Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Default Systematic Theology recommendations

Hello everyone,
Would anyone care to recommend or have any recommendations or cautions against Systematic Theology books?

Thank you in advance,
Harley
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 AM

I would recommend "Theological Studies, Volumes 1 & 2" by Dr. Peter S. Ruckman, which can be ordered from http://www.kjv1611.org. The catologue is here http://www.kjv1611.org/2008%20catalog/cat-8-23.pdf

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 12-09-2008, 03:19 AM

Hello Harley. I'd suggest "Systematic Theology" by Louis Berkof. It is well written and readable and Solid. You can find it on Christian Book Distributors { Christianbook.com } for a decent price. Hardback.

The same author has another volume in paperback. "Summary of Christian Doctrine." It is priced less, as it has less content.

"Abstract of Systematic Theology" by J.P. Boyce [ Boyce was one of the Founders of the Southern Baptist Convention Seminary in Kentucky.]

Manual of Theology and Manual of Church Order by John L. Dagg

Hope this helps you.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Lewis Sperry Chafer's 8 volume collection. It's a steal at christianbook.com for under $50.00.
It's the Magna Carta on Dispensational Theology.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debau View Post
Lewis Sperry Chafer's 8 volume collection. It's a steal at christianbook.com for under $50.00.
NICE! I definately need to get this. Thanks.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Here it is for $39.99.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christi..._no&Ntt=ce2345
Old 12-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I have those and purchased them from christianbook.com. I will admit I was surprised to see the RV used as I thought Dallas Theological Seminary in those days used KJV.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789 View Post
Hello Harley. I'd suggest "Systematic Theology" by Louis Berkof. It is well written and readable and Solid. You can find it on Christian Book Distributors { Christianbook.com } for a decent price. Hardback.

The same author has another volume in paperback. "Summary of Christian Doctrine." It is priced less, as it has less content.

"Abstract of Systematic Theology" by J.P. Boyce [ Boyce was one of the Founders of the Southern Baptist Convention Seminary in Kentucky.]

Manual of Theology and Manual of Church Order by John L. Dagg

Hope this helps you.
Thank you. For the Reformed perspective I might try Berkof.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM

Try R. L. Dabney, available online here:
http://www.pbministries.org/R.%20L.%...c_theology.htm

AMR
Old 05-30-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Hello everyone,
Would anyone care to recommend or have any recommendations or cautions against Systematic Theology books?

Thank you in advance,
Harley
Harley, while I was in college, I read nearly all the recommendations from forum members here, they are all good, for practical theology Dr. Ruckman is about the best for general studies such as salvation and the Holy Spirit, etc. When I owned his Theological Studies they were individual booklets and i bought them as he was writing them. I see now he has them all together in a couple volumes. I want them again for a quick reference guide, but the best systematic theology is Isaiah 28:9-13 in a KJV, a good concordance or Bible program like SWORDSEARCHER, E-SWORD, or ONLINE BIBLE, and a thick notebook. An example of what I mean is a recent study in this forum on bible versions that change "faith OF Christ" to "faith IN Christ" that corrupts what I call the doctrine of Imputed Faith that is grounded in Ephesians 2. I tell people that and they give me a blank stare. They never heard of it or even considered it. God does not inspire "new revelations" but if it's for His glory and for the edification of the Body of Christ, He will show you something maybe He didn't show RA Torrey. He showed Luther that indulgences were wrong and what did that fruit produce?

There is not one single verse in the Bible that says Bible study can't be fun or enjoyable, that's what "edification" is about. Building yourself up in His perfect will and knowledge.

Now, have fun my friend, and enjoy!

Tony