adam Clarke. Very helpful information. I suggest that you make a note of the website address to their commentaries and make it one of your "Favourites" on your computer.

{btw- Gill wrote the only commentary that covers each verse in the Bible---many folks ignore certain verses, because they disagree with them. Not John Gill.}

http://eword.gospelcom.net/comments/...ill/mark14.htm

http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/vi...mr&chapter=014